Nutanix vs VSAN vs EVO: RAIL

The way I understand this is that you can only purchase from a Cisco AND SimpliVity Partner where SimpliVity will handle support.

With the Dell/Nutanix relationship, it's reverse, you can buy directly from a Dell Partner and Dell will handle support. There isn't a requirement to be a Nutanix Partner, all enablement will come via Dell through Nutanix.

At least, this is how I understand it, a bit different in the support model.

I believe you can now buy the Simplivity licenses as a Cisco SKU so any Cisco reseller with the right partnership stuff can do it. I need to confirm that.

And honestly, I fully expect Cisco to just buy Simplivity at any minute.

I believe you can now buy the Simplivity licenses as a Cisco SKU so any Cisco reseller with the right partnership stuff can do it. I need to confirm that.

And honestly, I fully expect Cisco to just buy Simplivity at any minute.

As of now the partner still needs two quotes, one from Cisco for the actual hardware and one from Simplivity for the config. The Cisco gear is shipped to Simplivity where they add their card and software, then ship them to the customer.

The hardware isn't from supermicro anymore - it's a custom chassis by ACS.

You're also paying for the software - if you think a Tintri is just ZFS or WAFL or EXT4 with NFS on the front end, you're missing the entire point of the array and what it does, as well as missing what it means to have real support for a product in an enterprise environment. No real company buys white-box arrays simply because you ~need~ support - guaranteed hardware support, software support, cross-vendor cooperation, etc.

Well, they say that they are best(?) for VDI because of their optimization software doing 99% from SSD cache. Enterprise? Of course supermicro is enterprise hardware, of course mentioned Sandisk´s SSD is enterprise and of course the 2 in 1 box with Windows Server 2012 R2 is enterprise and of course I do get real support from Supermicro and from Microsoft. That´s no whitebox at all. But that´s not the point at all.

I think Tintri and Co. is not needed anymore with their boxes nowadays (we´re not talking about years ago) as their propagated hyped technique behind them is superseded, simply by the current evolution and pricing of SSD

I've never understood anyone wanting to build their own storage platform...unless Storage-as-a-Serivce (Backblaze, Crashplan, etc) is your business. I've never been paid well enough to want to "own" that piece of infrastructure and worry about update, supports, issues, etc 24/7.

If you really look at the total cost of these against building and supporting your own you find that $80K or whatever is dirt cheap.

Well, they say that they are best(?) for VDI because of their optimization software doing 99% from SSD cache. Enterprise? Of course supermicro is enterprise hardware, of course mentioned Sandisk´s SSD is enterprise and of course the 2 in 1 box with Windows Server 2012 R2 is enterprise and of course I do get real support from Supermicro and from Microsoft. That´s no whitebox at all. But that´s not the point at all.

I think Tintri and Co. is not needed anymore with their boxes nowadays (we´re not talking about years ago) as their propagated hyped technique behind them is superseded, simply by the current evolution and pricing of SSD

You really don't understand what Tintri, Nimble, or any of those guys are doing under the hood, to be bluntly honest.

Sure, Tegile wrapped OpenSolaris (Iluminos) in a fancy GUI with support behind it, but there's a reason places like Nimble, Tintri, X-IO, etc employ the folks that they do - there's a lot more to it than just an OS and disks, and all the parts that go into that - there's a lot more to storage than just disks and guest filesystem bits.

I've never understood anyone wanting to build their own storage platform...unless Storage-as-a-Serivce (Backblaze, Crashplan, etc) is your business. I've never been paid well enough to want to "own" that piece of infrastructure and worry about update, supports, issues, etc 24/7.

If you really look at the total cost of these against building and supporting your own you find that $80K or whatever is dirt cheap.

Well, I've got several folks building large swift clusters for storing data simply because scaling an Isilon or the like to that level doesn't make financial sense to large governments, never mind enterprises, but that's not for tier-1 data. It's for mass-storage, and the data gets moved elsewhere for the analytics runs. That makes perfect sense, but building your own for tier-1? Doesn't happen.

Why not build white boxes for enterprise? With SSDs so cheap, it seems like you could have double redundancy and even a sys admin for the price some of these vendors want.

Why not build white boxes for enterprise? With SSDs so cheap, it seems like you could have double redundancy and even a sys admin for the price some of these vendors want.

Were not talking about servers here, we're talking about SAN/NAS that contain your most valuable asset.

SSD's have always been cheap when looking at the performance scale, but let's face it, most environments only need a small subset of flash or dedicated flash for particular use case, Tier1 , EUC, etc..and I emphasize most, here. I"m not talking about the special use case.

Jason outlines the biggest issue and puts a price tag on it, it's better to pay the support than pay an employee to figure it out. You're taking two hits there, one, that employee wouldn't be productive with "other" things and two, you spending your time supporting something that's been "put together." Have all those components been validated and tested to work 24/7 under all types of conditions? I'm not just talking about support and failure rates here, i'm also talking about performance. I've seen people put all SSD systems together and the results of their testing were way off what they thought would be considered the "norm" with that they have.

Bottom line, the most valuable asset to any org is their data. You want to trust that based on the above? Not me.

Support, liability, vendor relations (and interoperability), reliability, standardization, etc etc... plus analytics/etc that you can't get from a white-box solution yet.

Two weeks ago one of our partners visited us and told us some horror stories/propaganda, but make perfect sense. Vendors start using cheap hardware for their SANs and if it fails they can replace it for cheap.

Let´s look at the different SSDs:
- Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB with a TBW of ~74TB + 3 years of warranty, price: ~380,-€
- Samsung SSD 845DC PRO 800GB with a TBW of ~14600TB + 5 years of warranty, price: ~860,-€
service contract with 24x7x4? No problem, I have dozens of those cheap SSDs in stock...

Two weeks ago one of our partners visited us and told us some horror stories/propaganda, but make perfect sense. Vendors start using cheap hardware for their SANs and if it fails they can replace it for cheap.

- Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB with a TBW of ~74TB + 3 years of warranty, price: ~380,-€
- Samsung SSD 845DC PRO 800GB with a TBW of ~14600TB + 5 years of warranty, price: ~860,-€
service contract with 24x7x4? No problem, I have dozens of those cheap SSDs in stock...

I heard Samsung has other enterprise SSDs that you can't even purchase. They are only sold directly to storage vendors. I don't even think those models are listed anywhere on Samsung's website.

I heard Samsung has other enterprise SSDs that you can't even purchase. They are only sold directly to storage vendors. I don't even think those models are listed anywhere on Samsung's website.

Correct - different block sizes for encryption or parity, etc.

And then one day you hit an incompatibility with your hypervisor of choice. Who do you call? VMware/Microsoft/RHEL? They'll just laugh. The open source project that made the storage software you're running? Chances are you're not paying them either.

Or you have a performance problem. Same issue as above.

Or you lose data due to a hardware failure and need someone to actually pay for recovering it, because Kroll wants more than you can pay, who do you call then?

It's about liability, interoperability guarantees (and the fact that the companies like Tintri, Nimble, etc will work with the other vendor in question), and knowing what you're doing.

Plus, if you still think that a bunch of SSD and spinning disk is the same as an enterprise array, I strongly suspect you haven't worked with many real enterprise arrays.

Back