NV5 Silencer is it really worth it?

carblow12

Limp Gawd
I have a BFG 6800 GT i get around 65C idle and like 78C-80C load. I am not overclocked. Should i buy this NV5 Silencer? When i play halflife 2 and sometimes in Counter-strike source. or Need for speed underground 2 my video card overheats. I know this b/c the game pauses and makes like repeating beeps sounds then goes back to normal. I think it my video card overheating. I am just wondering if cooler temps would help this problem, then if so should i get this NV5 Silencer or is there another. Thanks.

Here is something I found in the 3DMark05 thread.
lemmy hath said:

"I also have the Dell GTO 6800, which everyone thought was gimped, but yeah i unlocked the extra 4 pipelines to get it to be a GT with the 6 shaders, and now i worked the magic and began overclocking wtih the NV5 Silencer which was a majorrrrr cooling solution. I got this card with my Dell 8400 from a 40% off online sale at dell receiving a 20.1" 2001 flat lcd , 160 gb hd, 3.4 p4 ghz extreme edition, 1 gig ram 533 mhz, for about 1900. Here is the stats.

ALL STATS DONE WITH OPENED 16 PIPELIENS/6 SHADERS

Stock Cooling Fan
Stock Frequencies: 350 Mhz/900 GHz
Idle Temps: 60 celsius
Full Load Temps: 86 Celsius
3d Marks 2005 Scores: 4400-4500 Stock Settings

OC Frequencies: 375/1000 GHz
Idle Temps: 65 Celsius
Full Load Temps: 88-92 Celsius
3D Marks 2005 Scores: 4850 with OC

NV5 Silencer Artic Cooling (Silicone paste)
OC Frequencies: 430 MHz/ 1.11 Ghz
Idle Temps: 59-60 Celsius
Full Load Temps: 68-71 Celsius
3D Marks 2005 Scores: 5410 with OC

I got too excited to bother running the Stock setting temperature tests, but Idle temps for it was about 49-50 celsius

MAJOR COOL DOWN, and yes everyone who has a GTO 6800 has experienced high temps on Stock fan cooling. This really helps when your running full load graphics. I think i might be the first who installed a NV5 Silencer on a GTO 6800.

Problems i ran into while installing the NV5 Silencer was the Video card had 2 Pci Slot Covers attached to eachother, probably to prevent something else to be put next to the vid card so it doesn't ruin circulation. But all i did was Drill Holes in the Extra Slot, and then just continued with the installation. People with 6800 GTO's i high recommend getting a NV5 Silencer, a LOT quieter and cooler"

Another harduser named RuffRyder increased his score from 5260 to 5803 on his 6800 GT. Right now his speeds are 440/1.18. Default for that card is 370/1000. Here are succesive posts from RuffRyder about his silencer:

" just installed my NV Silencer on my PNY 6800 GT and now my temps are really high (sitting idle at about 80C). I checked to make sure it was screwed on enough and from what I can see the GPU seems to be making contact with the copper heatsink. Any suggestions on what I can do to bring down my temps as they're running higher than with the stock cooler!

Thanks."

"Before I was running at about 72 at full load and this is OCed to 414/1.12. Now I'm getting about 80 at idle with the same clock speed. Yeah I'm afraid to run anything intensive with those temps."

"I did some research and found out that sometimes you need put a lot of thermal paste on with this bad boy. Tomorrow I'll scrape it down and reapply the paste or maybe wait 'til Friday when I get my AS5 back and not use the crappy goop they give you in the Silencer package.

I will let you guys know if that fixes the problem in case anyone else has the problem in the future.

Thanks"

"I unscrewed the NV silencer and realized that the GPU wasn't making full contact with the heatsink. I scraped the crappy "Silicone paste" they give you in the package and put on some AS5. Now everything is working great!! I'm running at about 50C at idle with my card OCed to 414/1.14! I also had to put a whole lot of AS5 on the GPU, about 2 or 3 times as much as I would put on a CPU core. Hope this helps someone. "

Well, for the price I would say it is a good investment. I installed one recently on my BFG 6800 GT and was pleased with the results. Used to idle at around 68ish and after installing the NV5 I rarely hit 68 at full load. Idle is down to the low 50s. Case temp dropped a couple of degrees as well, most likey due to the venting of the hot air.

