NPD Predicts Switch Will Be 2018's Best-Selling Console

I really like the hardware for portable use, it's replaced my PSP & Vita nicely, but i'm mostly let down by the lack of UI features & polish. Useful friend chat-nope, themes-nope, any sort of apps-nope. It's super bare-bones right now & that disappoints. I'm also a bit letdown with the current options for multiplayer gaming. I lost interest in competitive multiplayer long ago, but am big into Co-op with my wife. For all the various Co-op games like the various SHMUPS & twin-stick shooters available...how many have online or head-to-head CO-OP available? All i've found is couch only. Think nintendo has really missed a trick in making their online service a must-buy for an entire audience when they focus only on pushing it for competitive games. Maybe Monster Hunter will convince me their service will be worthwhile when it goes pay-to-play in Sept or so. I hoped TitanQuest co-op would do the trick, but apparently the console port has been fairly screwed up & I don't see the Nintendo version doing magically better when it releases. Here's hoping THQNordic doesn't screw up Victor Vran when it comes to Switch.

If they don't do something soon to add value I'll simply look into CFW when it gets off the ground, not for piracy since i prefer to buy my things, but for the options/customization that the CFW will undoubtedly add to the UI that Nintendo just can't seem to wrap their heads around

The PS4 has been the best selling console of this generation, but the folks over at the NPD group are predicting the Switch is going to take that crown this year. Yes, God of War and other Sony exclusives are moving consoles, however, Nintendo has a nice stable of games for the Switch that are turning the tide. That little Switch really is the engine that could if NPD is correct. I wonder how many hardcore Sony fans have grabbed a Switch to go along with their PS4?

Driven by the launches of Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu!, Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Nintendo Switch will be the best-selling console of the fourth quarter in unit sales, while also elevating the platform to be the best-selling console of the year.

It's ironic. Since the days PSone, which I read started as a co-venture between Nintendo and Sony, many PS owners have ended up buying some kind of Nintendo partner. Having the two covers a wide range of games w/o overlapping much. Have great memories of switching between PS2 and Nintendo 64 back in the day. Only makes sense something similar would happen now.

1.0.jpg

It's ironic. Since the days PSone, which I read started as a co-venture between Nintendo and Sony, many PS owners have ended up buying some kind of Nintendo partner. Having the two covers a wide range of games w/o overlapping much. Have great memories of switching between PS2 and Nintendo 64 back in the day. Only makes sense something similar would happen now.

View attachment 88645

I’m always of the opinion that Nintendo plus a PC or Nintendo plus a competing console is the perfect gaming solution. It’s pretty much the best combo for the widest range of games and play styles.

Edit: The more I think about it, it's always been that way.

NES + C64 (or Master System maybe)
SNES + Amiga or early PC (or Genesis or PC Engine/TG16)
N64 + PC (or Playstation or maybe Saturn)
Gamecube + PC (or XBox maybe PS2)
Wii + PC (or X360 or maybe PS3)
Wii-U + PC

etc...

The PC can be swapped out for the other consoles if that's your thing. Some people don't like gaming on computers, but something like a Switch+XBOneX would get you into that territory. The N platforms have always provided a set of games that were complementary to computer games or say the arcade ports of Sega platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Via VGChartz.com Global sales
1. PS4 - 80.4m - 59%
2. XBoxOne - 37.9m - 27.8%
3. Switch - 18.1m - 13.3%

Via VGChartz.com Global sales
1. PS4 - 80.4m - 59%
2. XBoxOne - 37.9m - 27.8%
3. Switch - 18.1m - 13.3%

Never trust VGChartz for anything. That said, they probably aren't too much off on the percentages even if their actual numbers are worthless.

Never trust VGChartz for anything. That said, they probably aren't too much off on the percentages even if their actual numbers are worthless.

Only Poors care which has sold the most units because they want to feel like the one they chose was the correct one.

Buy them all. The correct one is the one you play.

Only Poors care which has sold the most units because they want to feel like the one they chose was the correct one.

Buy them all. The correct one is the one you play.

I care, but mostly because I find the numbers interesting. I don't really care who's on top or what game is selling the best, etc, I just find the actual sales data fascinating.

I care, but mostly because I find the numbers interesting. I don't really care who's on top or what game is selling the best, etc, I just find the actual sales data fascinating.

It actually matters if one console is supremely dominant. The reason is developers want to sell games and may not have the ability to develop on multiple platforms at the same time. If everyone has an inferior console that is cheaper, and no one has the superior hardware because it is expensive most game development occurs on the lesser platform. See: Computers.
I like seeing all the consoles sell huge. It means more opportunity and variety for game development. I believe in a diverse community of gaming.

Also, America was founded as a nation for white land oweners and we should return to our roots. #BuildThatWall

Final fight trilogy needs to get put out.
Really want to play those.

Definitely a good fit. However, for playing the original, only the arcade version will do. Preferably with a proper stick setup. My 8 year old daughter just beat FF1 with me on MAME on the X-Arcade stick setup.

That would be the COOLEST thing I've ever seen :)

They could probably do it if they used HLE. I don't think the Tegra could do full cycle-accurate chipset emulation, but with a good quality high level translator, it might be able to pull that off. Not 100% sure about that, but it seems within the general realm of possible.

Back