NV Silencer 5....yey or ney.

tsuehpsyde

Supreme [H]ardness
Basically, summer heat is raping my poor 6800 Ultra...this is it's first summer, and before I moved my AC into this room, it was load over 86C! :eek: After gaming for awhile it would crash....the air in the case wasn't blazing, but the ambient air around the card was warm and the heatsink was CRAZY hot. I lowered back to stock speeds, which diddn't matter...still overheated. The AC now being in the same room as the computer keeps it running, but it's still warmer than I'd like....I think an NV Silencer might do the trick. Anyone have experience with one and an Ultra, specifically the Rev. 2? I think it has a special backplate so I don't have to hack my factory one up to use it.

Thanks.

tsuehpsyde said:
You use one before?
i had the ati version for awhile..very silent and cooled nice and ive only heard good things about the nvidia version

Definate yey. ;) I have the original 5 on a 6800gt, and it is awesome.

I have one on my 6800 OC (unlocked and Overclocked) and it performs well. As long as you have good airflow through your case, the heatsink will perform a lot better, exhausting all the heated air out of your case :)

yay! its awesome. it cools the card much better than stock AND is silent. a big plus on exhausting the warm air out.

6800gt does need an aftermarket cooler (although after some fitting troubles with nv5 v1 I kinda dislike this brand)... But 6800ultra has a pretty good stock cooler, all u need to to supply fresh air to it and it'll cool the gpu just as well if not better than NV5. For example, u can free up the pci slot right beneath the 6800u and remove the backplate, or even rig some sort of ghetto blower with a spare fan to feed outside air into the 6800u cooler.

Bottomline is that the problem is air circulation in the case, not the cooler ;) NV5 most likely won't help if ambient in the case is too hot anyways.

I can tell u from experience - I owned both 6800gt and ultra. Gt ran too hot to my liking, and I did install NV5 (with a lot of work) which did drop temps by a bit. Once I switched to 6800u, I didn't see any need to install nv5 'cause it was just as cool as my old 6800gt with nv5 and had higher clocks. I did buy a sidepanel with a fan tho to feed fresh air to my videocard and the best part, nv5 cost me like $25 while sidepanel was less than $10 :D

evga has an aftermarket cooler that is similar to the stock sink of the ultra but is made of copper. my temps are comparable to the aftermarket nvsilencer

DaLurker said:
I have one on my 6800 OC (unlocked and Overclocked) and it performs well. As long as you have good airflow through your case, the heatsink will perform a lot better, exhausting all the heated air out of your case :)

uhm, me too. works great.

I have dual ultras in SLI.
I put two of these they in, and temps dropped around 5C.
this is good.
However I then put in a 120mm fan pumping in cool air, and they never go above 60 at full load!!!!!!
However advice for these, work far better, so make sure that you have more intake than out, and if possible i guess stuff in the 120mm fan.
These are quiet and cool well.
nuff said
f

el rolio said:
uhm, me too. works great.
^^hmmm.....not for much longer :p ^^

but I need to do something about temps of my 68GT too...

clocked @ 410/1150 and under load touching 80+ :eek:

I'm considering it too, but i wonder if the NVsilencer the best cooling solution, i'm looking @ the Zalman but from what I read its more a quiet solution that good cooling.

im still tryin to decide myself....

so tsuehpsyde, see what comes out of it and lemme kno

oh and if all else fails, WC that sonofabitch :D

The ambient temps actually aren't that bad. The XP-120 I have doesn't help as I'm sure it puts off some heat into the case. The problem is I need the air around the videocard to move some more. Possibly just one of those shitty PCI-Slot fans that blow air out from the 90s that were so popular? Like a ghetto-ass NV5. :D

No.

My hell...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=910338

Cliff notes...

I have a EVGA 6800 ultra agp. The NV5 rev 1 came with rubber/metal washers and the REV2 doesnt. When I installed the NV5 rev2 on my ultra the nuts bottomed out on the screws, not allowing the card to be fastened down like it should be. I bascially needed to buy some spacers/etc to be able to have it fit right. So I sent it back and went with a different product.

KoolDrew said:
Get a Zalman VF-700 CU instead. It is the best in air cooling.

I'd say get the NV Silencer over the Zalman for one very simple reason. The Silencer exhausts hot air out of your case. The Zalman recirculates the air. So because the hot air is being recirculated, you will have a higher temperature before the heat output and dissipation of heat in your case reach an equilibrium.

PCI blower actually makes the intake for the Ultra fight for air, since the blower's fan is pretty shallow in the slot.

I figured something was up with my card, so I said screw it and took apart my card (just took the fan off the top). This card's heatsink is really impressive, it's like 4 pieces. :p Here's what I found when I cracked it open:

DSC00144.sized.jpg

DSC00145.sized.jpg

DSC00147.sized.jpg

DSC00149.sized.jpg

DSC00150.sized.jpg

DSC00151.sized.jpg

Just a collection of dust between the 2nd and 3rd set of heatsinks...dunno how or why, but it collected in there. So I blew it all out and now it's like 7C cooler at idle and I'm about to check where my load is. Also, I left my PCI slow directly under my Ultra open now so air can flow around a bit better...I might ghetto-rig a fan on the outside to suck air out or blow air in...but if this works, then leave it alone. :D Only thing I don't like is how shitty the memory pads look....but that's another project another day.

