Nreal Air AR glasses

lobstar

Limp Gawd
Anyone else playing with these? https://www.nreal.ai/air/

I picked them up as a portable display for my Steam Deck and I'm blown away. They are great for watching youtube on the couch through your phone as well. Once they are setup they work just like any external usb-c monitor. I have heard you can have issues if using them with an HDMI adapter.

Look very interesting to me, although I've been interested in this type of thing since I saw some el-shitmode versions of these like 20 years ago, flickery, low res, truely craptastic, but just something that can give you a high quality large format private screen for media is always something I thought would be killer.

What are the differences between the Air and the Light models? Other than the Lights being ugly AF and the Air not being available in the US yet? Website is big on style, low on substance, and I didn't see the answer for the few minutes I was willing to put up with it.. Either way, something I'll keep on my radar for the future.

I tried watching media on my OG HTC Vive back when I had it setup, but it just wasn't comfortable for very long, even though I know newer headsets are supposedly more so, I still doubt they would be great for this. While I'm sure it would be nice if these things had a battery and you didn't need to be wired up, I think they made the right choice skipping the added bulk, weight, complexity, and risk of having an onboard battery, for now, not to mention the wireless connectivity limitations.

I tried watching media on my OG HTC Vive back when I had it setup, but it just wasn't comfortable for very long, even though I know newer headsets are supposedly more so, I still doubt they would be great for this. While I'm sure it would be nice if these things had a battery and you didn't need to be wired up, I think they made the right choice skipping the added bulk, weight, complexity, and risk of having an onboard battery, for now, not to mention the wireless connectivity limitations.
I had the same experience with both of my VR HMDs. These provide a similar or better field of view and way more comfortable.
What are the differences between the Air and the Light models? Other than the Lights being ugly AF and the Air not being available in the US yet? Website is big on style, low on substance, and I didn't see the answer for the few minutes I was willing to put up with it.. Either way, something I'll keep on my radar for the future.
The Light is specific to some model of phones where the Air has more broad compatibility once initialized. But I could be wrong, I never really did feel certain of that. I think the Light has cameras too? My personal reason for the Air over the Light was because I wanted a monitor replacement.

Holy hell I want these, shocking it’s taken this long for a company to release a simple HMD that is just a large screen.
I don’t need head tracking, just give me a large clear screen that floats in my face.

Way too expensive. These are for rich people. But they sure seem like an interesting toy. Durability would also be an issue.

Holy hell I want these, shocking it’s taken this long for a company to release a simple HMD that is just a large screen.
I don’t need head tracking, just give me a large clear screen that floats in my face.
These types of HMDs have been around since the 90s. (i.e. sony glasstron 1996) They are just less garbage now.

We use the lights (or a different version, those look different and ours were like 1K apiece) for AR experiences at work work, they work great , we take them to events and people love them.

These look and review great but for the price I'd want great 3D video with it.
Like these.

Reactions: noko
like this
How clear is text? I plan on using these for gaming, but also would like to use them as a virtual desktop, but if text is blurry then that won't work for a 8 hour workday.

How clear is text? I plan on using these for gaming, but also would like to use them as a virtual desktop, but if text is blurry then that won't work for a 8 hour workday.
I used them as a second monitor today while working on-site. You definitely need to take eye strain breaks if you read a lot, work with data, or a terminal. I personally don't have any issues with readability and if I do simply adjust the zoom slightly is enough to make the jaggies go away. My excel was at 103%, nothing crazy, just to help with aliasing.

