Now THIS is a NIC!

I can't believe that even low-end cards have heatsinks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833166002

The one you posted has a bunch of them (which is understandable). But, even a $12 card has heatsink... that's soooo cool! I think they don't need it, but if a techie (myself including) sees a gigabit card w/ a heatsink and one without it, he/she will go for the one with the heatsink even if it absolutely does NOTHING for the card.

i gota cheap old compag proliant server with 2x1fiber port per card and 2x2 100mbit ethernet for 25 usd :)
course i got nothing to use the fiber ports yet :/

Wouldn't you rather not need a heat sink because that means the card runs cooler?

i would think so

kinda the way i felt when i got my x-fi and saw a heatsink on it, im like eehh, soundcards w/ heatsinks...whatever works, i got plenty of airflow but wow

00ber_m00 said:
Wouldn't you rather not need a heat sink because that means the card runs cooler?

By that logic, I would think that my Diamond 8MB AGP video card is better than my XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB AGP video card... wouldn't you agree? I mean, the XFX has a heatsink and a fan... the Diamond has neither :p

I was just trying to make the point that NICs are now faster and better than ever before :D

Back