Now MoviePass Will Only Let You See Certain Movies on Certain Days

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
MoviePass continues its downward spiral of moving further away from the service’s original promises: the heavily indebted company announced this week that subscribers will now be limited to seeing certain movies depending on the day. For instance, Jason Statham’s new shark movie, “The Meg,” will only be available to see on Monday this week.

MoviePass did not indicate it would "offer up to six films to choose from daily," changing the number of movies and the titles themselves each day. This may confuse or disappoint those who stuck around expecting they would still be able to see any movie they wanted to. Many MoviePass subscribers have canceled the service only to be re-enrolled in the new plan, and this could be the last straw for some, depending on how long the limitation lasts.

How to ensure your business dies... do what they are doing

Yep, many people were willing to give the 3-per-month limit a try. But they're limiting the daily movies to a lot of movies that have limited showings, so the majority of users won't have much of a selection.

My choices today?: Crazy Rich Asians

I just cancelled my subscription two week ago when they decided to change the program I signed up for. Unlimited movies per month, 1 per day for $9.99 per month.

Too many restrictions now. The movie theaters will take a hit not movie pass. I won't be frequenting the movies (when I'm traveling 2-3 weeks a month) and thus not spending money on over priced concession stand items.

Shit like this does not ever last long, because it never fits the business model. It is a waste to even try......you may get ahead for a bit, but it will end eventually. Free (or low cost), is only ever given from the business model if it is on the lifeline.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just cancelled my subscription two week ago when they decided to change the program I signed up for. Unlimited movies per month, 1 per day for $9.99 per month.

Too many restrictions now. The movie theaters will take a hit not movie pass. I won't be frequenting the movies (when I'm traveling 2-3 weeks a month) and thus not spending money on over priced concession stand items.
Well they had to add more restriction. They were losing money at a insane rate. This never had a chance to work.

Is what it is. Absolutely a trash service. The only film I could see today was blackkklansman or whatever. Which, I will not be going to see.

Movie theaters were doing just fine. You really expected them to stay in business with that business model? My friends were abusing the crap out of it, lol. When I looked in to it, I told them this model won't last. Did movie theatres not survive before movie pass? Honestly if you thought this was going to last forever you had your expectations wrong.

I go to movies may be twice a month. They needed a better plan. This never had a chance to work for a long time.

It was dying anyways. Now they are just trying to find ways to survive. If they keep the original model they might as well close the door and go home because that shit is not going to work.

You people that claim to have canceled your subs, you might want to check on that more carefully 'cause you might still be subscribed:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/moviepass-isnt-letting-subscribers-cancel-accounts-1201993950/

upload_2018-8-19_16-11-29.jpeg

Thanks! gonna have to check on that

Here that sound?? it's the collective scream of venture capitalists who funded this pie hole scheme of an idea that in no way could have possibly worked screaming at the top of their lungs at all the money they lost.

I'm surprised it took this long. There's simply no way to make a profit with something like this.

I'm surprised it took this long. There's simply no way to make a profit with something like this.

Well not from a third party anyway.

The only way a moviepass type service works is if its offered by the movie studios and theater owners themselves. If they where both in on the ownership in a hulu type deal... where subscribers where also marketed digital downloads, merch ect it could for sure work.

Once MoviePass dies in the next few months... I wouldn't be shocked to see a few of the major studios and theater chains announce plans to cooperate on something movie pass like.

This article is 100% fake news. The truth is that for weeks now, Moveipass app absolutely refuses to even show any showtimes or let you buy tickets sometime after about 11am each day. It's 100% worthless, and I had to cancel 3 times to actually get them to truly cancel the fucking thing. Check the reddit for it. If anyone actually gets it to work and sees a movie that day, it's a miracle. This service is dead but they refuse to admit it.

What gets me is why would theaters be opposed to Movie Pass? That is what one article I read in the past mentioned.
Theaters are getting full ticket price, and if you don't have to pay for your ticket, you might be inclined to buy some over priced concessions, so the theater makes out with Movie Pass holders.