At least with the BFG, install was a piece of cake. Undid the existing cooling solution, cleaned off all the old gunk with a bit of alcohol and some cotton swabs, used a good amount of arctic silver 5 on the gpu and ceramic on the memories, lined up the NV5 and checked for solid contact, and then tightened down everything. There will definately be some parts that require more thermal paste than I would have expected but any worries I had went away once I tossed the card back in my system and started running tests.

I haven't overclocked anything yet, so I can't comment as far as increased overclocking potential, but I was mainly after the reduced temps so I consider myself happy with the overall product regardless of what the final OC ends up being.

Now i don't really know how to install the NV5, I heard it was hard. I don't want to damage my video card. How do u take the old thermal paste off? Is there any insturctions on a website. Thanks for your help i think i am going to buy it. thanks again

depends honestly, I have the same card, and don't OC it at all, I just wanted something quieter. When I first installed the BFG 6800 OC my puter got good and loud, and I dont' like it loud as its basically a white noise machine when I'm sleeping(so want 'some' noise, but not a lot), installed the NV Silencer, and temps dropped to 41C load, and it dropped a ton in noise. Personally, I'd say it's worth it, but if you're not going OC it, you probably don't need it for cooling

I got it because it was quiet....But then again the above Ultra speed is a plus.. :D

I think the stuttering in hl2 is a problem with the game engine and not your videocard. Supposedly the source engine has to reload new textures and sounds when you move from one place to another.

BUt is pausing for a few seconds. then goes back to normal. Where can i get the NV5 silencer for cheap?

There are alternatives to the NV Silencer 5, but short of water cooling they all suck. The Silencer is very quiet and a very efficient cooler.

Speaking of the NV5, doesanyone know how to get the exhaust on a ultra installed without cutting the plate on the back of the Ultra? Does Artic cooling sell a special plate for this?
Thanks

I have an NV Silencer 5 installed on my PNY 6800 GT. I got it because because it would be more quiet, but it also dropped my idle and load temps 10-15C which allowed me to OC my card higher and still never hit, even under full load, what I used to hit at idle. It was a little tricky to install because there were a lto of little screws holding on the old HSF and you have to be sure to put a lot of thermal paste on the GPU (about 2-3x as much as you would put on a CPU core). But now I see it was fully worth it. It runs faster, cooler, and quieter than with stock cooling. Hope this helps.

DaRkF0g said:
Speaking of the NV5, doesanyone know how to get the exhaust on a ultra installed without cutting the plate on the back of the Ultra? Does Artic cooling sell a special plate for this?
Thanks

I dunno, I've just seen a guy drill some holes in the Ultra back plate.

wow 65c idle? you must have some poor airflow in your case. mine is at 54-55c idle. what kind of case/fans do you have?

Greetings gents, thought i'd pass along my thoughts and tips iv'e found to get maximum benefit out your NV5, especially since people are finding that the memory modules are a little spaced apart and the fact that people aren't sure of how much to crank down on the cards holding mechanism without breaking something.

***WARNING. THIS IS IN MY EXPERIENCE WITH MY PARTICULAR NV5 UNIT AND eVGA 6800GT. YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY AND I HOLD NO LIABILITY IF YOU RUIN YOUR CARD FOLLOWING MY EXACT METHOD. THIS IS ONLY TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT TO EXPECT******

I recieved my NV5 yesterday and immediatly went to start installing it. I apologize for no pictures as my works webserver is down that I use to host pics so i'll be a precise as can be.

1. Removal of the stock HSF unit it straight forward, a couple of tiny screws to remove the little plate on top that creates a "duct" for the air.
2.Then removal of the spring loaded black springs that are on the back of the card.
3.Then 3 silver screws that are near the IO ports. With this, the memory cooling module will pop right off.
4. Afterwards, simply remove the 4 screws from the silver GPU heatsink

Then use Rubbing alchohol to remove residue off the memory modules and GPU die.