Revisiting this thread. I am considering getting these glasses. Can anyone confirm the quality of them using the HDMI adapter that is bundled with it on Amazon? I think my main rig has on board usb-c but my secondary home theater rig doesn't just a standard rtx 3070 gaming x with HDMI 2.1. Any insight about using these with HDMI 2.1 with the bundled adapter because from what I understand HDMI 2.1 doesn't have the power supply needed to power the adapter making the adapter necessary because it has a built-in battery in it? Also, what sucks is you can't keep the adapter charged while using it because it uses the same output port being used to connect to charge the adapter itself so you either charge it, or use it, you can't do them both simultaneously

If their product is as bad as their website, nope, talk about useless non smooth scolling

If their product is as bad as their website, nope, talk about useless non smooth scolling
Yea I am skeptical about them as well. They have 331 four-star rating on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Nreal-Micro-...Compatible/dp/B0BF5LKP5Q?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1 You can try them risk free and return if you don't like them, I'm not sure If I even want to deal with it. They seem so cool though for many use cases at home or on the go. Mainly I hate holding up a device or sitting at the PC for a long period of time as I start to get fatigued either my neck or hands. This device would allow you to chill and enjoy you know what I mean.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Revisiting this thread. I am considering getting these glasses. Can anyone confirm the quality of them using the HDMI adapter that is bundled with it on Amazon? I think my main rig has on board usb-c but my secondary home theater rig doesn't just a standard rtx 3070 gaming x with HDMI 2.1. Any insight about using these with HDMI 2.1 with the bundled adapter because from what I understand HDMI 2.1 doesn't have the power supply needed to power the adapter making the adapter necessary because it has a built-in battery in it? Also, what sucks is you can't keep the adapter charged while using it because it uses the same output port being used to connect to charge the adapter itself so you either charge it, or use it, you can't do them both simultaneously
Quality is the same as over USB-C. USB-C operation requires DP-alt mode and will not work without it. Most DIY PC motherboards don't have it. Many laptops do. Phones are a mixed bag. I use this to create the DP-alt mode signal from HDMI. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WCNYCQT?psc=1
Mainly I hate holding up a device or sitting at the PC for a long period of time as I start to get fatigued either my neck or hands. This device would allow you to chill and enjoy you know what I mean.
I have my Steam Deck docked on my end table with these glasses and a collection of controllers in the drawer. I can play games and watch tv with the family. I can watch youtube in bed fully laying down without holding anything. It's absolutely amazing.

Quality is the same as over USB-C. USB-C operation requires DP-alt mode and will not work without it. Most DIY PC motherboards don't have it. Many laptops do. Phones are a mixed bag. I use this to create the DP-alt mode signal from HDMI. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WCNYCQT?psc=1

I have my Steam Deck docked on my end table with these glasses and a collection of controllers in the drawer. I can play games and watch tv with the family. I can watch youtube in bed fully laying down without holding anything. It's absolutely amazing.
Very cool. Have you tried it with a Windows 11 desktop PC using a 3080Ti or any graphics card over HDMi or display port with the adapter?
If not what do you know about using a standard graphics card such as a 3000 or 4000 series Nvidia card running Windows 10 or 11?

You are doing a horrible job of talking people out of wanting these.

Very cool. Have you tried it with a Windows 11 desktop PC using a 3080Ti or any graphics card over HDMi or display port with the adapter?
If not what do you know about using a standard graphics card such as a 3000 or 4000 series Nvidia card running Windows 10 or 11?
I've used them on my desktop with my 3090. I use this cable out of the only HDMI port on the FTW3 Ultra and plug in that Siig adapter. It still needs USB power so I run a cable from the front of my UPS which is right near by. This results in another display in the Windows "Display Settings" menu just as any other monitor would. It works on Linux, Mac, and Windows and requires no software if converting HDMI out to DP-alt mode.

I do the same thing on my work laptop except I just plug it into the Thunderbolt 4 port directly. Having overlapping display space is really weird and can provide with some interesting workflows. That is Win10 with DP-alt mode over TB4.

I've used them on my desktop with my 3090. I use this cable out of the only HDMI port on the FTW3 Ultra and plug in that Siig adapter. It still needs USB power so I run a cable from the front of my UPS which is right near by. This results in another display in the Windows "Display Settings" menu just as any other monitor would. It works on Linux, Mac, and Windows and requires no software if converting HDMI out to DP-alt mode.

