NTSB Revokes Tesla’s Party Status

I'd put the driver first, period. Then CalTrans. The car did what it thought it was supposed to do (follow the white line).
There's a barrier near here where a pickup rammed it (pretty much identical to the one in the vid) head-on. Truck was fubared, but the passengers survived.

That was 6 weeks ago, and NO ONE had even been out to clear the carnage left of the railing.

Cue you running into a missing barrier in 3...2...1...
You’d think this dumbass driver would have noticed then.

I drive past destroyed barriers often and have no trouble not crashing into them.

Guy was a dumbass, the Tesla system fucked up.

CalTrans is last on my list to blame.

Person did the world a favor.

here we go with this bullshit again

I see you recently joined the [H]. You won't be around long with troll posts like that.
What did he say that was wrong? The purpose of a gun is to kill things. That is what they were invented to do. Sure you can use them for recreational purposes, but they were made to kill things. You don't buy a rifle and use it as a coat rack.

Cars were invented to move people/things from one place to another faster than walking or horseback and with more flexibility than public transportation like trains. They can be used to kill, but that is not their intended purpose.

I hope I've been a member of the [H] long enough for your taste, although I suspect you'll find issue with my paltry number of posts.

"When a plane is on autopilot, it's not exactly flying itself,
\

this is no longer true.

asiana 214 they were using autopilot to land the plane, however from what i have read the pilot failed to put throttle in position to for the system to control it. system was armed and active but unable to control throttle.
the plane crashed due to losing too much air speed and descending faster than it should. also all 3 crew members failed to respond to multiple warnings and alarms to the various conditions.

What did he say that was wrong? The purpose of a gun is to kill things. That is what they were invented to do. Sure you can use them for recreational purposes, but they were made to kill things. You don't buy a rifle and use it as a coat rack.

Cars were invented to move people/things from one place to another faster than walking or horseback and with more flexibility than public transportation like trains. They can be used to kill, but that is not their intended purpose.

I hope I've been a member of the [H] long enough for your taste, although I suspect you'll find issue with my paltry number of posts.

The purpose of many firearms is far from "killing things" unless you consider punching holes in paper and marks on steel plates "killing things".

That is the troll of his post.

And, honestly, strays from the topic being discussed.

Does anyone know what the TOS for the autopilot are? My guess is you have to Enable/Opt In and a warning comes up. Seems to me if you do not follow that warning the driver is at fault. Either way seems the name should not be Auto Pilot (yet). Should be Drive Assistance for version 1.0 then when its at version 2.0 (fully autonomous) it should be renamed to Auto Pilot. Also, the Cities need to make sure lanes are marked and fix barriers / maybe somehow Tesla should allow a city to report something like that barrier and it should alert the driver and turn off auto pilot.

In fairness, even autopilot in planes is not meant for "sit in the back and do nothing" operation. That is why you have pilots, there are times when the auto-pilot needs to be turned off or corrected. Same for boats and spacecraft that also have autopilot features. Autopilot is not synonymous with driverless. People saying the name should be different, don't really understand what an auto-pilot feature is.

The purpose of many firearms is far from "killing things" unless you consider punching holes in paper and marks on steel plates "killing things".

I'm not debating whether guns should be banned. Just pointing out that what Big_Rig_Stig said is true. Guns were not made to put holes in paper and somebody figured out OMG you can hurt people with these. They were made to kill, and people figured out that it can also be fun to shoot holes in paper. if your only goal is holes in paper, may I suggest a BB gun.

But, you're right this is quite off topic.

\

this is no longer true.

asiana 214 they were using autopilot to land the plane, however from what i have read the pilot failed to put throttle in position to for the system to control it. system was armed and active but unable to control throttle.
the plane crashed due to losing too much air speed and descending faster than it should. also all 3 crew members failed to respond to multiple warnings and alarms to the various conditions.

This is still true. A pilot is not allowed to leave control of the plane to the system, the pilot or copilot is required to be at the controls and ready to take over at any time. Also, if you understand anything about autonomous control, you would know there is not a single level, but 5 levels (for most systems), most aircraft are at a level two and some are at level 3, and it has only been in the last few years that serious talk about possible level 5 autonomous aircraft being possible.