Now were ready for thermal grease and this is where your gonna have to pay attention. Many people including myself found that their is some air gaps betweent the memory module and the HS itself. Even with good pressure from the screws, I found that their was still an air gap between a few of them.

Luckily the GPU die was touching the heatsink itself in my case, so be sure to check yours prior to thermal paste application, as it will vary.

With that in mind, I knew I was gonna have to lay down a thick layer of thermal grease. Using my new tube of AS5 *yes, I DID put AS5 directly on my memory modules with NO ill effect* I first used a sandwitch bag over my fingers to apply it *this was first problem which I will state what later*

After carefully applying a liberal amount on the memory, I did the same on the GPU, giving it a little extra. I then set the cooler on the card and then slowly installed the mounting screws till there was a decent enough tension.

I then took it off to find that around 3 memory modules were still not complely covered. So IN MY CASE *Yours will vary*, I had to use even more AS5 on the memory. The GPU die itself was in good shape and then I proceeded to mount it again and then *guessed* the correct pressure on my card. Crossing my fingers I installed the card back in and booted. I compared my thermal results of my stock cooler

STOCK HSF:
Idle: 50c-51c
Doom 3 15 min playtime load: 68c+

First NV5 installation
Idle 48c-49c
Doom 3 15 min playtime load: 65c

Not bad, but I expected a little more outa this unit then that. One thing that I noticed that worried me was the exhaust air from the NV5 wasn't very warm at all in comparision to my NV1 on my 9800pro. In fact, it was downright cool but the temps indicated the GPU wasn't over heating either. Something wasn't right......

Once again, I proceeded to take apart the card. Upon removal I noticed a large amount of *bubbles* or indications of pockets of air in the thermal grease from removal. Aha!! So not only did we APPLY the AS5 incorrectly but also our CONTACT with the GPU and heatsink still wasn't good enough.

Rereading AS5's instructions I decided to use this time a flat,sharp edged object to apply the paste instead of my finger which caused the surface of the paste to be very uneven, very succeptable to pockets of air.

I cleaned the GPU die with alchohol completly as well as the contact area on the heatsink and reapplied a fresh layer of AS5 adding a bit more then last time making sure the surface was a smooth as possible. Rather then clean the memory modules, I added a dab of AS5 to each module and then smoothed out the surface of not only the modules but also the AS5 on the memory pads on the heatsink itself.

Time to reattach the unit. I flipped the card over and slide the NV5 back on. THIS time I was gonna use better judgement of my pressure on the screws. Using an ALTERNATING fashion, I turned the nuts till I began to feel pressure from the rubber washers. Now, CAREFULLY I began to keep turning each nut until I FELT the pressure from the washer increase to the point were it simply could not be pushed down any farther

******RE-EMPHASIS******
There are TWO kinds of pressure you will notice when you are screwing down the nuts. Your FIRST pressure will be the rubber washing pushing BACK UP as your pushing the nut down as it compacts the washer.

The SECOND pressure you will feel is the washer compressing no more. STOP!!! This is exactly where I felt the pressure was best as possible without stressing the cards PCB or breaking the screws. This you will have to carefully feel for and make sure you take your time screwing the nuts.

I made sure EACH screw had this pressure and then proceeded to reinstall the card in the PC and test again. Here are my results

Second NV5 Installation
Idle: 45c-46c
Doom 3 15 min playtime load: 57-58c

Now thats much better!!! The temps will only get better after the AS5 has its 200hour set in time period.

In all, the success of your NV5 is dependent on how well you install it. Now time to start OC this baby!!

Does anyone happen to know if this setup would be similarly effective on a 6800 Ultra? I'd heard that the stock cooling was better than on the GT, quite a few of the GTs I see appear to have the same big fan on as the Ultra, though I don't know if there are differences in the heat sink.

