nuc 5th gen vs shuttle ds81

annilation

Limp Gawd
I am revamping my esxi home lab and want a low power, small, and quiet system. I was planning on the nuc's but with the 5th gen I see you cannot add a 2nd nic and have to use a m2 drive. When doing some searches I found the shuttle ds81 that allows you to add your own processor (thinking i5 4590 to stay in budget) and has a 2nd nic.

The second nic is not crucial but I was planning on messing with HA and shared storage a little.

Anyone have experience with the shuttle or both?

I am revamping my esxi home lab and want a low power, small, and quiet system. I was planning on the nuc's but with the 5th gen I see you cannot add a 2nd nic and have to use a m2 drive. When doing some searches I found the shuttle ds81 that allows you to add your own processor (thinking i5 4590 to stay in budget) and has a 2nd nic.

The second nic is not crucial but I was planning on messing with HA and shared storage a little.

Anyone have experience with the shuttle or both?

There is a NUC version with 2.5" drive support, it's a little taller.

I've been using the SuperMicro A1SAi boards - love them. Low power, IPMI, etc :)

you can, just need to get the mini pcie network card that has the pinouts for an Ethernet adapter.

Back