Nvidia 1080ti Preorder Now Available via Nvidia's site.

Yeah, this was up last night surprisingly. Too bad the price on their 1080 was only moved to $549 and not $499 like the announced to the world.

Yeah, this was up last night surprisingly. Too bad the price on their 1080 was only moved to $549 and not $499 like the announced to the world.

This morning it was just showing "Notify Me". Was it showing preorder last night?

This morning it was just showing "Notify Me". Was it showing preorder last night?

I don't think so, I checked it a couple of times last night and this morning and at 11 EST and it was still saying Notify Me and I never got an email about pre-order availability.

I sat online starting at 0800 PST and kept clicking refresh for a few minutes before it finally popped up to allow preorders. I got one done, and a couple minutes later it was back to "notify me".

Dang it, figured I was too slow. Looking to pick up two and figured it wasn't going to be easy.

There was a difference between the store page and the product page. One showed preorder while the other showed notify me. They were not in sync.

There was a difference between the store page and the product page. One showed preorder while the other showed notify me. They were not in sync.
I would stick to the store page. The same thing happened when the Titan X was released last August, and the store page was the most reliable to lurk.

Why are they comparing the numbers, in their graphs, to a 980Ti? Wouldn't it be more comparable to a 1080?

Might be finally time to upgrade my Titan X (non-Pascal). Thoughts on performance gains? Gaming on a Acer Predator XB321HK.

Why are they comparing the numbers, in their graphs, to a 980Ti? Wouldn't it be more comparable to a 1080?

Might be finally time to upgrade my Titan X (non-Pascal). Thoughts on performance gains? Gaming on a Acer Predator XB321HK.

Because they're comparing this gen Ti to last gen Ti. They've got a lot of numbers on 1080 to 1080Ti as well, even in Nvidia's own slides from the press event yesterday.

Is this kind of like the Titan where you have to buy from Nvidia or will there be others?

nm

I see where there is going to be Asus and MSI so far...

hmmm.

now decisions decisions...

Last edited:
WTF, so much for "Notify when available" bullshit. Never got a mail and now they aren't available.

Because they're comparing this gen Ti to last gen Ti. They've got a lot of numbers on 1080 to 1080Ti as well, even in Nvidia's own slides from the press event yesterday.

That is also SOP for them the last couple generations. The compare Ti to last and and regular to last regular. I think the thinking is most people don't buy every single card release (much though nVidia would like that) but either refresh to the "regular" cards or the "enthusiast" cards and so they compare those.

That is also SOP for them the last couple generations. The compare Ti to last and and regular to last regular. I think the thinking is most people don't buy every single card release (much though nVidia would like that) but either refresh to the "regular" cards or the "enthusiast" cards and so they compare those.

Well, you gotta pick some standard, it really doesn't matter if they compare base-to-base or Ti-to-Ti, as long as they do it the same way every time. If they start changing it up in the pre-release press materials, then I get suspicious that they're trying to conceal something.

Nvidia is extremely proud of the 1080ti and it is unequivocally the best ti variant they have ever released. Price and performance are remarkable for a Halo product in this enthusiast class. This is an example of a company giving all the information possible they can to consumers so they can make a decision. They aren't hiding behind paltry claims like when AMD said the FURY was the best 4k experience in the world, with nothing to back it up. Nvidia is giving real world benchmarks across their entire product line because this truly is a rare situation where they simply have a ridiculous amount of performance available at a price that doesn't fit the current market. It's just historically WAY too much performance for the price and they want you to see that this is THE CARD to buy if you are even remotely close to being in this market of GPU class.

We're in a weird situation where there is essentially more GPU available then games currently take advantage of. Fortunately we have 4k which until now had been virtually impossible to put together the best experience with short of buying a titan x for $1200. You don't buy this level of kit to turn any options down. Until game developers start to usher in a new era of game design that DX12 has utterly failed to do, and may not provide till the next console cycle years from now, driving up that GB of ram will in my opinion start to create the environment we need for better textures that really make your eyes say wow. I think either Carmack or Romero said in an interview a decade ago that we were going to need 10GB of memory on graphics cards to get that truly realistic look from textures that has eluded us forever.

Nvidia is extremely proud of the 1080ti and it is unequivocally the best ti variant they have ever released. Price and performance are remarkable for a Halo product in this enthusiast class. This is an example of a company giving all the information possible they can to consumers so they can make a decision. They aren't hiding behind paltry claims like when AMD said the FURY was the best 4k experience in the world, with nothing to back it up. Nvidia is giving real world benchmarks across their entire product line because this truly is a rare situation where they simply have a ridiculous amount of performance available at a price that doesn't fit the current market. It's just historically WAY too much performance for the price and they want you to see that this is THE CARD to buy if you are even remotely close to being in this market of GPU class.

