NSA Hacked North Korea Before Sony Attack

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, so the NSA hacked North Korea before they hacked Sony but the spy agency didn't realize that an attack on the company was imminent?

The N.S.A.’s success in getting into North Korea’s systems in recent years should have allowed the agency to see the first “spear phishing” attacks on Sony — the use of emails that put malicious code into a computer system if an unknowing user clicks on a link — when the attacks began in early September, according to two American officials. But those attacks did not look unusual.

So to be obvious, NSA hacked NK in order to route the 'evidence' of NK hacking Sony through them. Why they wanted to set them up beats me. What is there to gain, incriminating a country that already does its best to incriminate itself.

Oh "Cyber-warfare" is going to be so much fun for a while. These agencies do love a new toy.

People will die.

So to be obvious, NSA hacked NK in order to route the 'evidence' of NK hacking Sony through them. Why they wanted to set them up beats me. What is there to gain, incriminating a country that already does its best to incriminate itself.

Money and power. It worked in Iraq with WMDs.

Money and power. It worked in Iraq with WMDs.

But NK has no wealth. Nobody has anything to gain from invading it. Only thing that would happen out of it would be a lot happier Koreans (both sides would just love to see the dictatorship die).

You feeling ok? That one was terribly half-hearted. :(

Oh shush you! :D

Though if I have to give out excuses, I'm going with setting the bar really low so that everything else I do that's mediocre is totally awesome by compairson.

If you read the article it would claim that NSA was in their systems first.... So this brings up the whole if we hacked first why do we whine when they hack back?

Apply this to war, cyber attacks, terrorism... today it sure seems that we instigate everything and create our own problems.

Exactly what is our "National interests?" that is used all the time to explain why this is the way it is... as well why we do what we do. I still don't know what our interests are but apparently the government does and its a secret to all but them.

Exactly what is our "National interests?" that is used all the time to explain why this is the way it is... as well why we do what we do. I still don't know what our interests are but apparently the government does and its a secret to all but them.

Our national interests are whatever the American Peo.......er... I mean, whatever the campaign "donors" say they are.

If you read the article it would claim that NSA was in their systems first.... So this brings up the whole if we hacked first why do we whine when they hack back?

Apply this to war, cyber attacks, terrorism... today it sure seems that we instigate everything and create our own problems.

Got to love the hypocrisy of (our) government. Seems like national security interests would classify anything/anyone that threatens the current establishment (ie: both political parties, and anyone with enough money to influence them).

Um...the NSA is a part of the US government and Sony is like from Japan. Plus I thought there was like a big debate about whether or not it was actually North Korea that even hacked Sony to begin with.

Take the conspiracy one more step farther. Didn't matter who got blamed NK just made itself an easy target. It was about a corporation potentially losing a lot of money over a hacking incident. Not just customer credit card info, it was bout getting it all over the news so when the next big push for one of these ridiculous internet security bills is up for vote it will have the backing of major corporations and the public. ;)

remember how the news became obsessed with this drivel at the expense of the torture report findings? It always seemed like a forced news story...worked well to re-direct attention.

That's not even a 1/10, you need to up your game. Take some pills or something.

It was more of a reminder than anything else. Obviously you're emotional about it and wanted to have it as the supporting thingy for your feelings, but I think using being not alive without some kind of context like maybe, "People will die sooner than they would otherwise," or something would have been more helpful to whatever negative opinion you have about the NSA which is really just going along with the current popular outrage since not much else has distracted people into being outraged about something else.

It was more of a reminder than anything else. Obviously you're emotional about it and wanted to have it as the supporting thingy for your feelings, but I think using being not alive without some kind of context like maybe, "People will die sooner than they would otherwise," or something would have been more helpful to whatever negative opinion you have about the NSA which is really just going along with the current popular outrage since not much else has distracted people into being outraged about something else.

That's a lot of projecting.

remember how the news became obsessed with this drivel at the expense of the torture report findings? It always seemed like a forced news story...worked well to re-direct attention.

Yep, hit it where it hurts - the TV sofas of the coffee and bun generation.

So North Korea is evil because they hacked Sony. They know this because the NSA hacked NK first. So doesn't that make the NSA more evil than North Korea. The NSA has done millions of more hacks than North Korea has.

You're mistaking exposure via light as image-carrying...on purpose because I'm so awesome for finding the truth. :p

Actually, Internet fighting aside, I'm not referring to the NSA. Hack attacks are the new hotness and we have this amazing ability to think that the internet isn't real. It is, and hacking can be used to kill people, especially in a world of online logistics, hell, online everything (like say health information and hospital medication dispensation). It's like any weapon, it needs to be treated with a little more respect than it is right now.

