NV 2D Surround DX9 Portrait Mode Not Functioning

Sheganks

n00b
Just want to share with people who prefer a 3x1 Portrait config that the current Nvidia 2D Surround solution does not scale as it should under Portrait Mode with DX9.

This is tested with GTX460 SLI, 258.96 WHQL driver, under Windows 7 64-bit running on an X58 + i7 [email protected] system, 3 x Dell U2311H set at 3420x1920 "surround" resolution.

Here's a list of games tested:

• Modern Warfare 2
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Just Cause 2
  • World of Warcraft

All running at fullscreen, the fps is "capped" at 54fps, with very little fluctuation during gameplay. Changing in-game graphic settings from min to max does not change fps at all. Moreover the mouse is choppy along with a lag felt with the rendering, i.e., it is not a normal 54 fps where you can still play smoothly.

In landscape surround mode DX9 is rendered correctly with perfect scaling, i.e., well over 140fps in TF2, and 120fps+ in MW2 (single player uncapped fps).

The above problems under Portrait is not observed for DX11. Bad Company 2, MoH Beta and Dirt 2 are scaling superbly.

As an interesting aside, ATI crossfire (2 x 5870 Eyefinity 6 that the 460 replaced) also does not work at all under DX9 Portrait mode (but fine for DX11, as is the case with Nvidia). However it defaults to a single card and as a result still provides smooth rendering, whereas with the Nvidia solution you are restricted to SLI and so the games are forced to be unplayable.

I would hesitate to call this even a bug, the capped 54fps and choppy rendering indicates this is simply not implemented yet.

A bug report has been officially filed to Nvidia and hopefully it gets turned around soon as my pair of Gigabyte 460 1GB are now shelfed and gathering dust.

if this was the case you would of heard kyle bitching left and right about it.. especially with portrait since thats all kyle runs and ran for a long time with the 5870 or 5970(cant remember).. since he didnt have any of those problems i tend to lean toward this being a problem with your setup or os..

In all of his reviews related to multimonitor the numbers are based on landscape. Would u be able to point us to anything that says otherwise?

As to why nothing was said who knows what commercial pressure he is under?

Do a Google search on the subject under crossfire and u will see a number of postings reported as eyefinity has been out longer. One of the guys have already written to Kyle on the subject without a response.

Do u own the both. sets of the cards and the monitors to confirm this? Would luv to hear from u again if that's the case.

If anyone else is having the same issue with FPS being limited 2d Surround portrait mode I've found the solution. You use a tool called nVidia Inspector and change SLI rendering mode from AFR to SFR. This also enables triple buffering via D3DOverrider to work. So you get nice and smooth image with no tearing, with no FPS limit (up to 60 of course) with minimal input lag.

I have almost the exact setup as yours but I have 2 480's. I will do testing tonight win TF2 and see any problems.

Just want to share with people who prefer a 3x1 Portrait config that the current Nvidia 2D Surround solution does not scale as it should under Portrait Mode with DX9.

This is tested with GTX460 SLI, 258.96 WHQL driver, under Windows 7 64-bit running on an X58 + i7 [email protected] system, 3 x Dell U2311H set at 3420x1920 "surround" resolution.

Here's a list of games tested:

• Modern Warfare 2
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Just Cause 2
  • World of Warcraft

All running at fullscreen, the fps is "capped" at 54fps, with very little fluctuation during gameplay. Changing in-game graphic settings from min to max does not change fps at all. Moreover the mouse is choppy along with a lag felt with the rendering, i.e., it is not a normal 54 fps where you can still play smoothly.

In landscape surround mode DX9 is rendered correctly with perfect scaling, i.e., well over 140fps in TF2, and 120fps+ in MW2 (single player uncapped fps).

The above problems under Portrait is not observed for DX11. Bad Company 2, MoH Beta and Dirt 2 are scaling superbly.

As an interesting aside, ATI crossfire (2 x 5870 Eyefinity 6 that the 460 replaced) also does not work at all under DX9 Portrait mode (but fine for DX11, as is the case with Nvidia). However it defaults to a single card and as a result still provides smooth rendering, whereas with the Nvidia solution you are restricted to SLI and so the games are forced to be unplayable.

I would hesitate to call this even a bug, the capped 54fps and choppy rendering indicates this is simply not implemented yet.

A bug report has been officially filed to Nvidia and hopefully it gets turned around soon as my pair of Gigabyte 460 1GB are now shelfed and gathering dust.

Guys, NVIDIA is aware of the issue and it *is fixed in the next driver*.

It's an issue where there was some unnecessary overhead associated with portrait mode that shows up in games that are not CPU-bound or GPU-bound, but bound by the transfer speed between GPUs (since they have to transfer the part of the frame to the other GPU to show on the other displays).

Where did you get that info? Like I said the problem can be eliminated completely by running the game(s) in SFR versus AFR.

Where did you get that info? Like I said the problem can be eliminated completely by running the game(s) in SFR versus AFR.

I tried this last night with TF2 (forced SFR) and it did not fix the issue... still 54fps and it feels very, very 'laggy'.

I have been playing TF2, Batman AA, WoW and Dirt 2. I am running the 260 drivers that are the ones being release on nvidia's web site. I have 2 480 in Sli running on 3 U2311H @3240 x 1920. I get over 100 fps and have not had any issues. Running very smooth on all my games. more specs on me on my signature.

I have been playing TF2, Batman AA, WoW and Dirt 2. I am running the 260 drivers that are the ones being release on nvidia's web site. I have 2 480 in Sli running on 3 U2311H @3240 x 1920. I get over 100 fps and have not had any issues. Running very smooth on all my games. more specs on me on my signature.

Which set? The 263 drivers are the newest?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-263.09-whql2-driver.html

That's what I'm using... so you're using the 260.xx drivers and it's OK in Portrait? I might have to try that tonight :D

Back