Another thing is that 2nd heatsink collection is alot more bendable than the other two...blowing air on that one, I could watch it bend back and forth (up and down actually from the aspect in those pics) but the other two diddn't move at all. Meh, this heatsink is complicated....I'm afraid to tear the entire thing apart.

After loading for 10 minutes, it's loading at 71C max, and it's having a hard time staying there, it keeps swapping back and forth with 70C. More or less a 10-15C temp drop from simply removing the fan, cleaning out the dust I thought blowing thru the end got, moving my sound card down one slot (which was already an extra slow down from the Ultra, now the Ultra gets 4 slots to itself :p) and removing the backplate closest to the Ultra in slot #3. Sure beats all the work and cash of an NV5. I might be fabricating an intake for that 3rd PCI slot tho so that the Ultra sucks air directly from outside of the case....I just need to get bored and figure out how to go about it.

DaLurker said:
I'd say get the NV Silencer over the Zalman for one very simple reason. The Silencer exhausts hot air out of your case. The Zalman recirculates the air. So because the hot air is being recirculated, you will have a higher temperature before the heat output and dissipation of heat in your case reach an equilibrium.

Your logic is good, but wrong. I've had a NV5 and the Zalman 700-Cu (which is what's running now) and the Zalman cools the card better and the case temps are the same. The idle temps between the 2 are almost the same but the load temps are where the difference is. Temps with my BFG 6800GT OC are NV5 57C - 74C and the Zalman 54C - 62C. These are with the same room temp, case and clock speed which is stock.

tsuehpsyde said:
After loading for 10 minutes, it's loading at 71C max, and it's having a hard time staying there, it keeps swapping back and forth with 70C. More or less a 10-15C temp drop from simply removing the fan, cleaning out the dust I thought blowing thru the end got, moving my sound card down one slot (which was already an extra slow down from the Ultra, now the Ultra gets 4 slots to itself :p) and removing the backplate closest to the Ultra in slot #3. Sure beats all the work and cash of an NV5. I might be fabricating an intake for that 3rd PCI slot tho so that the Ultra sucks air directly from outside of the case....I just need to get bored and figure out how to go about it.
Just what I've been saying all along :D Ultra's HSF is so massive, it's just as effective as NV5 (except for blowing hot air out) ;)

Yeah, I never had a problem with it until it got hot out, and I was confused as hell since even with AC in the room temps were too high, and I dust everything monthly. I guess I gotta take that damn fan off and get into the guts every few months now. ;)

tsuehpsyde said:
Yeah, I never had a problem with it until it got hot out, and I was confused as hell since even with AC in the room temps were too high, and I dust everything monthly. I guess I gotta take that damn fan off and get into the guts every few months now. ;)

same like me.... and YEP.

Just a collection of dust between the 2nd and 3rd set of heatsinks...dunno how or why, but it collected in there. So I blew it all out and now it's like 7C cooler at idle and I'm about to check where my load is. Also, I left my PCI slow directly under my Ultra open now so air can flow around a bit better...I might ghetto-rig a fan on the outside to suck air out or blow air in...but if this works, then leave it alone. Only thing I don't like is how shitty the memory pads look....but that's another project another day.

Another thing is that 2nd heatsink collection is alot more bendable than the other two...blowing air on that one, I could watch it bend back and forth (up and down actually from the aspect in those pics) but the other two diddn't move at all. Meh, this heatsink is complicated....I'm afraid to tear the entire thing ap

i think i have to blow the dust out of my ati silencer 4.. temps have risen as of late and when i look i see there quite a bit of dust there... guess silencers are dust magnets

Nay.

If you want the best aircooling get a STASIS IceStorm NV6800C5. Lowest temps on air, period. :)

EventHorizon said:
Your logic is good, but wrong. I've had a NV5 and the Zalman 700-Cu (which is what's running now) and the Zalman cools the card better and the case temps are the same. The idle temps between the 2 are almost the same but the load temps are where the difference is. Temps with my BFG 6800GT OC are NV5 57C - 74C and the Zalman 54C - 62C. These are with the same room temp, case and clock speed which is stock.

If you run it for a long period of time (ie 12-24 hours), then the heat dump from the card will start to affect your case temperatures however it will largely depends on the airflow in your case. If you have no airflow out of your case, then the NV5 will perform much better since the hot air is being exhausted.

It seems my logic is good and in theory it works, however in real life, you wouldn't just depend on your NV5 for exhaust, so if the test of your system's air flow is good enough, it can handle the heat dump from the Zalman into your case environment.

consumer9000 said:
Nay.

If you want the best aircooling get a STASIS IceStorm NV6800C5. Lowest temps on air, period. :)
I have been looking around a little trying to find a review of the IceStorm, is it really the "heart-stopping, life ending, nirvana achieving cooler of coolers" ?? :D

I have seen a lot of people on forums recommending it...whats it all about?

keeps my temps below 70, not that big an improvement, but i like how quiet it is. no noise what so ever. If you blink you will drown out the sound of the silencer.
wink.gif

Back