NSA Shutting Down Bulk Phone Surveillance By Sunday

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know what this means, don't you? You probably shouldn't use your phone until Monday. ;)

The U.S. National Security Agency will end its daily vacuuming of millions of Americans' phone records by Sunday and replace the practice with more tightly targeted surveillance methods, the Obama administration said on Friday. As required by law, the NSA will end its wide-ranging surveillance program by 11:59 p.m. EST Saturday (4:59 a.m. GMT Sunday) and expects to have the new, scaled-back system in place by then, the White House said.

I'm curious what % of the calls made in America are robo calls/ ads/solicitations/etc etc instead of actual phone calls. NSA probably won't release the data, but it'd be pretty interesting, I think.

Yea... by Monday.... it just means they are kicking it under the couch. It'll still be going. It'd be stupid not to. Not that I agree with it, but I doubt the NSA is the only people who do this.

Probably means they have a deal with the British government, "you spy on our citizens, we'll spy on yours. afterwards we can swap notes and no one will be the wiser."

Aww man, how convenient!
I can finally pass my DIY neutron bomb making tutorial over the phone without having to whisper!

NSA is just shutting down "VACUUM 1.0" Saturday night, but will fire up "SUPER SUCK 1.0" on Sunday.

NSA is just shutting down "VACUUM 1.0" Saturday night, but will fire up "SUPER SUCK 1.0" on Sunday.

It's either that or they finally found an unclaimed Palantir. "They are not all accounted for, the lost seeing stones". Well, Gandalf, times changed :(

Yea... by Monday.... it just means they are kicking it under the couch. It'll still be going. It'd be stupid not to. Not that I agree with it, but I doubt the NSA is the only people who do this.

They were getting the data directly from the Providers with the provider's knowledge and not allowing the providers to tell anyone about it. But you didn't know this.

Finally nothing to worry about organizing my IED hobby group / drone flying fan club with my phone!

On the one hand it won't make much real difference, they'll still get a warrant for phone records from a suspect phone number and have the provider pull two hops, (or is it three), worth of connected calls instead of having the providers give them the data so they can do their own search. Since they still can't know who owns all those connected phone numbers before hand, they'll still have to get those retroactive warrants for any American Citizen's numbers, the rest are freebes.

One the other hand, they won't continue to collect and store this data helping mitigate the potential for future abuse of that data. Of course they still have everything, that they already collected, stored for the next five years.

Somewhere tonight there are businesses who support the program crying at their lost income.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll hear 10 years from now that someone discovered the system still in place and collecting data the entire time. Sorry, I don't believe they're shutting it down just because they said they would, when it was something they didn't even originally acknowledge in the first place.

Probably just gonna start up another program so they can continue doing what every other country with the capability is doing right now

Anyone who believes the NSA will stop bulk phone surveillance should have his/her driver's license and voter registration revoked immediately and permanently. You are far too stupid to be trusted behind the wheel and in a voting booth.

Sure they will shut it down for now let it hibernate for a while. In the mean time they will tap the transatlantic cables and feed that into a new program in some off shore oil platform. Just business as usual.

Yeah quick! Don't call your wife to say hello or ESPECIALLY send your grocery list as SMS until the surveillance is shut down. I mean you have so much to worry about.

NSA: "We're not collecting anything about Americans."
Snowden: Bullshit, and here's proof.
NSA: "Well, we're only going after terrorists."
NSA: "Well, we're just collecting metadata."

etc. On and on it went. Those folks are sociopaths!

They have ZERO credibility left. Absolutely none. In fact, that's probably not strong enough: they have actual negative credibility. Not just is any random thing they say as likely to be a lie as not, it's much more likely to be a lie than not.

Second, so what kind of a 'court order' are we talking about here? An honest to God subpoena issued by a real court and a real judge and all the Constitutional protections provided by such? Or a secret FISC (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court) finding issued by a bunch of kangaroos with a rubber stamp for hands?

I truly believe they have secret courts like russian dolls. Probably six deep by now.
If they made everything illegal under FISA, I don't think anything would change.

They were getting the data directly from the Providers with the provider's knowledge and not allowing the providers to tell anyone about it. But you didn't know this.

Actually I did. However, I don't think that was the only way they did it. It has been a while since I've heard Snowden talk about it after all.

Second, so what kind of a 'court order' are we talking about here? An honest to God subpoena issued by a real court and a real judge and all the Constitutional protections provided by such? Or a secret FISC (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court) finding issued by a bunch of kangaroos with a rubber stamp for hands?

I don't see anything patriotic about the Patriot Act.

Senator Rand Paul FEDERAL AGENTS CAN WRITE THERE OWN SEARCH WARRANTS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTLouTKtNHg
Federal Agents have written their own National Security Letters against US citizens 200,000 times in the last 10 years, without asking any judge or any court.

2 million times over the last 10 years Federal Agents have looked into the banking records of American citizens, without asking any judge or any court.

Judge Andrew Napolitano, "Natural Rights and the Patriot Act".
Part 1, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1P53wMbnsw
Part 2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjhNZjanX9k
Part 3, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2m-X7OIuY

Governments are businesses. They have some obligations to the general public, like making sure private enterprises are viable - roads are needed, streetlights are needed, a military force needs to be maintained etc.
But they have employees. A lot of them. And those employees have the ability to 'alter the rules' for their own benefit.
The country I live in is so openly hostile to citizens, and so corrupt and buried in lies that I'm actually surprised people still vote. It seems 4 years is the typical Pole's memory span. I have never voted because it's literally absurd to me. I will not fart outloud if it means supporting any political power. I WILL hold it in. :D
All you need to do is anonymously (IP based) write a post on a popular forum which offends a piblic figure and you'll be surprised by a platoon of good-doers in uniforms breaking your door down at 6 in the morning on a friday. It has happened. It still happens.
I reboot my router (so I get a new IP), clear my browser's cache, cookies, and proceed to setup a throw-away e-mail on some local server. I provide false data. I don't configure an e-mail client, solely rely on the webmail UI. I then proceed to setup a FB account using this fake e-mail. Again, I provide false data. I login and there it is - my former job colleague's mug with the caption 'people you might know'. HOW IN THE F**K?

I reboot my router (so I get a new IP), clear my browser's cache, cookies, and proceed to setup a throw-away e-mail on some local server. I provide false data. I don't configure an e-mail client, solely rely on the webmail UI. I then proceed to setup a FB account using this fake e-mail. Again, I provide false data. I login and there it is - my former job colleague's mug with the caption 'people you might know'. HOW IN THE F**K?

I don't believe this. Even if they tracked users by MAC addresses or browser fingerprints they wouldn't let you know it. I'd bet one [H] coin it was user error.

I don't believe this. Even if they tracked users by MAC addresses or browser fingerprints they wouldn't let you know it. I'd bet one [H] coin it was user error.

It's entirely possible, I'll try that again actually to make sure.
In my defense I can say I know how stuff works because I spent 5 years coding for the web. It has happened, but I am not excluding some error I missed. I'll retry for curiosity's sake.

Okay, cleared settings, ran ccleaner, rebooted modem, rebooted computer. Did not enter any familiar site, went straight for a throw away e-mail provider. Made FB account with it.
So far no matches.
So, it's either - they will appear because I'm right, or it won't because they changed their Modus Operandi or I was indeed wrong with the first try.
I'll try to let you know.

Back