Now I'm a Win 7 believer

Cally

Limp Gawd
Today was the first chance I have had to get Win 7 running since I installed it a few weeks back. The main trouble I Had was Win 7 not recognizing my Linksys wireless adapter and being able to connect to my home network. I had Win 7 installed on a backup computer and just put the problem on a back burner.
Today I hauled it upstairs and connected the computer through a cat 5e ethernet cable and updated the computer. There were 3 updates to install, one of them was the Linksys wireless adapter. When everything was done updating and needed to be restarted I unplugged the ethernet cord and did the reboot. I had only to add the password and I was connected wirelessly.
Now everything is updated and running quite well. Overall I like the look and feel of this new OS. Looks like when it is out for sale I will update my computers with it.

I LOVE win7
i just got it up and running on my brand new system in my sig that i built weekend. this is such a major upgrade coming off my old p4, wow

seriously everything is smooth as silk

I loved Windows 7 Beta and will buy it, but it is not ready now.

I use ADobe CS4 apps quite a bit and it had some issues. Some effects would cause an app to crash, while other times I will get a lock up :(. While I think it is simple awesome, I have to wait :(. I shed a tear going back to Vista, lol.

I loved Windows 7 Beta and will buy it, but it is not ready now.

I use ADobe CS4 apps quite a bit and it had some issues. Some effects would cause an app to crash, while other times I will get a lock up :(. While I think it is simple awesome, I have to wait :(. I shed a tear going back to Vista, lol.

Yeah there are some rough edges but it does seem to be working great on my tablet all of my apps work fine its seems but there are some rough edges and it looks like CS4 doesn't play nicely.

That's why they need to do a second beta or two RC's at the least. I just think that something like CS4 should be running in beta well before an RC comes out. Just my opinion.

I shed a tear going back to Vista, lol.
This is what I don't get. I don't understand why everyone is going gaga over a product that is basically an optimized Vista kernel. While I certainly see promise in Windows 7 and will be upgrading to it upon its release, I don't understand why, aside from the FUD marketing, why people are so eager to run away from Vista.

There are lots of different reasons:

It's faster and more stable for some
Some like the new task bar
Libraries are actually very nice, its much easier to deal with files across machines and folders
The tablet features are much improved

You can't just look at the code and say gee its not that different. People don't pin code to the task bar. So while I do understand where you are coming from to an extent and still have Vista running trouble free on my sig rig, if I were more comfortable with 7 would be on this rig too. 7 is simply much better from the UI perspective and fortunately for Microsoft's sake most people seem think the same.

I just started using this yesterday and it workd 100 percent for me! i thought i would have issues but none so far. gonna test gaming here in a sec

This is what I don't get. I don't understand why everyone is going gaga over a product that is basically an optimized Vista kernel.

While I think we've both said this before, I agree - it's fair enough to say that you prefer Windows 7 to Vista because it has improvements, but the level of enthusiasm is hard to comprehend when compared to Vista's reception.

Yeah, that's a better way of wording my point. I am not surprised that Windows 7 is being well received, because it is built off of what I feel is a very good product already, in Vista. I'm just surprised at the fact so many people are acting like Windows 7 cures cancer and world hunger. We aren't talking about the difference between Windows ME and Windows XP here. Or even the difference of NT 4.0 to Windows 2000, where we were given business features WITH plug and play and multimedia options.

This is what I don't get. I don't understand why everyone is going gaga over a product that is basically an optimized Vista kernel. While I certainly see promise in Windows 7 and will be upgrading to it upon its release, I don't understand why, aside from the FUD marketing, why people are so eager to run away from Vista.

I picked up Vista and it never agreed with my system. It was slow and unresponsive, taking upwards of 10 seconds just to display a right click menu. File transfer times were incredibly slow, we're talking 1-2mb/sec on sata drives and USB speeds of less than 10kb/sec. Thats barely dial up speed. My sound and gfx cards crashed often even with the latest drivers. Updates and reformats did nothing to help. I was probably just an isolated case but its as if my PC went into anaphylactic shock everytime i booted into Vista. Waste of money for me. So i stuck with XP.

