Nvidia 1080 ti / Titan XP / 2080 ti

Xpoz

n00b
Good morning guys,

I'm new here and I'm actually looking for some information.

Hope I'm in the right section to be honest, tell me if it's not the case :)

Alright, basically I bought a 1080 from Palit Jetstream when they were announced and today I feel the need to change it and upgrade but I don't know which path should I take:

- Upgrade for a 1080 ti OC / Aorus / Evga for example
- Upgrade for a Titan XP: will it be a significant improvement compare to a 1080 ti OC?
- Upgrade for a 2080 ti (but honestly, I'm not sure it's worth it)

I'm playing with a MAG27CQ as a screen so 1440p 144hz. Right now for example on Forza horizon 4 I'm around 90fps with some options down and I would love to be up 110..

I saw many threads around here with really attractive prices like:
- 550$ for a 1080 ti
- 700$ for a Titan XP

And of course, if I could sell my 1080 for a good price then it would be perfect and will save me some money :)

So, that's why I'm asking you today, what should I do?

Thanks a lot guys

If you can snag a good deal on a GTX 1080 Ti that will be a nice little upgrade for good bang/buck. I would ignore both the Titan XP (just a wee bit faster than a 1080 Ti) and the 2080 Ti (more expensive for 30% faster than the 1080 Ti).

If you sell your 1080 and buy a used or good deal 1080 Ti you'll probably spend around $300 or less. It would be around $900 extra to go 2080 Ti...so it's up to your budget and stomach for bang/buck.

Yeah well, as Sk3tch said, it's a gap

Because, I don't even know if I can sell my 1080 for 400$, but let's say:

- I sell it for 400$
- Found a 1080ti for 550$

= 150$ spend for a good upgrade

Whereas if I go to the 2080ti it's 700$ :D

Yeah well, as Sk3tch said, it's a gap

Because, I don't even know if I can sell my 1080 for 400$, but let's say:

- I sell it for 400$
- Found a 1080ti for 550$

= 150$ spend for a good upgrade

Whereas if I go to the 2080ti it's 700$ :D
I did a 1080 -> 1080ti upgrade because I got my first 1440p 165hz panel. It was absolutely a noticeable upgrade and well worth the money, in my opinion. YMMV.

$1,200 for an XX80ti is ridiculous from a value standpoint. Comparing the 2080ti to the 1080ti, you're looking at a ~30% performance increase for a roughly ~70% cost increase, and the shiny new Tray Racing and Damn Lucrative Super Sampling tech that Nvidia is marketing so heavily won't be mainstream until the 20-series is at least a generation or two outdated.

I did a 1080 -> 1080ti upgrade because I got my first 1440p 165hz panel. It was absolutely a noticeable upgrade and well worth the money, in my opinion. YMMV.

$1,200 for an XX80ti is ridiculous from a value standpoint. Comparing the 2080ti to the 1080ti, you're looking at a ~30% performance increase for a roughly ~70% cost increase, and the shiny new Tray Racing and Damn Lucrative Super Sampling tech that Nvidia is marketing so heavily won't be mainstream until the 20-series is at least a generation or two outdated.

Yeah you are right, guess I will just try to sell my 1080, maybe here? But I don't have the access to do so and buy a 1080 ti from Aorus or Evga would be really awesome

How many perf did you notice?

Yeah you are right, guess I will just try to sell my 1080, maybe here? But I don't have the access to do so and buy a 1080 ti from Aorus or Evga would be really awesome

How many perf did you notice?
I got a 30-40% boost in FPS across most of the games I play.

The 1080 allowed me to have all the eye candy on max and locked at 144FPS back when I had a 1080p display. However, after upgrading my monitor to 1440p, a lot of my games were falling sub-100, with the more demanding games getting down into the 70s.

The 1080ti fixed that. It would have been a waste if I only had a 1080p panel, but if you want 1440p @ 144hz, the 1080ti is the sweet spot. Especially if you find a good deal on a used one.

Personally I'd recommend the Asus Strix 1080ti. The cooler is a beefsteak and it's got really neat features, like PWM fan headers that you can plug your case fans into so they ramp with GPU temperature.

I got a 30-40% boost in FPS across most of the games I play.

The 1080 allowed me to have all the eye candy on max and locked at 144FPS back when I had a 1080p display. However, after upgrading my monitor to 1440p, a lot of my games were falling sub-100, with the more demanding games getting down into the 70s.

The 1080ti fixed that. It would have been a waste if I only had a 1080p panel, but if you want 1440p @ 144hz, the 1080ti is the sweet spot. Especially if you find a good deal on a used one.

Personally I'd recommend the Asus Strix 1080ti. The cooler is a beefsteak and it's got really neat features, like PWM fan headers that you can plug your case fans into so they ramp with GPU temperature.

Thanks dude, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Now I just need to sell my 1080 :D

Don't bother with the Titan Xp. The 1080 Ti is nearly as fast and cheaper.

2080 Ti would be a nice upgrade if you can swing the cash. But most people seem to think it's not worth the price.

The 1080 Ti is probably your best bet unless you really want to the performance and have money burning a hole in your wallet.

