NSA Says Snowden Stole Co-Worker's Password

HardOCP News

[H] News
I can't believe someone that would steal thousands of classified documents before fleeing the country would steal someone's password. What is the world coming to?

That co-worker resigned after being stripped of his security clearance, according to the report, which also indicated that a member of the US military and a contractor were barred from accessing National Security Agency facilities after being linked to actions that may have aided Snowden. Their status is currently under review, according to the memo.

oh, so he really didn't do anything other than what the NSA does, then.

overly-attached-nsa-meme.jpg

Guy1: Hey Ed, can you log in and check my email.
Ed: Sure, what's your password.
Guy1: Pen1sLVR23
Ed: Nope, no email. Talk to you later.

That's not really stealing.

This thread is like a giant wooden spoon for stirring the pot. Or maybe a stick that's being smacked against the nest filled with hornets. :D

I think it had to be done and I thank him for bringing this to our attention.

But it would be nice for once, just once to have an IT guy that doesn't look or act a complete dick when faced with the media. Snowden hasn't done too badly but still room for improvement.

The NSA accusing someone of stealing a password ... anything for that matter ... just sounds funny to me. This is probably the biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black ever heard of.

The NSA accusing someone of stealing a password ... anything for that matter ... just sounds funny to me. This is probably the biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black ever heard of.

I always feel the question should be asked to the NSA -

If you feel you have the right to spy on us, then shouldn't we have a right to spy on you?

All is fair in love and war etc.:D

He did it for the greater good. Issue him a pardon.

You can make the same argument about the Rosenbergs then.

But then you have to believe that the USA was on par with the USSR as far as being "good" for the world.
The death toll communist regimes war against their own people is in the untold millions.

For all the faults of the U S of A, can you say the same?
Absolutely not.

You can make the same argument about the Rosenbergs then.

But then you have to believe that the USA was on par with the USSR as far as being "good" for the world.
The death toll communist regimes war against their own people is in the untold millions.

For all the faults of the U S of A, can you say the same?
Absolutely not.

Whatever happened to the native Americans then?

LOL "he resigned after being stripped of his clearance".. You mean he was fucking fired.

I love how at certain levels of the government that you can gracefully bow out after you've already screwed up to the point of getting shit canned, so you can go on to do it elsewhere.

So many brothers here are still so lost.

The NSA is doing what we authorized them to do over 10 years ago. That's why their programs are legal, we passed the laws ourselves via our representatives in Congress. It was a pretty unanimous showing too. It probably passed by the widest margin since the declaration of war against Japan in Dec. 1941.

I know many of you still buy in on the idea they are spying on you but they are not spying on you. Some feel there isn't enough oversight and yet the list of abuses are so extremely few as to be almost none. In only one single case did an NSA employee actually gain access in personal information on a US Person that they were not authorized to access. One time, the employee did it by accident basically through negligence, she was caught by the Agency itself via an audit and punished for her mistake.

Now if the law is found to be unconstitutional then it all changes but that is for the courts to decide and it doesn't matter who else believes it's unconstitutional, until SCOTUS makes the call, that won't change.

There is a second way though. It is possible that public opinion can be so strong against these programs that they will decide to end them. But they are not going to give as much credit to "uniformed and misled opinions" as they would to opinions that are based on fact, logical, and well presented.

Claiming the programs are unlawful is a mistake and makes you look stupid because they are not unlawful.

Claiming the programs are unconstitutional is a mistake, because SCOTUS hasn't determined that yet.

Claiming the NSA is spying on all of us is a mistake, because they are not.

But.... Claiming these programs, though legal and perhaps useful, represent a future risk that is unacceptable to the American People, well that might be true and that is an opinion that if expressed by enough Americans can't be ignored or swept away us unfounded or without merit.

Sometimes you just have to stand up and say "We the People, Don't want it!".

And when they say why? We reply "Because we don't believe that it is in our best interest, as the Citizens of a free nation, to allow our government and it's agencies to conduct activities that present an appearance not consistent with the values of our people"

Whatever happened to the native Americans then?