However Windows 7 runs like a dream. It has a few annoying bugs as with all betas, such as file associations resetting, and features enabling themselves even if i turn them off, such as that pain in the ass Aero Snap, but i will definitely be picking this up when its released. Love it.

Yeah, that's a better way of wording my point. I am not surprised that Windows 7 is being well received, because it is built off of what I feel is a very good product already, in Vista. I'm just surprised at the fact so many people are acting like Windows 7 cures cancer and world hunger. We aren't talking about the difference between Windows ME and Windows XP here. Or even the difference of NT 4.0 to Windows 2000, where we were given business features WITH plug and play and multimedia options.

As I said I see your point. But don't think that 7's reception was not well planned. Think about it, against the drop of Apple's success with iPod's and iPhone's and those Mac commercials, Linux having a big share of the fastest growing segment in PC's, the netbook, Microsoft had to be thinking "Windows 7 (codename at the time) needs to to be a grand slam"

So the perception of Windows 7 is as much as its reality and while that sounds like a slam its not. Marketing and perception are probably more important than technology overall. The changes in 7 were no doubt designed to emote the response that its getting.

Microsoft needs a little love these days!:)

I picked up Vista and it never agreed with my system. It was slow and unresponsive, taking upwards of 10 seconds just to display a right click menu. File transfer times were incredibly slow, we're talking 1-2mb/sec on sata drives and USB speeds of less than 10kb/sec. Thats barely dial up speed. My sound and gfx cards crashed often even with the latest drivers. Updates and reformats did nothing to help. I was probably just an isolated case but its as if my PC went into anaphylactic shock everytime i booted into Vista. Waste of money for me. So i stuck with XP.

However Windows 7 runs like a dream. It has a few annoying bugs as with all betas, such as file associations resetting, and features enabling themselves even if i turn them off, such as that pain in the ass Aero Snap, but i will definitely be picking this up when its released. Love it.

You don't like Areo Snap and Peek? Those are actually two things that I love about 7. Snap isn't all that great on small screen but on a big screen its VERY handy.

It is not that Vista sucks, it is a great OS. It is just that Win7 beta has so many optimizations, it makes going back...difficult.

Let's see here. Win7 loads way faster, which is a huge plus on my laptop, Some things have been improved, the network center specifically. Just the overall perfomance and the location of items makes it a better OS. I didn't even mention the awesome toolbar.....

You don't like Areo Snap and Peek? Those are actually two things that I love about 7. Snap isn't all that great on small screen but on a big screen its VERY handy.

I like Aero Peek. Not got a problem with that and find it useful, but i move windows around a lot and having them go fullscreen when i'm trying to move them out the way is really annoying for me. :)

I like Aero Peek. Not got a problem with that and find it useful, but i move windows around a lot and having them go fullscreen when i'm trying to move them out the way is really annoying for me. :)

Okay something is not right. While dragging a window nothing should be happening until you actually release the drag. As you move around with Aero Snap you'll get the visual cues that will show you where the window will go, but NOTHING happens to the window itself until the drag is released. So even if you get the cues, the windows won't go full screen or snap to the sides until you release the drag.

Is that what is happening to you and you don't like the visual cues?

^^^Very much this.

I've been running the same Vista install for about 6 months, I've got everything just the way I like it, and it has self-optimized very nicely. I have nothing against 7, but from what I've seen (I use it on a test box at work) it offers very little to people who are happy with Vista. A new taskbar (meh), a few GUI tweaks here and there, a slightly smaller memory footprint (~200 MB, maybe 300 tops) and a much smaller install footprint (this is one of the nicest things IMO but hardly a deal-breaker for Vista unless you're running an SSD or are really cramped for space in general).

^^^Very much this.

I've been running the same Vista install for about 6 months, I've got everything just the way I like it, and it has self-optimized very nicely. I have nothing against 7, but from what I've seen (I use it on a test box at work) it offers very little to people who are happy with Vista. A new taskbar (meh), a few GUI tweaks here and there, a slightly smaller memory footprint (~200 MB, maybe 300 tops) and a much smaller install footprint (this is one of the nicest things IMO but hardly a deal-breaker for Vista unless you're running an SSD or are really cramped for space in general).

