Nvidia 3000 Series pricing and specs

Does anyone know when these cards are typically available for pre-order? At the begining middle or end of NVDA presentation?

I would assume afterwards.

That blows, I have a meeting at 1:00pm eastern (10am pacific) which is when I presume the keynote ends, I will need to figure out a way to get out of it so I can pre-order 3090 the moment its listed.

Good that makes it easier for those of us who has no problem spending money to get what we want. For every person who hesitates buying due to price there a person who would snatch it up in a heartbeat.
I mean, if you want to celebrate Nvidia unilaterally deciding to double the cost of video cards over the past 5 years, you do you.

Someone answer this for me then... How is it that a card will have 2080ti level performance for half the price of what I paid for a 2080ti? What the fuck did I spend $1200 on? Why were the RTX 2080tis so overpriced then? I'm not saying that hindsight is 20/20 but what I'm saying is that my assumption with the 2080ti prices (even to this day) was that this was a new price norm. That the new "ultra" cards short of the Titans obviously would be at minimum $1k but now you can get 2080ti level performance for half the price of what even the current top end cards still sell for? 2080tis are still starting at $1k. I've never seen a performance to price difference this radical in a next gen video card compared to the previous top end card in my life.

The 2000 series based on Turing was stuck using an optimized node of Pascal 16-14nm, instead of going 7nm. So the performance difference wasn't that much.
Many of us that saw this skipped Turing and stayed with Pascal until Ampere is released. I got a low end 2060 to hold me over.

In comes Ampere, again on a questionable node (Samsung 8nm?) so power draw is high but they are getting back the performance left on the table by Turing and the normal increase in performance created by a new arch.
This isn't some revolutionary performance jump because of the arch, just a combination of circumstances that will yield a big performance jump this generation.

XenIneX
For a lot of years I wouldn’t spend over $300 on a graphics card.

I paid in that neighborhood for my Orchid Righteous 3D and most cards subsequently for about 20 years.

That $300 scheme worked till about 2017 when I bought a 1080TI.

Can’t spend $300 now and buy anything but the xx60 series which is the intro enthusiast card...

The game has changed...

I mean, if you want to celebrate Nvidia unilaterally deciding to double the cost of video cards over the past 5 years, you do you.
For a lot of years I wouldn’t spend over $300 on a graphics card.

I paid in the neighborhood for my orchid righteous 3D and most cards subsequently for about 20 years.

That $300 scheme worked till about 2017 when I bought a 1080TI.

Can’t spend $300 now and buy anything but the xx60 series which is the intro enthusiast card...

The game has changed...
Really hope for some competition from AMD (will likely wait it out for AMD product unless I am pleasantly suprised by the prices, which I highly doubt), if Ngreedia had their way 300$ would not be enough to buy even xx60 class of cards (like some rumors suggest now). Pre-order success (video games) showed that there are many, many people who look for ways to part with as much of their money as possible. Titan showed Nvidia the way forwards and 2080ti cemented it.

News flash. Stuff in demand, sells out. This happens to every hot new GPU/CPU.

Yeah but with a tiny quantity it isn't exactly high demand either but rather one created through artificial inventory limitation and a healthy dose of PR to target those who have the propensity to spend on any new shiny toy that comes to market (e.g. the same fools who buy $1000+ PlayStations on eBay from scalpers).

18e845f21461041b8d55b71a2a988d2d.png

That above shows how much "demand" there really is for halo cards. But yeah you're right, I'm sure all 1000 cards of 3090 NVIDIA makes will sell out instantly and we can then label it a success and use buzzwords like "demand" and "hot".

Last edited:
News flash. Stuff in demand, sells out. This happens to every hot new GPU/CPU.

Yes, and nV's model leverages that demand to control prices through supply. The model is not to flood the channel with cards to meet demand: it's rather to finely control supply over time to track with demand which allows them to influence the strike price.

Product pricing is much more nuanced than just "churn out supply to meet demand" nowadays. Supply on an absolute level will certainly not be able to meet demand on launch, that's a given. This is advantageous (to nV) from a pricing perspective since coming to market at a high strike price (aligning to customer what the consumer sees as intrinsic value) is essential to set the pace for the rest of the product's sales lifecycle. Following launch, nV then employs multiple levers -- tight supply control being one -- to prop and stabilize the price.

View attachment 275165

That above shows how much "demand" there really is for halo cards. But yeah you're right, I'm sure all 1000 cards of 3090 NVIDIA makes will sell out instantly and we can then label it a success and use buzzwords like "demand" and "hot".

