Novice needs a little advice on formatting/raid0

Xantac

n00b
Yea im getting 2 caviar black 1Tb drives in a few days and what's the best method to format a drive properly , Ill have a drive with an operating system on my current pc so I can do it in windows that way. thanks ahead of time , is raid 0 pretty simple I have a rIve mobo

After physically plugging the drives in, the next thing you are going to want to do is enter the BIOS and change your SATA controller setting to RAID. Then after a reboot, (and assuming you are using an Intel chipset) you will be able to enter the RAID configuration utility by pressing CTRL+I when prompted to do so. It'll come up on the screen after the initial screen which you can enter the BIOS but before the Windows start screen.

Within the RAID configuration you will be able to select the drives and configure them into a RAID array. It's very easy and self explanatory. For RAID 0, just select striping, and leave the stripe size at default. Once you have your array set, then you can boot into windows normally. Windows will then see the RAID array as a single drive, which you can format just like any other drive through the windows disk manager.

Last edited:
Back