Number of Social Media Users Passes 3 Billion

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Social media, AKA digital cancer, has reached a new milestone: data from We Are Social and Hootsuite reveals that the number of people using social media around the world has just passed the momentous three billion mark. The number of active social media users supposedly grew at a rate of one million new users per day over the past quarter.

Facebook delivered a significant portion of social media growth over the past 4 months, with the platform surging past the two billion MAU mark to reach 2.046 billion monthly active users at the time of writing. Other key social platforms posted solid growth in the past few months too, notably YouTube, whose recent updates to global user figures put the platform in second place in our global MAU (monthly active user) rankings, with 1.5 billion active users.

Social media, AKA digital cancer
:LOL:

I'm following Wario64 for the damn SNES classic pre-order updates.
False alarm (a la Walmart) means I'll have to keep following him until that day comes.

I couldn't find a stat for percentage of new SJW identified this quarter? Nothing about overall PC levels either... They did a terrible job.

But there's only 120 million people on Earth according to Justin Bieber's most viewed YouTube video...

The cancer spreads... Scientists fear that an entire generation has been mentally degraded due to social media use. It should be outlawed.

an entire generation has been mentally degraded due to social media use

I"m torn on this one. On one hand i think yes. But then i think.. nar.. they were always here, social media just makes them more visible. Hence why history keeps repeating itself. Uninformed idiots are abound in great numbers!

I know too much about people now. I have many old friends on Facebook who I'd known for years prior to social media being a thing, and I'm amazed at how they shameless post every little detail about their lives, much of which I'd find appalling or humiliating to share if it was me. Had I known all about them prior to Facebook, I probably would have never become friends with them to begin with.

I've always been an exceptionally private person, so I find it all even more repulsive. Keep a bit of mystery about yourself, it makes you more interesting. Have some discretion in the face you show the world, in flesh-and-blood and online.

What it's done to me as a private person is make me even more reluctant to open up to people, because you never know when they might decide to blab personal details about you online.

Smashing, Well said Sir. Many points you make there i have felt the same (you've put it more eloquently then i could). I think it just goes to show even more how much people are easily swayed by peer pressure and wanting to look "big and tough" or "cool and hip". To the point they are willing to toss integrity, humility and, caution to the wind without hesitation.

I"m torn on this one. On one hand i think yes. But then i think.. nar.. they were always here, social media just makes them more visible. Hence why history keeps repeating itself. Uninformed idiots are abound in great numbers!

Social media is actually making them dumb because they fill their head with the idiotic material that is there. Stupidity feeds stupidity. If you spend your time watching memes and other peoples narcistic posts about their lives it degrades your head slowly but surely. Just like using drugs.

Young people spend so much time on the social media that their mental development is slowed down and studies find that more and more young adults are behaving very immature considering their age. They have life control issues and health issues related to excess mobile device use.

The problem is escalated by young parents neglecting their children due to excess time spent on the social media.

Almost half the world's population, eh? With those numbers currently surpassing 7.5 billion--a good chunk of whom struggle daily for food and shelter--it's too bad you can't really eat social media... even if a larger percentage of its users seem to thrive on it.

Next up, researchers report an uptick in the number of lemmings going over cliffs after overindulging in lemming social media activities.

The problem is escalated by young parents neglecting their children due to excess time spent on the social media.

oh entirely agree. the facts are the facts. And lets not forget, any adult with two functioning brain cells could use common sense to conclude these very events.

HA. Adults with common sense these days. Novel idea!

Back