We're in a weird situation where there is essentially more GPU available then games currently take advantage of. Fortunately we have 4k which until now had been virtually impossible to put together the best experience with short of buying a titan x for $1200. You don't buy this level of kit to turn any options down. Until game developers start to usher in a new era of game design that DX12 has utterly failed to do, and may not provide till the next console cycle years from now, driving up that GB of ram will in my opinion start to create the environment we need for better textures that really make your eyes say wow. I think either Carmack or Romero said in an interview a decade ago that we were going to need 10GB of memory on graphics cards to get that truly realistic look from textures that has eluded us forever.

I don't think that it will happen. Monitor and cable technology are starting to lag behind by a large margin.

I think you're right about the next cycle of consoles - of which I don't consider the PS4 Pro / Scorpio to be. The high end gaming PC marketing is dying off. It never will completely while there's money to be made, but you look at now compared to 5-10 years ago and it's pathetic.

A lot of us are still hanging in there. But there just isn't as much content for PC gamers these days. I honestly don't think we'll ever see another graphically mind blowing game like Crysis any time soon.

I don't think that it will happen. Monitor and cable technology are starting to lag behind by a large margin.

I think you're right about the next cycle of consoles - of which I don't consider the PS4 Pro / Scorpio to be. The high end gaming PC marketing is dying off. It never will completely while there's money to be made, but you look at now compared to 5-10 years ago and it's pathetic.

A lot of us are still hanging in there. But there just isn't as much content for PC gamers these days. I honestly don't think we'll ever see another graphically mind blowing game like Crysis any time soon.

What exactly is "pathetic" about high end PC gaming compared to 5-10 years ago?

That's what I mean. What is pathetic about today? 4k gaming? 144hz displays? 8 core CPUs at 4 core prices? m.2 NVMe SSDs?

The games.

Maybe the people? I don't know.

Maybe it's the games caused by the people or the fundamental fabric of this ever expanding universe.

Seriously... anyone saying 2017 is pathetic is playing console ports using a xbone controller.

The rest of us are starving for GPU and single core processing power, trying to run games at:
-1440p 144hz+
-Vive or oculus displays

And current cpus and gpus are not able to do it with the way games are programmed today.

We'd need twice the power we have now to be satisfied.

I love when people say i7 7700k isnt worth it, still using cpu from 4 years ago just fine, or 1080ti isnt worth it, still on 980 just fine. I guess its fine if you play 60hz 1080p cities skylines, cs go, WoW and call it a day.

There really is a massive opportunity for CPU improvement if they can figure out how to use more threads without reprogramming each application. So much unharnessed power out there running on the extra cores/threads...

IMO this is what AMD is betting on with Ryzen (and I am wishfully thinking with my 12 thread cpu)

The games.

Maybe the people? I don't know.

Maybe it's the games caused by the people or the fundamental fabric of this ever expanding universe.

I don't know if I'd call it pathetic...I think there's a lot of really good games out there these days. There's also a lot of crap, but that's always been true.

Seriously... anyone saying 2017 is pathetic is playing console ports using a xbone controller.

The rest of us are starving for GPU and single core processing power, trying to run games at:
-1440p 144hz+
-Vive or oculus displays

And current cpus and gpus are not able to do it with the way games are programmed today.

We'd need twice the power we have now to be satisfied.

I love when people say i7 7700k isnt worth it, still using cpu from 4 years ago just fine, or 1080ti isnt worth it, still on 980 just fine. I guess its fine if you play 60hz 1080p cities skylines, cs go, WoW and call it a day.

Are you a telepath? I do have some console controllers for racing and platform games.

I just don't enjoy most of the games now. I have a GSYNC 1440p display at 165hz. Wouldn't really say that I'm starving for GPU power. I'm not really missing out on much as far as I know.

It's not the experience I don't like so much as the content.

I don't know if I'd call it pathetic...I think there's a lot of really good games out there these days. There's also a lot of crap, but that's always been true.

Yeah that's true.

I just feel like you used to be able to pick a game up off of the shelf and 9/10 it was great.

Now 9/10 it's shit. Or you play it for an hour and give no fucks ever again.

Maybe it's just the whole pre-order / Early Access thing that threw everything out of whack.

I just realized that the initials for Early Access are EA. Funny.

You can now return those games on steam if youre careful not to go over the 2 hours.

Yes most of the time the early abcess games are shit or show good promise then get abandoned. Day z still sucks and it was a PC exclusive experience that had massive promise and potential.

Yeah that's true.

I just feel like you used to be able to pick a game up off of the shelf and 9/10 it was great.

