Nova Launcher 7

Mad Maxx

Supreme [H]ardness
Today, I noticed a banner on my home screen that I've never seen before. It was blue and said "What's new with Nova 7?" I tapped it and saw this...

Screenshot_20210908-114421.png

Still going through it. Looks like a pretty substantial update to the Gold Standard of Android launchers. đź‘Ť

Nova 7
Version 7.0.47
September 7, 2021
Visual refresh - Rebased on the latest AOSP launcher code and updated Nova specific code to match the latest animation and visual styles
Weather icon in search bar (Nova Settings > Search > Desktop Search Bar > Weather)
Swipe down action on icons (Requires Prime)
Enhanced Nova Search
Reshape themed icons and toggle reshaping per icon
Option for Android for Work apps in their own tab
Custom Widget Corner Radius

Last edited:
Hmm. Haven't used Nova in years. Looks like my license is still valid. Will have to try this new version out. Stock on pixel has treated me well. Haven't used Nova since. Maybe just maybe , 🤔

(y) When you create a backup of your Nova Launcher settings, your natural inclination is to go to Settings > Backup & restore - and from there you will probably select "Backup". Sounds okay and it is okay, but be aware that when you select "Backup", your backup will by default be saved locally on your device. If you ever need to perform a factory reset you are going to lose the backup you created.

My preference is to store my backup at a location not on my device. To do this go to Settings > Backup & restore - and from there select "Share Backup", and save your backup on Google Drive. I created a destination folder on Google Drive that I labeled "Nova Launcher Backup". From that point on Nova will automatically go to that folder whenever you want to "Restore backup".

There are a few guides on the web showing in detail how and why you should this. Gadget Hacks published one of the better ones.

1.jpg

Last edited:
This update fucked up the size of half my app icons.
Didn't affect mine at all, after the update they were the same size. Did you make a backup while you were running the prior version of Nova? If so, perform a restore, the update will honor it.

Last edited:
Didn't affect mine at all, after the update they were the same size. Did you make a backup while you were running the prior version of Nova? If so, perform a restore, the update will honor it.

No I didn't make a backup.
I was running Android 8 with the classic icons selected and the icon size boosted to 140%.

I've been running the beta for Nova 7 for a while. It's snappy and really does make most other phones feel like a Pixel. Especially if you take the time to hide all of the bloatware and take advantage of the Pixel widgets. That said, I don't know why most Pixel owners would run it unless you're looking to do something very specific (increase icon size and such). It's a lifesaver for a Samsung, though.

The only issue I've had has actually been a bug for a while. For some reason, icons in very large folders (30+ apps) can show up blank. Particularly the last few. It's a known issue and I've reported it, but it seems like it's a tough fix.

ZodaEX, try this and see if it resolves your app icon sizing issue.
Nova Settings > tap App drawer > tap Icon layout > Place a check mark in the Match desktop size check box. Back out of Nova Settings to save your change.

If that didn't work try this: Make a backup of your present Nova setup, then perform a Restore backup using the backup you just created. On the surface it looks non sensical. But it may possibly make Nova refresh your app drawer icons correctly.

Back