Nothing on the screen

Astra

Limp Gawd
Hi guys.

A friend of mine brought his pc to me. I built it for him 11 months ago. It worked all that time without a fault. A few days ago he switches his pc on, power and harddrive leds come on, dvd-rw led blinks once too, led on the monitor turns green ...for 5 seconds, then monitor goes back to standby. Pc doesn't continue to boot. I do not hear harddrives to spin or anything. All fans inside keep on running. Led indicator near RAM slots, is on.

I have no clue what's up with the old horse.

I got another PSU, connected it only to motherboard. the same picture. No beeps for missing floppies, or bad RAM or bad Video. No signal on monitor except that the led turns green for a couple of seconds.

With the psu which is inside the case, I disconnected everything except RAM. Nothing new.
I swapped RAM slots, put it into new slots, try to do with one stick, then with another. Nothing new.

First of all, I took off the Video, expecting motherboard to beep, Nothing.

I suspect something terrible happened to motherboard, or CPU.
Maybe something else. I don't know.

It is P4, 2.4GH with HP, 2x256 crucial, Gigabyte GA-8IK1100, chipset Intel 875P, 2 HD - 1200JB and 800JB, DVD-RW LG 4040B. Antec case and PSU 350W true power. on board Audio. Video - Geforce 5600 128M MSI.

Any idea?

could be videocard or motherboard, try resetting the cmos on the mobo, try a new video card, its not making post so trying the former might work.

Take out the ram, but leave everything else in. If the processor is working it will beep. If it doesn't try another cpu in the mobo or try that cpu in another mobo.

Qwertyman said:
could be videocard or motherboard, try resetting the cmos on the mobo, try a new video card, its not making post so trying the former might work.

if resetting CMOS won't do anything, try booting without the CPU inserted - if you don't get any beed that will mean there's something wrong with the mobo..

Thanks a lot for the advices!
I will look into the PC Tue/Wen coming week.
I will let you know what I figured out.

I think that it is a mobo. I removed CPU completely, it would not light caplocks on the keyboard or beep anyway. I would not beep if RAM is removed either. Video card works fine in another PC.

I resetted CMOS, by clear password jumper and by removing a battery for a minute. Didn't help. It simply refuses to bypass POST. Video card is working in another PC.
I will have to send the mobo back to the site where it was bought 11 months ago.

The only thing that I found to be odd, is that when I removed the CPU, it was not glued to heat sink. Both surfaces were completely dry. I do remember when I built the system, the heat sink had some sticky material at the location that is contacting with the CPU.

Back