Now 9/10 it's shit. Or you play it for an hour and give no fucks ever again.

Maybe it's just the whole pre-order / Early Access thing that threw everything out of whack.

I just realized that the initials for Early Access are EA. Funny.

I think that may be nostalgia speaking to you. I recently built a RetroPie to play a bunch of old NES and SNES game. After going through a couple hundred of them, I've realized they're much like today. There's a few really good ones, and the rest are just trash, or re-hashed trash, or crap movie/TV tie-ins. You remember the good games, but you tend to forget all the crap from the time.

I'm guessing our day will the same. 10-15 years from now no one will remember most of the games on the shelf, but there will be some gems.

Reactions: DPI
like this
I think that may be nostalgia speaking to you. I recently built a RetroPie to play a bunch of old NES and SNES game. After going through a couple hundred of them, I've realized they're much like today. There's a few really good ones, and the rest are just trash, or re-hashed trash, or crap movie/TV tie-ins. You remember the good games, but you tend to forget all the crap from the time.

I'm guessing our day will the same. 10-15 years from now no one will remember most of the games on the shelf, but there will be some gems.
I still love diablo 2

Are you a telepath? I do have some console controllers for racing and platform games.

I just don't enjoy most of the games now. I have a GSYNC 1440p display at 165hz. Wouldn't really say that I'm starving for GPU power. I'm not really missing out on much as far as I know.

It's not the experience I don't like so much as the content.

Well then it's really not high end gaming that's pathetic, it's that it isn't catering to your tastes. There's plenty of games pushing the envelope and there's even more now coming from smaller developers that don't. The big publishers left a huge gap where smaller Devs thrive now when they started their AAA arms race in the pursuit of the next billion dollar game franchise.

Witcher 3 is a great example of a game pushing PCs to the bleeding edge. How about Ghost Recon Wildlands or Ashes of the Singularity if strategy is your thing.

144hz is just a lame number put out by LCD enthusiasts. CRT's gave better, smoother gameplay at 60-85hz, and you're just trying to get a similar experience on a tech that has trouble keeping up with response/refresh smoothness. This doesn't mean that games are amazing, it just means that you're trying to OVERCOMPENSATE for a technology that never delivered on pc gaming needs in the first place. That's like saying, we can't game at 8k perfectly on a brand new AAA title so gpu's are trash.

I'll be spending time on nowinstock I guess.. again. Or maybe getting lucky at Frys..

Something strange happened. I had a 1080ti in my cart but it went out of stock as I submitted my CC info. I kept getting emails from Nvidia saying my 1080ti was still in my cart and to click a link to finish. Everytime i would do this it either gave me an error or said it was out of stock. On a chance I thought i would try it last night and to my amazement it let me complete the pre order! If someone else had this happen, try again.

144hz is just a lame number put out by LCD enthusiasts. CRT's gave better, smoother gameplay at 60-85hz, and you're just trying to get a similar experience on a tech that has trouble keeping up with response/refresh smoothness. This doesn't mean that games are amazing, it just means that you're trying to OVERCOMPENSATE for a technology that never delivered on pc gaming needs in the first place. That's like saying, we can't game at 8k perfectly on a brand new AAA title so gpu's are trash.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was based on maintaining the ability to watch 24fps content.

My son keeps his 144 at 120 because that lets him watch 30/60 fps content without issues. Kids and youtube ... I just run 144...

120 works fine for 24fps as well. 24*5=120 so all you do is display each frame 5 times in a row. That's actually why 120Hz was a particular target is because it can handle all NTSC framerates and cinema frame rate with integer multiples. The PAL kids get left out in the cold, but unfortunately to get those in as well you have to go to 600Hz, that's the lowest rate that can do 24, 25, 30, 50, and 60 all with integer multiples. As a practical matter since LCDs can't handle that ones that can change their clock rate are a more useful solution.

I'm not sure where 144Hz came from, my guess is just what was a reasonably easy next target, much like 165Hz.

I've been looking around online trying to find any GTX 1080Ti's in stock or even available for an actual pre-order. Not surprisingly, I've seen a bunch of NVIDIA Founder's Edition cards on fleabay. Seems many of them are being resold there for an inflated price.

Last edited:
I've been looking around online trying to find any GTX 1080Ti's in stock or even available for an actual pre-order. Not surprisingly, I've seen a bunch of NVIDIA Founder's Edition cards on fleabay. Seems many of them are being resold there for an inflated price.

Should report them to eBay since they are selling shit they don't have. Near as I know, preorders haven't shipped yet. I imagine they won't ship until the embargo on reviews lifts. So these are peopel who are selling something they claim they'll have later, which I don't think eBay permits.

Back