There is no correlation between the fate of the Native American Indians and what Stalin and Mao did to their people. The Native American Indians were not US Citizens and they represented cultures that in most cases would not integrate into our culture.

There simply is no basis for comparison.

LOL "he resigned after being stripped of his clearance".. You mean he was fucking fired.

No, it's not what they mean and it is not what happened. You are simply ignorant of how things work.

Maintaining a Security Clearance is a burden carried by the cleared individual. Even this guy who had a job as a contractor, was required to keep his own clearance in good standing, it is an individual responsibility.

He failed to do this and lost his Security Clearance. At that point he was no longer certified for working in his current position on his current contract. But this doesn't mean he has to be fired, his company could offer him a position somewhere else that does not require a clearance. That job might require him to move or it might not, but in the end, the employee must decide to continue working for his company or to resign and move on. If he resigned, then he wasn't fired.

The Native American Indians were not US Citizens

Yes, and that's exactly the kind of thinking that is the source of all what's wrong witht the USA today. It's like saying "The Blacks were not humans, so slavery was fine".

My bother in law has an interesting perspective on this issue. Without going into a lot of detail, he carries a gun, arrests lots of people, and deports them - all in the name of "the war on drugs." Anyways, he's part of "the club" so to speak - at least as far as getting information on people and using it against them, including citizens if necessary.

He says the whole thing is mind boggling and makes no sense. On one hand - he is pretty much free to do whatever he wants. On the other, he is strapped by the legal system and monetary rules. If he breaks the rules - they bad guys will surely walk. Also, the bureaucracy and $ cost of obtaining "spying" information is exorbitantly high. Oh - he can get it, but it's not worth it. He spends a fraction of the cost on informants, gets exactly what he needs, and doesn't have to deal with judges, and the courts, and the system in general.

So to use his words - he "doesn't understand what all these data centers and spying programs are for because the US government is too incompetent to a) actually tabulate and use the gathered information efficiently and b) there are better, tried and true ways to "get someone"" He thinks it's probably going on - ie wasting taxpayers money on vacuuming up everything, but that it's probably about as effective as Obama's healthcare website.

I just found it an interesting perspective, and one I somewhat shared myself. Stop wasting my taxpayer money on stupid stuff because 1) you don't need to and 2) fix some potholes

Yes, and that's exactly the kind of thinking that is the source of all what's wrong witht the USA today. It's like saying "The Blacks were not humans, so slavery was fine".

No, it's a problem with the way humans think period. It isn't confined to the way "Nations" think. People do this stuff, they always have, there is no reason to think they will ever stop.

So to use his words - he "doesn't understand what all these data centers and spying programs are for because the US government is too incompetent to a) actually tabulate and use the gathered information efficiently and b) there are better, tried and true ways to "get someone"" He thinks it's probably going on - ie wasting taxpayers money on vacuuming up everything, but that it's probably about as effective as Obama's healthcare website.

Except that it is completely false. It is a false concept because he, and most people, are not paying attention and actually listening to how this data is used. Everyone keeps thinking they are doing some fancy shit like sifting through all of our email and stuff, wrong, we don't have any way to do things that way effectively and on top of that, it's horribly inefficient. Instead of sifting through mountains of data looking for something that might be important, they are doing exactly what they say they are doing. They are focusing on a known bad guy, a target, almost always a foreign national, and they use the meta data to develop a list of numbers that represent possible associated bad guys or people being used by the bad guy. Then they find out who owns the numbers, get warrants if required, and then relook their list to see who works for a chemical company and who works for Dominoes Pizza. So if you look at it this way you begin to see that it isn't hard work or whatever this guys brother thinks it might be.

The NSA is doing what we authorized them to do over 10 years ago. That's why their programs are legal, we passed the laws ourselves via our representatives in Congress. It was a pretty unanimous showing too. It probably passed by the widest margin since the declaration of war against Japan in Dec. 1941.

