November 2 webinar for OEM and retail partners on AMD Ryzen processors for Mobile

301ivxl.png

AMD has been destroyed for the most part in the mobile market competing against both Intel and Nvidia. Hopefully the upcoming APU and Ryzen mobile orientated CPUs do well. Also probably very prudent if AMD works with Nvidia to get good Ryzen/GPU configurations options. I just don't see Vega, other than Vega in the APU doing well on the mobile platform.

AMD has been destroyed for the most part in the mobile market competing against both Intel and Nvidia. Hopefully the upcoming APU and Ryzen mobile orientated CPUs do well. Also probably very prudent if AMD works with Nvidia to get good Ryzen/GPU configurations options. I just don't see Vega, other than Vega in the APU doing well on the mobile platform.

Until recently, AMD has been chasing performance at all cost.

Heat/power consumption didn't matter (Hello, FX-9590!).

Maybe that's that okay for desktop, but it made AMD uncompetitive in the mobile market.

We have already seen how efficient Zen is on the desktop, so we will see how it transfers to mobile.

And despite how awful Vega is, it's probably fine for iGPU and is probably still well ahead of Iris Graphics.

If it isn't, RTG might as well disband.

I also agree that AMD should work with NVIDIA to get some laptop configurations with Zen processors and NVIDIA graphics.

NVIDIA probably have to implement NVIDIA Optimus for graphic switching.

I think Vega should be at Maxwell levels of performance per watt in mobile. Definitely no slouch, but you would need a substantially higher wattage to match the 10 series pascal parts in mobile...

I think Vega should be at Maxwell levels of performance per watt in mobile. Definitely no slouch, but you would need a substantially higher wattage to match the 10 series pascal parts in mobile...

The question is: Why would OEMs choose products like that?

Suppose it performs like a Geforce GTX 1060, but consumes as much power as a Geforce GTX 1070, why would an OEM put that in its laptops?

Last edited:
Vega 11 maybe more power efficient, we just have to see if that is the case.

Until recently, AMD has been chasing performance at all cost.

Heat/power consumption didn't matter (Hello, FX-9590!).

Maybe that's that okay for desktop, but it made AMD uncompetitive in the mobile market.

We have already seen how efficient Zen is on the desktop, so we will see how it transfers to mobile.

And despite how awful Vega is, it's probably fine for iGPU and is probably still well ahead of Iris Graphics.

If it isn't, RTG might as well disband.

I also agree that AMD should work with NVIDIA to get some laptop configurations with Zen processors and NVIDIA graphics.

NVIDIA probably have to implement NVIDIA Optimus for graphic switching.
Actually AMDs Carrizo was quite competitive from a CPU standpoint only OEMS implementation neutered them so making asinine statements using OCed parts as reference is a disservice, and devoid of the total landscape as Intels higher core counts easily used far more power than even the 9590 when both OCed to the max.

Back