You mean to tell me the too good to be true business model was, in fact, too good to be true?

I'm shocked.

Really.

What gets me is why would theaters be opposed to Movie Pass? That is what one article I read in the past mentioned.
Theaters are getting full ticket price, and if you don't have to pay for your ticket, you might be inclined to buy some over priced concessions, so the theater makes out with Movie Pass holders.

ultimately it's because they didn't think of it first.. once movie pass dies, expect every theater to come out with their own version.

This article is 100% fake news. The truth is that for weeks now, Moveipass app absolutely refuses to even show any showtimes or let you buy tickets sometime after about 11am each day. It's 100% worthless, and I had to cancel 3 times to actually get them to truly cancel the fucking thing. Check the reddit for it. If anyone actually gets it to work and sees a movie that day, it's a miracle. This service is dead but they refuse to admit it.

Must be why the stock declined 40% ... from 5 cents to 3 cents, hah. Was $5100 at one point ...

I was pretty excited when I first got my Moviepass for the like 6.50/mo.. Went ahead and bought the year.
Ive seen 9 movies in like 5 months, when I previously watched about 1 a year in theater.

Its pretty much impossible to watch a movie anymore with the restrictions.
Its the equivalent of buying a subscription to a lottery ticket.

A service like this from a 3rd party NEVER had a chance to succeed in the first place. Their one and only hope is that %90 of its subscribers would see no more than 1 movie and month and hopefully some of them wouldn't even see a movie every month. With the cuts the have to give to the various parties, the studios, the theaters, etc. it was never going to be a sustainable business model. Now a theater based system might have a better chance, but even then they are hoping and praying that %90 of people only see maybe a movie a month. The amount of the ticket sale that goes to the theater is tiny compared to what goes to the studio's, even if most of them saw one movie a month they are still banking on them dropping good money on concessions as well.

They may have been hoping for the gym model. Most people forget after a while and never cancel. Or they know they aren't using it, but promise themselves they will for sure use it next month, or once things settle down....which never happens.

A service like this from a 3rd party NEVER had a chance to succeed in the first place.

I'm most shocked to find out this is 3rd party. I just assumed this was the theaters coming together to get people to just show up. Take the loss up front, and hope they buy refreshments. How a 3rd party would make tales of it, I don't know.

You people that claim to have canceled your subs, you might want to check on that more carefully 'cause you might still be subscribed:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/moviepass-isnt-letting-subscribers-cancel-accounts-1201993950/

if you cancelled before you opted in the opt in takes priority? That is the must fucked up logic i have ever seen. So they are trying to claim that since you cancelled before they switched your account so they don't know if you wanted to switch it so just assume the cancelling was only you trying to switch. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Well not from a third party anyway.

The only way a moviepass type service works is if its offered by the movie studios and theater owners themselves. If they where both in on the ownership in a hulu type deal... where subscribers where also marketed digital downloads, merch ect it could for sure work.

Once MoviePass dies in the next few months... I wouldn't be shocked to see a few of the major studios and theater chains announce plans to cooperate on something movie pass like.

I don't know about that. I have seen some chains start special deals where for a certain fee you get discounts on food and tickets. But I don't see big studios giving out tickets for free. Because right now they still make shitloads on big tentpole movies. Do you really think Disney is going to let you pay $3 month and see every Disney owned movie as much as you want? They wouldn't see thr profits they do then on Marvel movies or many other series that bring them nice poles of money. This really only helps out the smaller movies that people only go see because they are "free" this would never help the large movies. So you would almost have to say it only applies to certain movies... Then are right back to where you started with limits.

They may have been hoping for the gym model. Most people forget after a while and never cancel. Or they know they aren't using it, but promise themselves they will for sure use it next month, or once things settle down....which never happens.

that is most likely what they hoped. That people would go crazy the first month then maybe use it once a month if even that. Unfortunately it is much easier to motivate yourself to be a fatass and sit around than it is to be active.

Back