Not sure you want to use the steam survey to make that point. The 5700 xt still hasn't caught the 2080 Ti and it's a great card at less than half the price.

Forum griping aside, Nvidia is clearly pricing their cards properly given their financial and market share successes. Those things don't happen when people aren't buying your stuff.

My theory on the reason for no Titan is because they’re gonna do a cut down a100 with fp64 not neutered etc. Basically make it proper prosumer.

there’s a market for that for a bunch of use cases but where the tax for quadro is stupid as you’re running the compute part through pytorch Etc and don’t give a fuck about the drivers and rendering.

Captures the people who want fastest no matter the cost, but also is actually useful differentiation. If they did one that supported the multi instance gpu at a lower too I’d be over the moon.

So 3090 is just Ti with less stupid naming where people don’t know Ti is actually quite different. Even to people that follow it, it wasn’t obvious that the Ti had a heap more stream processors and was completely different.

Someone answer this for me then... How is it that a card will have 2080ti level performance for half the price of what I paid for a 2080ti? What the fuck did I spend $1200 on? Why were the RTX 2080tis so overpriced then? I'm not saying that hindsight is 20/20 but what I'm saying is that my assumption with the 2080ti prices (even to this day) was that this was a new price norm. That the new "ultra" cards short of the Titans obviously would be at minimum $1k but now you can get 2080ti level performance for half the price of what even the current top end cards still sell for? 2080tis are still starting at $1k. I've never seen a performance to price difference this radical in a next gen video card compared to the previous top end card in my life.

You just now realized the 2080Ti was/is overpriced? The $1200 price tag didn't clue you in?

so the flagship 3090 is literally more then double the cost of the 2nd fastest card (3080)??...$1500 for the 3090 and $700 for the 3080

there was a small bit of text on the 3090 reveal that said available September 24th on nvidia and retailers.

Reactions: Bees
like this
We will know soon. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/special-event/

21 years, 21 days and now it is 21 hours at the time of posting. Who's going to post the next 21 min, and then 21 sec? ;)

View attachment 274970

As for the price, hoping for a cut to 21 rather than the usual 99

> GeForce RTX 3090: $1399 $1321.21 $1499 MRSP

> GeForce RTX 3080: $799 $721.21 $699 MRSP

> GeForce RTX 3070: $599 $521.21 $499 MRSP

> GeForce RTX 3060: $399 $321.21

....wishful thinking, lol

I was very close on pricing except for RTX 3090. My wish come true :)

Wow!
I was not expecting those prices.
Glad I sold my GTX1080Ti
I can now buy the GTX3070 for almost even.

What I am dying to know is the physical size of these cards, both the 3080 and the 3090. I have a new build using a Fractal Design Node 804 case and for the graphics card I am limited to 290mm if I want to keep one of the front fans in place or 320mm if I am willing to remove one of the front fans. I am leaning towards the 3090 but it really comes down to space.

Am I to understand that Ti versions have been axed? Or is this a case of normal, then 2nd from top later?

I have a feeling the 3090 is the new Titan and a 3080ti will come out at some point.

Every rumor was saying the 3090 was replacing the Ti's but after that event, i'm going to have to agree with you. I think we're still yet to see a Ti.

3070 faster than a 2080ti! :eek:

So glad I skipped Turing. "To my pascal friends, it's safe to upgrade".

Thanks Jensen, I just might! :cool:

Oh well it was a good run with the 2080ti.. I'd like to see if that's in every situation etc..

Yes indeed. Very interesting turn of events. Surprised nVIDIA for the 3070 and 3080 kept the MSRP the same as 2070 Super and 2080 Super. Granted when AIB's release their cards they will have their own price spectrum when they release their own cards based on the chipsets but the fact nVIDIA didn't up the price on 3070 and 3080 when they clearly had the opportunity pleases me. Keeping prices on point with 2070 Super and 2080 Super is still expensive, don't get me wrong but it could've easily been more. In a way, I feel like that was a little gift for the consumer. Now onto the 3090. I shall dub it "Megaweapon". Yes...a Megaweapon that very few people will be able to afford. $1499??? You could build an entire good quality desktop with that (and maybe include a 3070/3080 in said build) with that much money if you chose your parts wisely. I see 2 types of customers lining up for 3090: the first type is one who set aside money in their spending budget for 2020 for the card, have planned to buy it months in advance and have the money already or mostly saved up. The second type is those who are wealthy enough by disposable income available where spending $1499 on a 3090 is just a simple and minor write off to them. But 3080 and 3070 are lining up to be very I think the word I'll use here is pleasing. Thanks and until next time I am out!

Back