Novaform Queen Mattress $399 Costco

WaTaGuMp

Gawd
These were on sale for that price in Oct. The deal is back on, I only saw them in store for this price, so YMMV.

Anyone have any experience with these things? I've got a kingsdown mattress that I paid way too much for 3 years ago. The deal is coming out to check it "for manufacturers defects" today because it's falling apart. Good timing for me if these things are any good!

I did a quick review search on google and they seem fair, but I'd love to hear from someone who actually has one.

Anyone have any experience with these things? I've got a kingsdown mattress that I paid way too much for 3 years ago. The deal is coming out to check it "for manufacturers defects" today because it's falling apart. Good timing for me if these things are any good!

I did a quick review search on google and they seem fair, but I'd love to hear from someone who actually has one.

Some, IMO, good info in the thread over at Anandtech Forums.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2342021

I don't consider myself a mattress aficionado, but I've had one of these for a little over half a year and have been happy with mine.Any time I've had issues sleeping it's typically been from other issues such as pain from an injury or being sick.

I had one in college, it was great. Only reason I got rid of it was when I upgraded to a King.

I'm (currently) in L.A. also. I bought a queen 10" memory foam mattress from a wholesaler-type spot near City of Industry for $200 a few years ago. Still using the mattress and it's still fantastic. I've slept on a legit Tempurpedic while staying with family as well, I really didn't notice much difference. I'm sure this is probably a great deal for people who aren't in a major city.

without a boxspring isnt that good of a deal imo. That said I'm really not a fan of memory foam as they have a much higher return/warranty exchange rate (I say this as a prior mattress salesman)

Cthulu, as someone who just bought a house, this price point seemed good as a spare bedroom mattress. What would you recommend for a similar price?

without a boxspring isnt that good of a deal imo. That said I'm really not a fan of memory foam as they have a much higher return/warranty exchange rate (I say this as a prior mattress salesman)

This is the lowest price it ever sells for, so I guess good deal is a matter of opinion.

Thanks. Ill try to find it in store to lay on it. Costco return policy makes this great.

Yeah but good luck getting it back in the box :D Seriously have look at them, they come in these tiny little boxes that fit in most trunks no problem, but once you pop those plastic straps it expands into a full sized mattress

Yeah but good luck getting it back in the box :D Seriously have look at them, they come in these tiny little boxes that fit in most trunks no problem, but once you pop those plastic straps it expands into a full sized mattress

I doubt you have to put it back in the box to return it. I hope the smiley face means you were kidding.

You should not use a box spring with a foam mattress. Needs a platform

Cthulu, as someone who just bought a house, this price point seemed good as a spare bedroom mattress. What would you recommend for a similar price?
My take is beauty rest tends to be the best bang for your buck. Model names differ by store (a scam they pull to make price comparison difficult), but you should be able to find a decent quality one (be sure to get one with pocketed coils) for ~600ish for a queen set, mattress alone might be 450. I'd check places like sears, macys, orthopedic, etc to see what they offer in that regard.

Also, although I have no personal experience with this brand. I have heard good things about this.
As I said before, as a salesperson, unless you buy the REALLY high end stuff (which would net me a nice comm. ;) ) I would steer people away from mem foam because they tend to have a "sinking" effect where people get bogged down overnight. They tend to test better on floors from the initial comfort factor, but fare lower on satisfaction rates after breaking them in.

I bought one of these the last time they were on sale so i been using it for a few months now. It took me a few nights of getting used to but now it seems pretty great. The foam is pretty stiff so you wont really sink into it. It can be a little harder to sleep on if you are a side sleeper because it just doesn't push in that much. Overall I am happy with it and never even considered returning it but hey, its costco so you can if you need to

I bought one of these for a spare bedroom and to be honest, the deal can't be beat. It sure as hell was a much much better deal than my temperpedic I bought nearly 8 years ago.

My father in law picked one up at Costco years ago and has enjoyed it. My wife and I slept on it for years before upgrading to a cal king. Really the only complaints I've seen with memory foam is some people feel they get hotter laying on it in the summer then standard mattress. We sleep with a portable AC unit on in the room so we never noticed any difference.