I do the same thing on my work laptop except I just plug it into the Thunderbolt 4 port directly. Having overlapping display space is really weird and can provide with some interesting workflows. That is Win10 with DP-alt mode over TB4.
Wait I need to understand a lot of what's going on here. Why do you use a sigg adapter and not the included one break sells in the bundle? What is the purpose of this?
The HDMi cable you use is a standard HDMI 2.1 cable?
Why not a displayport slot/cable?
So you mean you need to sacrifice your one and only HDMi cable just for these glasses? Meaning you need to unplug your monitor if it uses HDMi 2.1 which mine does for 4k144hz on the big display.
You can or cannot use a display port slot from the 3080Ti or 3090 since it has 3 of those on it?
When you say UPS do you mean a power supply? Which one? Can you help me understand please?
You now have how many wires plugged into the glasses one? Or two?
How does this work exactly? Where to plug 2 wires in?
Can you go a bit more in depth ease? I am considering buying these glasses but need to fully understand the commitment to use them on a 3080Ti or 3070 etc. Thank you in advance.

Wait I need to understand a lot of what's going on here. Why do you use a sigg adapter and not the included one break sells in the bundle? What is the purpose of this?
The glasses I ordered didn't come with anything like that. The Siig adapter is what generates the DP-alt mode signal for the glasses from the video signal provided by whatever HDMI source.
The HDMi cable you use is a standard HDMI 2.1 cable?
It's the exact one I linked above. 2.0b or something. I just wanted a 10ft M to F cable.
Why not a displayport slot/cable?
HDMI is more likely to be found on the devices I'd care to use this on. I also use all three on my 3090 for monitors.
So you mean you need to sacrifice your one and only HDMi cable just for these glasses? Meaning you need to unplug your monitor if it uses HDMi 2.1 which mine does for 4k144hz on the big display.
I use DP for those. I have 2x 3440x1440 and a 2560x1440 all over 100hz. It's required for GSync on my displays.
You can or cannot use a display port slot from the 3080Ti or 3090 since it has 3 of those on it?
I would NOT since I have no way of converting the signal from that source. As stated above, I use those anyway. HDMI is the unused port.
When you say UPS do you mean a power supply? Which one? Can you help me understand please?
It's just for the power source of my Siig adapter. Any 5v1.5a USB power source will work. My ups has a charging port on the front. Thats all.
You now have how many wires plugged into the glasses one? Or two?
The glasses will only ever have one USB-C cable connected. There are no other ports.
How does this work exactly? Where to plug 2 wires in?
1670650056547-png.533210
1670650142164.png

First time buying technology? ;)
Can you go a bit more in depth ease? I am considering buying these glasses but need to fully understand the commitment to use them on a 3080Ti or 3070 etc. Thank you in advance.
Being as polite as possible, I don't think I can explain this any more in depth. If you want to use these with any device, you need to have a DP-alt mode signal. Video cards no longer have USB-C ports therefore do not output DP-alt mode. If you can find a device that converts your DisplayPort output to DP-alt mode you will have no problems. Since this doesn't exist I chose to use HDMI which has a wide range of accessories that make this easy. It's been three months since I looked so maybe something new is out there but I doubt it, these HDMI to DP-alt mode devices are a unicorn. Most are the other way around, USB-C to HDMI for things like Macbooks and other laptops. You'll see stuff like this and think I'm an idiot but these are always directional devices. The nreal subreddit has lots of 'doesn't work' post so if you go down this rabbit hole check that place out first.

Attachments

• 1670650056547.png
    1670650056547.png
    767.6 KB · Views: 0
If only the massive Energizer phones were not given up on. We could use those fat batteries about now :p
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ower-max-p18k-pop-huge-battery-phone-mwc-2019

Another happy Nreal Air owner here. Steamdeck, Mac, switch, ps5, etc. Nice for laid back gaming. I camp a lot with a solar+starlink setup so this is perfect. Very crisp picture. I play a lot of trackmania on it before i fall asleep, and dont have to worry about waking the wife up.

The glasses I ordered didn't come with anything like that. The Siig adapter is what generates the DP-alt mode signal for the glasses from the video signal provided by whatever HDMI source.

