Nvida Physx on ATI hardware??

It will be cpu only Physx. Not GPU Physx. I'll bet money.

I'm assuming that these little consoles will be outputting native 1080p games and not this scaled up shit we've had for a decade now? An A10 doing cpu physx doesn't sound like much beef though.

No. You can not emulate it as its been said it'll simply default to your CPU. My suggestion? Buy a cheap Nvidia 500 series card and use it strictly as a Physx card.

No. You can not emulate it as its been said it'll simply default to your CPU. My suggestion? Buy a cheap Nvidia 500 series card and use it strictly as a Physx card.

I wouldn't even bother since less than 10% of games that support any kind of Physx computation can offload the number-crunching to a GPU...most of that sub-10% are games like Hot Dance Party and Hot Dance Party 2 that no one cares about or has heard of.

I believe the OP is asking about physx on consoles with ATI video hardware. There was a note just released about one of the consoles the other day, which is what I'm assuming sparked the question.

Seems like some of the answers above are more geared to someone using their PC with an ATI card...

I love the effects of PhysX, but hate the proprietariness of it. That stuff just has to die a quick death imo. It's good to show off a new feature, but after a year or two, open it up to all, so we're not just stuck with 8% of games using something.

I believe the OP is asking about physx on consoles with ATI video hardware. There was a note just released about one of the consoles the other day, which is what I'm assuming sparked the question.

Seems like some of the answers above are more geared to someone using their PC with an ATI card...

If he was asking that then he was EXTREMELY vague about it.

The type of code PhysX uses runs very inefficiently on CPU's but because of the ways GPUs work, the code runs OK. It could be more efficient, and even run well on CPU's, but that would result in Nvidia selling less GPU's so they do not go that route. This was proven a few years back by someone who re-encoded PhysX to run well on CPU.

PhysX on the PS4 is CPU based, which means it was probably encoded properly to run on the CPU. This of course says something about Nvidia at their arrogance. Rather than just doing the right thing, making PhysX run on AMD GPU's, they still refuse and do what's best for them and not best for gamers. PS4 has 8 cores though, so there is plenty of room to throw in some physics threads.

Back