Mine's idling at about 50 and peaks in the mid/high 70s

The NV5 will give much better results then the stock Ultra HSF. THe physical card itself is no different then the GT, only the extra molex plug, differences in clock and memory speed and RAM timings are the only differences

Sweet - I think I'll order one now that I've read your fine guide. CastleBravo also has good instructions for the unconfident as well should he be reading :)

Just got mine on... 6C drop at idle and 8C drop under load. I used AS5 on the gpu and Ceramique on the memory modules and it most have made good contact becuaes I watched some of the Ceramique sqeeze out. running 380/800 with all 16 pipes on my 6800nu with no issues at all! the noise was still not as low as I had wanted. Ive read that a Zalman fan mate fan adjuster set on the lowest value is quieter and still provides better then stock cooling. This part was well worth it.

carblow12 said:
I need instruction for my BFG 6800 gt

There is already a link to them on this topic. :)

I have no mechanical aptitude and it was pretty simple for me. I just took my time, double-checked what I did and was careful.

I have an NV Silencer 5 and tube of AS5 winging their way to me now thanks to internet shopping. I have no doubt missed the relevant posts, but I haven't seen any reports of how an Ultra responds to the extra cooling. I'll post back, unless I blow something up, in which case I never want to speak to anyone here again ;)

I have a similar experience like IcdWind. My stock 6800 GT runs 45/72. First NV5 installation: 61/85. WTF? take the cooler off, saw half the cord was making contact. After played with it and tried different methods listed in this forum, still no go. So I had to do it the hard way, filing down the ram block thats on a 45 degree angle. After gave all surfaces a good finish and remount, I got 44/62.

So, in my case, the installation wasn't automatic.

Can anyone tell me if meths is a suitable, harmless cleaner for getting rid of thermal paste? 'Rubbing alcohol' doesn't seem to exist in the UK and no other shops seemed to have anything even close.

sbuckler said:
buy some TIM clean, which you can get in the uk. Smells lemony fresh too :)

Dammit - my fan arrives today and I'm eager to crack on with getting it fitted. I had (perhaps foolishly) thought it would be easy to buy something in the shops. Can you think of anything similar that I wouldn't have to order and wait for (I am an impatient man)?

mulpsmebeauty said:
Can anyone tell me if meths is a suitable, harmless cleaner for getting rid of thermal paste? 'Rubbing alcohol' doesn't seem to exist in the UK and no other shops seemed to have anything even close.

Isopropyl alcohol (also known as rubbing alcohol) should definitely appear at any druggist's shop (or pharmacy, I don't know there's a UK specific word for it) in the UK. It's used for sterilizing wounds and medical kit the world over so it shouldn't be hard to find.

If you can't find that, a swab with a very teensy bit of acetone (nail polish remover) should work; just don't spill it, acetone can soften some plastics.

I installed it on my Gigabyte 6800GT with Arctic Silver 5, and it runs at 427/1150 all day. Better than ultra speeds for another $30, it's definitely worth it. I had no trouble installing it, worked perfectly the fist time. You just have to look at how the cooler is touching the memory modules as you tighten the screws. Holding it up to a light to see if there's good contact really helps.

LoneWolf said:
Isopropyl alcohol (also known as rubbing alcohol) should definitely appear at any druggist's shop (or pharmacy, I don't know there's a UK specific word for it) in the UK. It's used for sterilizing wounds and medical kit the world over so it shouldn't be hard to find.

If you can't find that, a swab with a very teensy bit of acetone (nail polish remover) should work; just don't spill it, acetone can soften some plastics.

I had a gander in the local chemist/pharmacy and the bloke just gawped stupidly at me when I asked for "rubbing alcohol or something similar" and his colleagues were left equally baffled.

I will try a more professional establishment tomorrow (damned fan didn't arrive anyway - so much for expensive 'next day' delivery) and see if they have a clue.

It let me squeeze some more clock out of my card up to 437/1.13 or so. Its to bad I got a poorly made one where it didn't come in contact with the gpu all the way without tightning, and some of the ram is pooly contacted as well, and I had to take a heatsink off of something near the power caps on my bfg6800 and bend the fins a bit to be able to fit the nv5 on it. Ah well, it helps. :)

Back