We need to think of these sorts of actions more as drone strikes than lulz. It could be an incredible weapon to take out people who need to be made not alive, but right now it's almost a game.

Actually, Internet fighting aside, I'm not referring to the NSA. Hack attacks are the new hotness and we have this amazing ability to think that the internet isn't real. It is, and hacking can be used to kill people, especially in a world of online logistics, hell, online everything (like say health information and hospital medication dispensation). It's like any weapon, it needs to be treated with a little more respect than it is right now.

We need to think of these sorts of actions more as drone strikes than lulz. It could be an incredible weapon to take out people who need to be made not alive, but right now it's almost a game.

I don't understand why some medical system would be connected online in the first place. They're a security nightmare with all those XP based control systems lol.

Protecting the rich from the poor and any possible (global) competition. They don't tell us because it's on a need to know basis. Yes, get back in the line, now!

I don't understand why some medical system would be connected online in the first place. They're a security nightmare with all those XP based control systems lol.

System isolation is too hard for most government, corporations, and citizens to grasp. This "internet of things" idea is high risk as far as I'm concerned.

But NK has no wealth. Nobody has anything to gain from invading it. Only thing that would happen out of it would be a lot happier Koreans (both sides would just love to see the dictatorship die).

North Korea has unicorns

NSA has no other reason to spy on NK. An brutally oppressive dictatorship in the process of actively developing nukes and missiles who has made threats to nearby US allies as well as the US.

Yeah they really need frame them for a Sony hack because... Remind me again?

NSA has no other reason to spy on NK. An brutally oppressive dictatorship in the process of actively developing nukes and missiles who has made threats to nearby US allies as well as the US.

Do they threaten all the other countries (Non-US allies) in the world the way they threaten the USA and allies? I mean, the only leading country in the entire world that has ever (ever) dropped nukes on hundreds of thousands of innocent citizens, twice, and would do it again tomorrow if asked.

Just saying...sure, NK is crazy, but, crazy is what crazy does in real life. Let me know when NK actually tries anything first. Talk is cheap, even your own government has made the very same statement about NK, they don't consider them a real threat. Think Pufferfish. You were saying?

There is no one government to worry about more to let off another nuke than the US government. They'd contemplate killing their own people in a false flag attack just to start a profitable war. True story.

Looks like we won't have to wait for spring to roll around before north korea starts shooting fireworks into the ocean

In other news, spy agency spying on another nation, more at 11

So the NSA is doing what its charter states, spying on foreign entities. Hooray.

Much like cracking enigma and knowing about german attacks in britain that were upcoming, why would you prevent those attacks and risk exposure?

The game is played, regardless of press, and you cannot stop it, and when you hear bullshit stories like how Germans complain about that untermenschen Merkle getting hacked by our NSA, its a bad thing, meanwhile every single ally and enemy of this country spies on us as well. Get over it. Its how the game is played. We hack, they hack, we steal, they steal, we deny, they deny, all involved collect the citizens tax dollars as payment for their services.

In other news, fuck SONY. They deserved every single thing they get, like any other online entity who doesnt take security seriously the first time, now in round two they want to cry about it and blame a nation state. I dont give a shit if chip and his brother toby hacked it from down the street, its their own fault. Oh, they want you to agree to THEIR terms of service, but they cannot even protect their own network. Well boo fucking hoo. Now lets see what happens with the lawsuits currently under way by certain people exposed in the hack. I hope they go to the supreme court and set some type of precedent for this type of information breach that affects end users and gives anyone involved legal recourse to sue the ever living shit out of these corporations for being so obsessed with share holders concerns over the users of their products. Its supposed to be the customer is always right, not fuck them, Goldman Sachs wants a higher return rate on their investment.

There is a simple right and wrong to all of this.

RIGHT
NSA is right to hack any foreign entity.
North Korea is right to hack any foreign entity.
SONY got what they deserved.

WRONG
Sony Customers got fucked by SONY, not by whoever hacked them.

Do they threaten all the other countries (Non-US allies) in the world the way they threaten the USA and allies? I mean, the only leading country in the entire world that has ever (ever) dropped nukes on hundreds of thousands of innocent citizens, twice, and would do it again tomorrow if asked.

Just saying...sure, NK is crazy, but, crazy is what crazy does in real life. Let me know when NK actually tries anything first. Talk is cheap, even your own government has made the very same statement about NK, they don't consider them a real threat. Think Pufferfish. You were saying?

There is no one government to worry about more to let off another nuke than the US government. They'd contemplate killing their own people in a false flag attack just to start a profitable war. True story.
Hope you get paid by the quantity of your posts and not the quality.

Back