now what happens to the iPods?

gigglebyte

2[H]4U
now that the G3 iPhone is announced...what do you think is going to happen to the iPod line? I have talked to a couple of friends that still work there and they are waiting as well. If you look at the current price structure, 8Gig iPhone at $399 and the 16Gig at $499 (IIRC) 8/16/32Gig Touch for $299/399/499 respectively you would expect the new pricing to be similar...base Touch should be $149-199 .... but that brings up a question...who would buy a Nano if they can get the Touch for the same price? So does the Nano go away? what about the Shuffle? I am curious what other people think.

I don't think a thing changes on the ipod side. The touch won't change in price (well, short of the normal storage updates). ATT isn't subsidizing the touch, but is subsidizing the 3G iphone. Unless they want to be generous...I'll take a subsidy on a touch, listening ATT?

I don't think a thing changes on the ipod side. The touch won't change in price (well, short of the normal storage updates). ATT isn't subsidizing the touch, but is subsidizing the 3G iphone. Unless they want to be generous...I'll take a subsidy on a touch, listening ATT?
What he said, the touch will continue to be priced similar to what it's at now. The iPhone has been subsidized at that price, the touch is not subsidized.

Do you guys think the new iPhone will be unlockable, etc.? I have the current iphone but with no data plan (only using wifi for everything). I've been trying to figure out the differences but all there seems to be is 3g, white/black color on the back, and half the price.

Do you guys think the new iPhone will be unlockable, etc.? I have the current iphone but with no data plan (only using wifi for everything). I've been trying to figure out the differences but all there seems to be is 3g, white/black color on the back, and half the price.

Besides exterior, 3G, and A-GPS, most of the update is coming in the form of the 2.0 software update. For this reason I will probably keep my EDGE iPhone because 3G is minor to me, currently, and A-GPS is something I will probably not use.

Problem with the new iPhone, is you have to sign up for an AT&T plan to get the lower price.

I wish they would come out with a 3g touch, no voice.... ATT can sell us the data plan.

I have pretty much been wishing that since they announced the iphone. I don't want my phone to be integrated into everything else from a pure battery life point of view. Having my phone and then everything else (that can access the internet) would be worth some money to me.

iPod prices won't change much. The iPod line is the sacrificial cow to the iPhone, which is the trojan horse that Apple is using to get the OS X Touch platform into as many hands as possible.

The iPod has its own advantages and will still be around. Initial price may be the same or higher than an iPhone (come on, an iPhone costs as much as a nano now), but it will be made up by no required cell phone+unlimited data subscription. Size will also help out the iPod line in the case of the nano. I would jog with a nano, no way I would do it with an iPhone.

Either way, it will be interesting to see just how much iPhone sales will cannibalize iPod sales. I suspect that Apple doesn't care too much if it does eat iPod sales. Growth in the iPod market is pretty much done. They still sell a ton, but they have sold the same ton for two years now. Their cell phone market has much more room to grow.

Does anyone know if the current rate for iPhone users will be the same?

e2g, I've heard reports about it being $10 a month more.

For the EDGE phone, are you referring to the data plan? The current EDGE iPhone will not change in monthly charges, it is the 3G iPhone which will have a 30USD data plan, which increases the overall monthly charges by 10USD.

I'd buy a Nano over a Touch even if they're at the same price because I like my mp3 players to be small. I carry around enough things already: cell phone, wallet, keys.

I'd buy a Nano over a Touch even if they're at the same price because I like my mp3 players to be small. I carry around enough things already: cell phone, wallet, keys.

True story. I would do the same. Hell, I'd even get a Shuffle over a Touch in order to listen to music while running/lifting.

Back