My father in law picked one up at Costco years ago and has enjoyed it. My wife and I slept on it for years before upgrading to a cal king. Really the only complaints I've seen with memory foam is some people feel they get hotter laying on it in the summer then standard mattress. We sleep with a portable AC unit on in the room so we never noticed any difference.
Its not a feeling, its an observed fact. Memory foam by design does not breath, and so it will hold in your body warmth. Lighter density memory foam will also allow your body to "sink" in more, which removes the airflow from even more of your body that is in contact with the surface (which is what makes it more comfortable though, since your weight is spread out so evenly).

Memory foam is also temperature sensitive. I am a cheap ass, so in the summer my AC is set to 77oF and in the winter its set to 64oF, and you will notice that all memory foam becomes very soft when warm and becomes almost like a brick when cold.

This is why on reviews you can have some people saying "oooh this is too soft" and "OMG this is waayyy too hard" and more than just a difference in preference, its usually a difference between how hot or cold someone sets their climate control in their room.

You don't use a boxspring with a memory foam mattress.

platform* I just default to boxspring because people get what you mean when you say that, but "platform" could mean a lot of things

Also as for the comments above, yes the common complaint is that memory foam is too hot. Some of the higher end beds will have phase change gels that act as a thermal mediator, but under say a grand, you are not going to be so lucky. That coupled with the sinking effect is why I would always steer people in the "budget" or even "mid tier" price range to pocketed coil mattresses because people tend to like them much better.

Is this the softest deal ever on [H]ard|Forum? OK, I'll go back to my day job. :eek:

I spoke to John over at Costco, he is one of the people I know that works there. He said people return mattresses all the time, they can be taken back within reason, time wise, is what he said. Didn't give me any specific time frame. They have large plastic bags they give you when you return them. You can put it in the bag at the store, they do it for sanitation reasons, you do not have to put the memory foam mattresses back in the box.

ya you just put it on the floor right?! hahahah.. i use one with this very bed so im not on the floor like savage.

Floor or platform. You can easily build your own with plywood cut to fit into a regular frame if you are so inclined.

Is there a time limit on this deal? I won't be around a Costco for another week or so, and have to use the in laws membership to get in -.-

Is there a time limit on this deal? I won't be around a Costco for another week or so, and have to use the in laws membership to get in -.-

The current deals end tomorrow, not sure if this will affect them being sold in store.

These are higher end quality memory foam. Not too soft and mushy like some.

Odd.. I purchased a Tempurpedic maybe 15 years ago and it came with a Tempurpedic boxspring.. although now that I think about it, I don't think it has any springs, but they did call it a boxspring.

It's true though, during hotter weather, you will 'sink' in more than during colder weather, so don't expect the same type of sleep conditions throughout the year.

I will say though, foam mattresses definitely take some getting used to... so try it out and make sure it's for you.

That said, I've since switched back to traditional mattresses. Currently using a Beautyrest Black. Laying on either mattress feels great, but sleeping on the Beautyrest Black was much better for me.

ya you just put it on the floor right?! hahahah.. i use one with this very bed so im not on the floor like savage.
No, you never put a mattress on the floor. You elevate it for insects, so moisture doesn't build up under the bed in the carpet, and general ventilation. Doesn't have to be high, but you should use a platform bed with at least a small gap off the floor.

You can still use a box spring if you want too, just grab appropriate size particle board from HD/Lowes and put it on top of the box; you're just supposed to make sure the foam has support.

Odd.. I purchased a Tempurpedic maybe 15 years ago and it came with a Tempurpedic boxspring.. although now that I think about it, I don't think it has any springs, but they did call it a boxspring.

It's true though, during hotter weather, you will 'sink' in more than during colder weather, so don't expect the same type of sleep conditions throughout the year..

Memory Foam has come a long way in the past few years. I had some older toppers that got rock hard in the winter, and were very warm (didn't let your body heat escape).

Newer mattresses have gel in them. It helps the heat to dissipate. I have the novafoam topper from Costco from the last time it went on sale, and I've been very pleased with it. So far, it hasn't felt like a rock in cold weather, nor has it been too hot for me to sleep in (unlike my previous toppers).

Back