Novarad OpenSight Augmented Reality System Receives FDA Approval for Medical Use

cageymaru

Fully [H]
The Novarad OpenSight Augmented Reality System has been granted FDA approval for medical use in pre-operative surgical planning. This is the first time that the FDA has issued a 510(k) clearance for a medical device using Microsoft HoloLens technology. The OpenSight AR System renders 2D, 3D, and 4D images of patients interactively while accurately overlaying the images directly over the patient's body. This allows the doctor to see the patient and inside the patient simultaneously to accurately plan surgeries. The system comes equipped with tools to mark areas to avoid and eliminates the disorientation of virtual reality. Multiple headsets can be shared among medical students to facilitate training sessions and virtual dissections can be performed on cadavers.

"This is transformative technology that will unite preoperative imaging with augmented reality to improve the precision, speed and safety of medical procedures," stated Dr. Wendell Gibby, Novarad CEO and co-creator of OpenSight. "This internal visualization can now be achieved without the surgeon ever making an incision, improving outcomes in a world of more precise medicine."

I can see this tech being extremely helpful paired with MRI data on the patient this way they get to see the exact results placed on the patient. There is a lot of room for improvement but tons of potential.

I can see this tech being extremely helpful paired with MRI data on the patient this way they get to see the exact results placed on the patient. There is a lot of room for improvement but tons of potential.

yep. I easily see this as one of the really fantastic uses of AR

All I have to say is that those Augmented Reality overlays better be dead on accurate and that's no joke.

Back