2080 Ti would be a nice upgrade if you can swing the cash. But most people seem to think it's not worth the price.
It's not.

I mean... Being real here, it's a luxury item for a luxury niche. There's no ROI to calculate; no one needs a gaming PC.

However, in price/performance, the closest-to-pragmatic value metric we have, the entire 20 series fails spectacularly.

There are certainly reasons to buy them. Wanting the thing is as valid a reason as any to buy the thing, it's just a personal reason and is solidly divorced from value in this case.

Haha unfortunately no, I'm going to see it tonight so I will keep you posted.

I have people saying that I'm dumb to buy it instead of a 1080 ti, that it's not for gaming blabla so Im not that confident to be honest

Well, I found a Titan XP for 600$, brand new so I will go for it

Make sure it's the Xp, the Titan X Pascal sometimes gets called the XP - Nvidia never called it that.

Haha unfortunately no, I'm going to see it tonight so I will keep you posted.

I have people saying that I'm dumb to buy it instead of a 1080 ti, that it's not for gaming blabla so Im not that confident to be honest

They don't know what they are talking about, the Xp is as much for gaming as the Ti. It's just that there was Titan X Pascal 2016, 1080Ti, and Titan Xp. The Xp is the only one I'd buy over a Ti.

Make sure it's the Xp, the Titan X Pascal sometimes gets called the XP - Nvidia never called it that.

They don't know what they are talking about, the Xp is as much for gaming as the Ti. It's just that there was Titan X Pascal 2016, 1080Ti, and Titan Xp. The Xp is the only one I'd buy over a Ti.

Tht's good to know then, thank you for your thought :)

It's a XP, I saw the box so I'm sure it is one but I will double check :D

But the guy who wanted to buy my 1080 asked me 350$ instead of 400$... So i'm not sure if I can buy it anymore

Is it too high 400$ for a 1080 from Palit?

Damn it

Last edited:
If you found a real Titan Xp for $600 that's a good deal. Just make sure it's a 2017 Titan not 2016 Titan Pascal. I've seen lots cards on ebay marked incorrectly.

I have a Titan Xp in my waterloop overclocked to just under 2100 mhz. At that speed it's consistently 10-15% faster than a 1080ti. More than just a "wee bit". However with the stock cooler you do run into thermal throttling and overclocking is much more limited. With the stock cooler its only about 5% faster than a good AIB 1080ti. Good luck with that.

If you found a real Titan Xp for $600 that's a good deal. Just make sure it's a 2017 Titan not 2016 Titan Pascal. I've seen lots cards on ebay marked incorrectly.

I have a Titan Xp in my waterloop overclocked to just under 2100 mhz. At that speed it's consistently 10-15% faster than a 1080ti. More than just a "wee bit". However with the stock cooler you do run into thermal throttling and overclocking is much more limited. With the stock cooler its only about 5% faster than a good AIB 1080ti. Good luck with that.

Thanks for your help,

How can I be sure it's the 2017 and not the 2016 model?

The guy seems legit and stuff but I will ask if I can have a video of the card running or if I can see it by myself..

Well no one wants to buy my 1080 at 400 so I guess my hopes are too high

Well, if it's in his machine you can have him run GPUz to make sure it's a Titan Xp. Otherwise physically the cards are really similar. The only real difference externally is the Titan Xp has a Brown PCB whereas the Titan X is much lighter. Also the Titan X has a DVI connector. Titan Xp does not. Titan Xp on the right versus Titan X (pascal) on the left.

nvidia-titan-xp-vs-titan-x-01.jpg

If you plan to go 4K in the future, the 1080Ti will work (I have the Aorus Waterforce with decent OC), or if you have the money, you could go 2080Ti for future proofing and better 4K performance since it has more ram than the 1080Ti. You can also look at the difference in performance at 4K from 1080 to 2080Ti, which is double the performance than 1080Ti to 2080Ti, which is 30%. People will regurgitate the 30% increase from 1080Ti to 2080Ti, but the performance is much higher going from 1080 to 2080Ti and especially so for 4K if you go that route down the road.

People will regurgitate the 30% increase from 1080Ti to 2080Ti, but the performance is much higher going from 1080 to 2080Ti and especially so for 4K if you go that route down the road.
Well... yes. Upgrading from the second-to-best of last generation will be a larger jump than upgrading from the best of last generation.

People "regurgitate" the 30% number because of how striking it is next to the 70% price increase when compared to the previous generation - the apples-to-apples comparison, if you will.

Yeah, it's a good point though. Not everyone already has a 1080 Ti. For example, I'm running GTX 1080 in the rig I want to upgrade, and a 2080 Ti can be 50 - 100% better in some games.

Well, if it's in his machine you can have him run GPUz to make sure it's a Titan Xp. Otherwise physically the cards are really similar. The only real difference externally is the Titan Xp has a Brown PCB whereas the Titan X is much lighter. Also the Titan X has a DVI connector. Titan Xp does not. Titan Xp on the right versus Titan X (pascal) on the left.

View attachment 108972

Alright thanks a lot,

Well I'm pretty sure now it's the Xp and also he sent me a pic of the back of the card so I can see up the serial number it shows :Titan Xp

So well That's cool but the mian problem is to sell my 1080, apparently people don't want them...