On the surface yeah you only see the GUI, I'll say it again, there are TONS of little things that are different. But don't underestimate the peformance gains that people are seeing. This was CRITICAL change. While experienced people only see it as an optimization, of all of Vista perceived flaws this was the big one.

I agree that the performance of Vista was underrated, it's not that bad especially on newer hardware but the idea of Vista being big and slow just caught on with the general public.

Windows was supposed to be and needed to be a WOW release (if memory serves that was supposed to be Vista catch phrase wasn't it?), not a major redesign.

Personally I am delighted with the response so far even though I like Vista, it's absolutely critical for Microsoft to score a decisive win with 7.

the amount of love for W7 is almost as mind boggling as the amount of hate for Vista was. Theres some truth in there somewhere, but its like giant gaggle of raving lunatics switching political parties overnight, for no apparent reason.

I have been running Win7 on a e2180 with 1 gig of RAM and it runs pretty good. This same machine struggled to run Vista64 Ultimate. I enjoy a lot of the other little tweaks in Win7.

does windows 7... resolve VPN, citrix issues and other security issues that prevent most healthcare, government, and business remote organizations function? in vista there are tons of issues with:
cisco vpn ssl
citrix
and special programs that run only in IE6, such as finger print scanners etc...

i been saying this on [h] for weeks... if they don't solve backwards compatibility issues it will die again for failing to run major software that is used in industries not known for spending billions of dollars they do not have in redesigning their software just to work with an o/s. in the real world thats whats keeping people from switching to vista... since when it comes to medicaid, medicare, mds, citrix business apps etc.... gaming on an o/s is their last concern. its compatibility.

as much as the people on [h] have argued that companies need to upgrade their software... the entire health and other industries are not going to spend billions of dollars for a stupid o/s

On the surface yeah you only see the GUI, I'll say it again, there are TONS of little things that are different. But don't underestimate the peformance gains that people are seeing. This was CRITICAL change. While experienced people only see it as an optimization, of all of Vista perceived flaws this was the big one.

I agree that the performance of Vista was underrated, it's not that bad especially on newer hardware but the idea of Vista being big and slow just caught on with the general public.

Windows was supposed to be and needed to be a WOW release (if memory serves that was supposed to be Vista catch phrase wasn't it?), not a major redesign.

Personally I am delighted with the response so far even though I like Vista, it's absolutely critical for Microsoft to score a decisive win with 7.

Well I'm not disagreeing with you. And I'm glad that 7 is getting so much love from the press and unwashed masses, but when people who should know better go on about how great it is, that's when I get confused.

Well I'm not disagreeing with you. And I'm glad that 7 is getting so much love from the press and unwashed masses, but when people who should know better go on about how great it is, that's when I get confused.

After having used it for a while and being a Vista early adopter, I see both sides. Sure, basically its Vista, but its faster overall, I love the task bar, the tablet features are much improved, I love libraries, I like the Aero enhancements, etc.. There's a lot more to this release an Vista R2 and yes I would rather much be running this than Vista, assuming the bugs are straightened out.

The thing is that if you were an early adopter of XP, nearly identical issues as Vista were obvious. The difference, I think, is that when Vista debuted cpu's and memory and HDs were still at least 2x the price they are now and significantly less powerful/capacity.

What would have passed for extremely high end computing when XP launched are now basic Dell/e-machines. Go back to a single gig of ram and a pentium proc and try and run XP and explain how robust and speedy it is compared to Vista. What people are experiencing with Win7 is a mature OS...just like they would experience if they tried Vista today on current hardware. Yes, Win7 loads its drivers in parallel, but I don't turn my computers off very often anyway so boot time is negligible. XP when it launched, in contrast, was unstable and required the old reboot, reformat, restore system maintenance cycle us longtooths had come to expect from MS. By the time XP matured, and the same pattern for Vista, users experiences had become dramatically better.

I'm glad people are so psyched about Win7. I hope they quit regurgitating what they heard about Vista pre-SP1 once they learn the reason Win7 is so robust is because it's Vista2.0

Back