Now that -bigAdv is gone, what are the advantages of folding on Ubuntu over Windows?

agrikk

Gawd
If I recall, one of the primary drives for folding on an Ubuntu box was that the -bigAdv option was Linux only. Now that it is no longer A Thing, are there any PPD benefits to folding on Linux over Windows?

[I've just flattened a folding box and am rebuilding it and I realize how much I dislike working on a Linux box. :)]

Also for GPU there is a slight advantage for Linux with respect to PPD.
Then MS on Windows often remove the OpenCL-DLLs when automatic upgrade is active (from what I read here and there).

On the other side overclocking is easier on Windows as Linux still has limited support; no issue for me as I have factory-OC hardware (=lazy).

So for CPU-only boxes, there isn't much of a difference between Linux and Windows, then?

What about the additional scripts like Langouste or Kraken? Last night I ran the fahinstall script from the setup guide and it installed everything but when I launched the auto-installed v6 client, the client threw an error that it couldn't connect to a work server.

I originally went Linux to take advantage of all the community additions like Langouse and Kraken but those are for v6. If there's no work for v6 and the performance hit is for GPU clients, am I understanding that Windows is roughly equivalent to Linux performance wise?

Yes, v6 is dead and asynchrous download/upload has been in v7 for quite a time (with next-unit-percentage = 100), making Langouste outdated

Latest CPU core is A7, it will use AVX if available on your CPU, and support high cores counts as A5 did. If no AVX it will revert to SSE. To my knowledge no update of the Kraken was released to support core A7, and I don't even know if DLB can be enabled on this one.
To answer your question, we would need core A7 Linux vs Win performance report. I didn't follow that much A7 since my 2P MB died...

So for CPU-only boxes, there isn't much of a difference between Linux and Windows, then?

What about the additional scripts like Langouste or Kraken? Last night I ran the fahinstall script from the setup guide and it installed everything but when I launched the auto-installed v6 client, the client threw an error that it couldn't connect to a work server.

I originally went Linux to take advantage of all the community additions like Langouse and Kraken but those are for v6. If there's no work for v6 and the performance hit is for GPU clients, am I understanding that Windows is roughly equivalent to Linux performance wise?

Linux is still better as there can be less overhead for CPU and GPU.

Back