And as your own post shows, the pilots were required to take over due to warnings of events outside of the autopilots ability existed and them not responding fast enough resulted in the aircraft crashing. Yet the Autopilot in this very case you talk about, was not blamed, the flight crew was for inadequate monitoring of air speed and flight systems were, as they are still required to monitor and take control of the aircraft at any time due to events outside of the autopilots ability.

Guns are designed to kill. Cars are not.

Either one will get you or others killed if you do something dumb or irresponsible.

It's a slippery slope, if the product is sold as level 2 and someone chooses to treat it as level 5 then gets into an accident, who's fault is that? If someone decides to juggle guns cause "hey the safety is on" but gets himself shot, who's fault is that?

Both tragic of course, but a certain level of personal accountability is in order imho.

Last edited:
I'm not debating whether guns should be banned. Just pointing out that what Big_Rig_Stig said is true. Guns were not made to put holes in paper and somebody figured out OMG you can hurt people with these. They were made to kill, and people figured out that it can also be fun to shoot holes in paper. if your only goal is holes in paper, may I suggest a BB gun.

But, you're right this is quite off topic.

So were knives, yet we use them for different purposes than originally intended (putting holes in people), but can't do the same with guns?

I'm all for tesla releasing the actual data. NTSB expecting them to sit there for 12-24 montsh of bad publicity over false facts/news is absurd. But I would not be surprised if that was their intent, and they were dragging their feet on purpose. Too much money from scurred mega auto manufacturers trying to kill competition.

I don't know why people have a problem with this as many of our transportation evolutions required blood to advance.

You’d think this dumbass driver would have noticed then.

I drive past destroyed barriers often and have no trouble not crashing into them.

Guy was a dumbass, the Tesla system fucked up.

CalTrans is last on my list to blame.

Person did the world a favor.
Wow, your compassion is overwhelming.

I see you recently joined the [H]. You won't be around long with troll posts like that.

Boy, you best park that attitude. I've been here as long as the [H] has been in business, and a member of the forums from the get-go.

And it's not bullshit: two TOTALLY different things that require TOTALLY different trains of thought.

I'm not going to blame the system when the problem is selective enforcement. Selective enforcement is a people problem.
Then we can blame you, because you're part of the system, by being a citizen and an (alleged) voter.

If people don't demand action on things that kill people, more people die. Those of you who call yourselves "christians" seem to be the worst when it comes to "eh, he deserved to die".

Compared to me, you're a n00b, too... but I won't hold that against ya.

\

this is no longer true.

"AutoLand":
In aviation, autoland describes a system that fully automates the landing procedure of an aircraft's flight, with the flight crew supervising the process. Such systems enable airliners to land in weather conditions that would otherwise be dangerous or impossible to operate in

Wikipedia:

A gun is a tubular ranged weapon...

And I'm not the idiot that compared banning WEAPONS with CARS.

, otherwise might as well ban guns next.

In fairness, even autopilot in planes is not meant for "sit in the back and do nothing" operation. That is why you have pilots, there are times when the auto-pilot needs to be turned off or corrected. Same for boats and spacecraft that also have autopilot features. Autopilot is not synonymous with driverless. People saying the name should be different, don't really understand what an auto-pilot feature is.
#ThisShitRightHere

Ask me about Payne Stewart's death sometime...

Either one will get you or others killed if you do something dumb or irresponsible.

It's a slippery slope, if the product is sold as level 2 and someone chooses to treat it as level 5 then gets into an accident, who's fault is that? If someone decides to juggle guns cause "hey the safety is on" but gets himself shot, who's fault is that?

Both tragic of course, but a certain level of personal accountability is in order imho.
Of course. But the comparison is still shoddy.

So were knives, yet we use them for different purposes than originally intended (putting holes in people), but can't do the same with guns?
Knives were first intended to kill people? I thought they were originally used to cut things like sticks and skins from animals killed with spears. Guns weren't invented for target shooting: they were invented for WAR, the deliberate act of killing your fellow man to take something away from him.

I guess that guy in Vegas was just having target practice.

I don't know why people have a problem with this as many of our transportation evolutions required blood to advance.
I have a bigger problem with moron drivers with their faces stuck into their phones sexting their panda or something. I have a massive problem with my duly-employed government allowing an obviously dangerous and deadly situation to go on way too fucking long.

But, hey, I guess human sacrifice is the requirement of your "God" for advancement, so let's start with someone random.

Back