Yes but as you said, in this case I will only have 250$ to put to have a 30% improvement with the 1080ti / Titan Xp whereas 700-800$ for the 2080ti

Yeah, it's a good point though. Not everyone already has a 1080 Ti. For example, I'm running GTX 1080 in the rig I want to upgrade, and a 2080 Ti can be 50 - 100% better in some games.
Sure. But at a significantly higher cost than the measurable performance increase you'd get from upgrading to a 1080ti.

This forum seems to have a disproportionately large number of people for whom money is no object. Nothing wrong with that - you put your money where your priorities are, and everyone's entitled to do so.

I just get all white-knightey when I read posts by folks who apparently read the Tom's Hardware article and decided "yep, that's a rational stance, gonna stick with that one. After all, how many days of my life do I want to not have ray tracing?" :rolleyes:

Exactly right. I think the price increase is terrible, but if you go from 1080 to 2080Ti then it looks better. This is a scenario benefiting 4K users more than anything though.

Exactly right. I think the price increase is terrible, but if you go from 1080 to 2080Ti then it looks better. This is a scenario benefiting 4K users more than anything though.

Yeah and honestly I'm not ready to play at 60fps and in 4k... I have my TV for that

Plus I have several monitors in 1440p as a MAC27CQ or a PQ348Q so, I'm not ready to invest :D

Yeah, the 2080 Ti may be too much for you then. A Titan Xp for $600 is a steal. You should get on that ASAP.

Yup will try asap, just need to find a good price to sell my 1080 without losing too much

if you can sell your 1080 for a decent price, the used 1080ti market is extremely delicious right now. Unless you want to make a serious investment into a 2080ti, which would just boil down to your financial situation, how obsessed you are with gaming, and if you need that extra performance at hi resolution.

Yeah well, I tried to lower my price but even at 380$ I don't have any calls or emails...

Guess the 1080 are useless now or not " Trendy"

Edit: got someone for 350$ so

Last edited:
Just a quick heads up.

The guy didn't buy it so...

I don't understand why even at 350$ I have 0 calls or emails for a card I payed around 750$ 2 years ago

Just a quick heads up.

I don't understand why even at 350$ I have 0 calls or emails for a card I payed around 750$ 2 years ago
Market saturation. Lots of 1080 owners are in that boat with you - they've decided to upgrade, whether to a 1080ti or to a 20-series, and are looking to sell their cards.

Have you tried posting it on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here on [H]?

Market saturation. Lots of 1080 owners are in that boat with you - they've decided to upgrade, whether to a 1080ti or to a 20-series, and are looking to sell their cards.

Have you tried posting it on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here on [H]?

Well I don't have the rights to do so...

My only options are Craiglist and Facebook Marketplace but yeah that's complicated specially when I have to buy the titan Xp tonight :D

Just a quick heads up.

You can't brag about paying $600 for a card that was selling for $1200 2 months ago, and then complain that no one wants to pay 50% for your 2 year old card. You have to be realistic. Look at what the market is currently paying. I can look on ebay right now and find several 1080s for $350. But guess what? Those aren't selling. So if you want to move your card immediately you have to price it accordingly. And another word of advice, you will find great deals here on this community because we know what things are worth and we know what good deals are. But it cuts both ways. Once you get your selling privileges don't think you'll make a killing selling here because we are very savvy customers (most of us at least) and we don't overpay for products.

You can't brag about paying $600 for a card that was selling for $1200 2 months ago, and then complain that no one wants to pay 50% for your 2 year old card. You have to be realistic. Look at what the market is currently paying. I can look on ebay right now and find several 1080s for $350. But guess what? Those aren't selling. So if you want to move your card immediately you have to price it accordingly. And another word of advice, you will find great deals here on this community because we know what things are worth and we know what good deals are. But it cuts both ways. Once you get your selling privileges don't think you'll make a killing selling here because we are very savvy customers (most of us at least) and we don't overpay for products.

Yeah that's totally true but you know it's just that I bought it in France actually and I moved in the US months ago so basically I payed a lot more due to the euros... That's why I'm kind of sad about this price I should put but as you Said, 600$ for the Titan Xp yeah it's the same thing in the other way..

What would you recommend me to do ? 330?

I usually sell on ebay, $0.01 starting price, no reserve. You'll definitely sell like that, and the price usually ends up being the market value.

$350-$375 seems to be the going fair market price for a used 1080 right now. (But it could take a few days or more to locate/secure a reputable buyer)

If you want to sell it quick, then yes, odds are dropping the price to $330 will help move it. Good Luck!
And a Titan XP for $600 is a great price if there is nothing wrong with it.

$350-$375 seems to be the going fair market price for a used 1080 right now. (But it could take a few days or more to locate/secure a reputable buyer)

If you want to sell it quick, then yes, odds are dropping the price to $330 will help move it. Good Luck!
And a Titan XP for $600 is a great price if there is nothing wrong with it.

Alright well thanks guys for your help, I will try to put 330 and see how it goes but I won't go any lower I guess

Back