I know many of you still buy in on the idea they are spying on you but they are not spying on you. Some feel there isn't enough oversight and yet the list of abuses are so extremely few as to be almost none. In only one single case did an NSA employee actually gain access in personal information on a US Person that they were not authorized to access. One time, the employee did it by accident basically through negligence, she was caught by the Agency itself via an audit and punished for her mistake.

Now if the law is found to be unconstitutional then it all changes but that is for the courts to decide and it doesn't matter who else believes it's unconstitutional, until SCOTUS makes the call, that won't change.

There is a second way though. It is possible that public opinion can be so strong against these programs that they will decide to end them. But they are not going to give as much credit to "uniformed and misled opinions" as they would to opinions that are based on fact, logical, and well presented.

Claiming the programs are unlawful is a mistake and makes you look stupid because they are not unlawful.

Claiming the programs are unconstitutional is a mistake, because SCOTUS hasn't determined that yet.

But.... Claiming these programs, though legal and perhaps useful, represent a future risk that is unacceptable to the American People, well that might be true and that is an opinion that if expressed by enough Americans can't be ignored or swept away us unfounded or without merit.

And when they say why? We reply "Because we don't believe that it is in our best interest, as the Citizens of a free nation, to allow our government and it's agencies to conduct activities that present an appearance not consistent with the values of our people"
shh.jpg

Well when you fake a terrorist attack on your own nation, it's not hard to convince congress that we need more surveillance for national security. Then attack anyone who disagrees.

And "we" didn't authorize anything. Representatives I didn't vote for passed laws allowing huge government overreach behind closed doors. And the majority of the population is dumb enough to just go along with it, or too lazy/complacent to care.

Well when you fake a terrorist attack on your own nation, it's not hard to convince congress that we need more surveillance for national security. Then attack anyone who disagrees.

And "we" didn't authorize anything. Representatives I didn't vote for passed laws allowing huge government overreach behind closed doors. And the majority of the population is dumb enough to just go along with it, or too lazy/complacent to care.

this.

Well when you fake a terrorist attack on your own nation...

What terrorist attack was faked?

And "we" didn't authorize anything. Representatives I didn't vote for ...

You voted one way or another.

You either voted for them and you got what you asked for.
or
You voted for someone else who lost, sorry, that's just the way it goes....
or
You didn't vote at all so that your apathy and involvement amounted to a vote for whoever won.

Doing nothing does not equate to not being responsible.

passed laws allowing huge government overreach behind closed doors.

No laws were passed behind closed doors, it was all right out in the open.

No laws were passed behind closed doors, it was all right out in the open.

I betcha that it was done inside a building and that the doors of the building were the kinds that either swing shut by themselves or were closed not to let air conditioning or heat escape.

Also...um...breaking up a lot of smaller thoughts into individual posts that would all fit into a single post is kinda a forum etiquette no-no thingey to do which might explain the "shhh" thingey you got earlier. :D Besides, I don't think breaking up posts really gets you more better or extra special attention that you're looking to obtain.

I always feel the question should be asked to the NSA -

If you feel you have the right to spy on us, then shouldn't we have a right to spy on you?

All is fair in love and war etc.:D
I believe you've just summed up how we all feel.
I say it's a great place to start making good on all that "most transparent administration ever" BS.

I believe you've just summed up how we all feel.
I say it's a great place to start making good on all that "most transparent administration ever" BS.

We are, the people who work at the NSA use cell phones too, their calls are recorded as well as ours, it's all being done to everyone. Or did you think they get "special phones"?

[QUOTEBy ]CreepyUncleGoogle;
lso...um...breaking up a lot of smaller thoughts into individual posts that would all fit into a single post is kinda a forum etiquette no-no thingey [/QUOTE]

The guy posts on three separate topics he get's three separate responses all to better clarify and distinguish them thingeies by.

How does that even make any sense? Being human is something you are born into. Being a citizen is something you have to join.

Back