It's the exact one I linked above. 2.0b or something. I just wanted a 10ft M to F cable.

HDMI is more likely to be found on the devices I'd care to use this on. I also use all three on my 3090 for monitors.

I use DP for those. I have 2x 3440x1440 and a 2560x1440 all over 100hz. It's required for GSync on my displays.

I would NOT since I have no way of converting the signal from that source. As stated above, I use those anyway. HDMI is the unused port.

It's just for the power source of my Siig adapter. Any 5v1.5a USB power source will work. My ups has a charging port on the front. Thats all.

The glasses will only ever have one USB-C cable connected. There are no other ports.

1670650056547-png.533210
View attachment 533211
First time buying technology? ;)

Being as polite as possible, I don't think I can explain this any more in depth. If you want to use these with any device, you need to have a DP-alt mode signal. Video cards no longer have USB-C ports therefore do not output DP-alt mode. If you can find a device that converts your DisplayPort output to DP-alt mode you will have no problems. Since this doesn't exist I chose to use HDMI which has a wide range of accessories that make this easy. It's been three months since I looked so maybe something new is out there but I doubt it, these HDMI to DP-alt mode devices are a unicorn. Most are the other way around, USB-C to HDMI for things like Macbooks and other laptops. You'll see stuff like this and think I'm an idiot but these are always directional devices. The nreal subreddit has lots of 'doesn't work' post so if you go down this rabbit hole check that place out first.
Fantastic explanations. I understood everything now.
My new motherboard has multiple USB type C ports on the IO ports in the back. I got the new Z790 Aorus Master.
The new issue is I only have a 12700KF with no integrated video lmao. I never imagined a device like this would be something I was interested in. Considering getting a 13700k or 13900k with video as opposed to the KF version I have now.

So If I get a 2nd video card a 2060 for example that has a USB C display out it will work without needing to be charged right? The whole problem with using an HDMI to USB C adapter is that it works but then needs to be charged while not in use? But if the video card with USB C is used it just works without needing to be charged at all correct?

So If I get a 2nd video card a 2060 for example that has a USB C display out it will work without needing to be charged right? The whole problem with using an HDMI to USB C adapter is that it works but then needs to be charged while not in use? But if the video card with USB C is used it just works without needing to be charged at all correct?
DP-Alt mode over usb-c is required. Make sure the card has that.
What do you guys think about this? https://www.vopmart.com/belkin-charge-and-sync-cable-for-huawei-vr-glass.html looks promising? could save me the headache of buying a whole ass new graphics card and not deal with the HDMI port either so i can still have my monitor plugged in and use the display port? anyone try this? willing to try it? lol
Buy it from some place with a good return policy. I don't see a mention of DP-alt mode. Doesn't mean it won't work :)

Some reviews say this one works with Nreal AIR glasses.

Elebase HDMI Male to USB-C Female Cable Adapter with Micro USB Power Cable,HDMI Input to USB Type C 3.1 Output Converter,4K 60Hz Thunderbolt 3 Adapter for New MacBook Pro,Mac Air,Microsoft Surface​

https://a.co/d/9ZwEdAE

Last edited:
Do they make a USB-C splitter so you can charge your Steam Deck and run these at the same time? I don't own them (yet...?) but just curious. Steam Deck would be my main use case and the battery life is already not great.

Do they make a USB-C splitter so you can charge your Steam Deck and run these at the same time? I don't own them (yet...?) but just curious. Steam Deck would be my main use case and the battery life is already not great.
Nubia Red Magic supposedly works. I should be getting mine in next few days to test just this.

Nubia Red Magic supposedly works. I should be getting mine in next few days to test just this.
I have the Redmagic, can confirm. I modded mine. I cut too far and almost damaged it but everything is ok now that I glued it back on. Next task is to make the cable shorter.
1671235297277.png
1671235329320.png
1671235339068.png

1671235452454.png

Or if you prefer to be wrong.
1671235487041.png

Just being a second confirmation that the Redmagic/SteamDeck/Nreals work fine together while charging. Will be using with my throwaway S20 as well.

Back