nVidia 10 series prices continue to drop slow but sure

_l_

[H]ard|Gawd
on ebay, a bunch of used EVGA GTX 1070 FTW's at $400 shipped. One seller had 6 listed, now 5 left so guessing they were used to mine. But the price point will cause others to lower prices as well and so, we will hopefully be seeing used EVGA GTX 1070 FTW's for $300 to $350 (shipped) in the very near future (as long as no more coin mining crazes pop up). If they want the best return on resale they need to sell them before nVidia releases the series 20 because once they do, the value of the 10 series takes a hit. At least, this is how I see it at the moment ...

I bought a used 1080 GTX from EVGA for $389. I Don't think $400 for a used 1070 is a good deal.
IMO $300 - $350 is good for a used EVGA GTX 1070 FTW. Your card is a RX not a KR model so it came with a one year warranty which is why you paid what you did. I'd rather pay $450 for a used 1080 FTW KR model and get at least 2 years warranty left otherwise I'd buy a new 1070 FTW instead (I consider resale value and ease of sale before I buy a graphics card. If EVGA did not allow warranty transfers I'd not buy a high end card until the price was low enough to compensate for the card not having a warranty)

I don't think buying 10 series card that late in a lifecycle for other than bargain price is worth it. And those bargain prices are nowhere to be found. Need an upgrade? Well, too bad for being late in the game - just wait for volta, i guess.

Volta's probably not going to be out until next year. Deciding to get an upgrade now isn't a bad idea, especially since without a 2080 Ti at launch the 2070 will probably come out at closer to $500 than $400.

Prices might go up now because of vega flop. No incentive to make cuts for Nvidia at all.

Prices might go up now because of vega flop. No incentive to make cuts for Nvidia at all.

That's a complete misunderstanding of how the business work. If that was the case we would be sitting with Maxwell cards.

Volta release time frame have nothing to do with AMD.

That's a complete misunderstanding of how the business work. If that was the case we would be sitting with Maxwell cards.

Volta release time frame have nothing to do with AMD.
Correct. Nvidia is so far ahead now, AMD releases aren't even on their radar. They're competing with themselves at this point, but they want to sell ever more powerful cards. Nvidia is not Intel.

gamers want the fastest gaming card for the lowest price so why don't they just drop all the eye candy garbage and just lower the price accordingly? I saw the Vega card and it's a silver brick looking thing. I like black or dark colors so the card disappears once I mount it on my test bench case I have sitting on my Media corner shelve in the livingroom. I don't want silver or glow-ee lights or flashing logos. Just drop the eye candy and the prices ...

I was thinking that the reviews for the RX Vega 56 looked pretty good.. it looks like a hit at the 1070 price range, and likely a better deal than a 1070, given how it beats it in some games, and in the ones that it does lose, it is still close.

Now at the 1080Ti level there is no comparison and Vega 64 doesn't really look like a good buy. Glad I picked up my EVGA already :D

I was thinking that the reviews for the RX Vega 56 looked pretty good.. it looks like a hit at the 1070 price range, and likely a better deal than a 1070, given how it beats it in some games, and in the ones that it does lose, it is still close.

Yes and no. I've had my 1070 since July of last year. If I were waiting for 1070 performance from AMD I would have been playing games on my iGPU for yet another year. That's not a good showing.

Those cards for sale on Ebay are probably mining cards. Especially if the person is selling large quantities of them. I wouldn't buy them.

Don't buy used. Just get a deal on a new card when they pop up later in the year.

The bigger issue is the lack of stock on the sub-GTX-1070 GPUs due to that blankety-blank mining craze - fortunately I can state with a great deal of certainty that GTX 1050Ti is indeed basically GTX 750Ti Redux - even with a weaksauce CPU (PentiumG, for example) I'm still darn close to day-in and day-out 1080p@30 fps - even in games where it makes zero sense to be (such as Ashes of the Singularity). I see no need for Volta to go down that low this year - or the first half of next year, either. (Besides, how many of you are STILL running Kepler - or older GPU products from nVidia - or AMD for that matter - due to price inflation - and stock shortfalls - on GTX 1050Ti parts that rely entirely on power from the slot? It's not like there's a lack of models that fit that mold - EVGA has four, ASUS has three, and MSI has three - and that is just the three top-tier global brands. (I'm not even counting the second tier - such as Zotac or Colorful - at all.) If your sweet spot is NOT 4k - and especially if you are not running a quad-core - or even if you are - GTX 1050Ti - even in the slot-power-only spec - is as close to a safe bet as exists today.

Back