Now THIS Is Facial Animation!

Wow. I mean Wow. This has L.A. Noire beat by far. (Obviously) But really, it looks impressive.

that looks similar to the new Planet of the Apes system

(hmmmm, how many years before our desktop vid cards can handle that?)

Incredible! .. he had me at "You're DOOMED!" Now all i have to do is buy the 690 or the 7990 :)

That is fantastic. Unfortuantely, we will probably only get something that detailed in pre-rendered cutscenes for now. Unless the new Unreal Engine can catch up, and run on the coming next-gen cards

I would love to have that detail in video games,but then I would have to afford the video card to run it.

I'm waiting for the dawn of the age of supernaturally hot movie babes, played by good, if homely, actresses.

I'm doomed.

I find this to be more pleasing to view than L.A. Noire, since Noire has that weird mouth thing, and with the eyes they lack detail.

I'd like to see this done with some optimized polygons and perhaps tessellation to bring the detail back and we may see this real time in the Kepler era.

You wont see this kind of facial animation for quite some time in games. They used Face Robot for this which is a muscle solver. Games right now use skeleton based animation for the face. My work machine is a xeon i7 and with a fully solved 9000 poly Face Robot head working off mocap data it runs at about 18-20 fps.

All your seeing is Mocap data + Face Robot + some pretty nice displacement zbrush work... and some rendering magic :p

Clearly this is what Valve was waiting for before completing HL2:Ep3. Nothing stopping them now!

*crickets*

Probably the most convincing facial animation tech using traditional motion capture. Wonder if we'll see a realtime approximation of it anytime soon. Until then, the technique used in LA Noire might be a better way (and would probably look much better on a PC)

Man, if we ever get hat sort of quality in video games...Games will be so much scarier.

This tech will be in movies, pc games, and on next gen consoles in the handful of years. In fact, it's using current off the shelf pc tech now.

Funny, the TIN TIN trailer is a big joke right now because they haven't shown anyone actually talking.

That's what I call good head :D Plus he's correct too. I am "doomed". I'm going straight to the bad place when I'm done here.

This is movie tech and not game tech. The polys are squares and not triangles.

If this technique can be integrated and simplified into a Webcam/Kinnect kind of device... I will be video conferencing to have an avatar animated in real time representing myself!

If this technique can be integrated and simplified into a Webcam/Kinnect kind of device... I will be video conferencing to have an avatar animated in real time representing myself!

That would be sweet.

It looks pretty fantastic. Still looks artificial in a few places (parts of the facial texture stretching unnaturally for extreme expressions), but looks better than most real-time and hell, even pre-rendered models.

I thought it was good, you hush ;)

Impressive. The skin textures are insanely good, disgustingly so, look at his neck, look at the skin, best I've seen yet.

Actually I was agreeing with you lol but at the rate Valve is going they're going to recycle the source engine for the next 20 years :D

Back