Nothing between a Geforce GTX 560 and 570? Really??

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
As above.

Looking at the specs and details of the two cards, it's just...weird.

Geforce GTX 560 = $250
Geforce GTX 570 = $350
($100 difference with nothing in that slot?!)

Geforce GTX 560 = 30a on +12v
Geforce GTX 570 = 38a on +12v
(my PSU does 34a on +12v, so...shouldn't use the 570, but the 560 isn't maxing out what my PSU is designed to handle...)

Looking at pretty much any of the metrics - shader cores, etc - seems there is a pretty big gap there.

Am I missing something?

No, however some would say the GTX 560 Ti 2GB is a nice fillgap there. A little more than the regular GTX 560 Ti but the extra Vram can help especially in surround scenarios

No, however some would say the GTX 560 Ti 2GB is a nice fillgap there. A little more than the regular GTX 560 Ti but the extra Vram can help especially in surround scenarios

I'd agree with that, but does this card exist from any of the mainstream manufacturers? Newegg doesn't seem to have any.

Keep an eye out for the gtx 570 prices. I got an msi oced one over a month ago for $293 after rebate with 2 games and a 16gig thumb drive. I thought it was a darn good deal and worth it over a 560.

Keep an eye out for the gtx 570 prices. I got an msi oced one over a month ago for $293 after rebate with 2 games and a 16gig thumb drive. I thought it was a darn good deal and worth it over a 560.

I've got a decent PSU, but I dunno if I'd want to put a 570 on it (calls for more amps on my +12v than I've got!)

I've got a decent PSU, but I dunno if I'd want to put a 570 on it (calls for more amps on my +12v than I've got!)

I forgot about that part and I don't think I would risk that either if you have no intention of getting a new psu.

I forgot about that part and I don't think I would risk that either if you have no intention of getting a new psu.

Just bought this one, and I don't think I really want to go high enough level GPU that I'd need a new PSU.

Still, I've got wiggle room even over the 560 Ti. That's kinda what I was getting at, I guess - $250 with 30a requirement for the 560 Ti, $350 with 38a requirement for the 570. Seems a 565 could sit between those points easily enough at $300, pulling 34a.

you need to list ALL of your specs in detail because the video card is only ONE part that the psu needs to power. not to mention you did not even say what psu that you actually have. you should know all this after nearly 10 years on a tech forum.

Last edited:
And you don't really want to "max out" your PSU ... headroom is good

wow thats a lot of stuff in there, lol. you might want to consider the 6950 since it uses less power than the 560 and is a wee bit faster. and what res are you playing at?

Well, it depends on the game. The 560 and 6950 are crazy in benchmarks - even on [H]. In some games, one card is 10% faster than the other, in other games it's reversed.

As it happens, the three NEW games I'll probably see myself playing this year are:
  • IL2: Cliffs of Dover (which supposedly favors nVidia hardware...who knows about performance, but Radeon users have some annoying bugs)
  • Deus Ex 3 (appears to favor Radeons)
  • Skyrim (who knows!)

Otherwise, that and TF2 would be about it for me for the year.

Gaming resolution is 1920 x 1200 with at least 4xAA. Apparently, 'Cliffs of Dover' wants a Geforce 570 or so for that, but it's also still more-or-less in beta (it's released, but...still in beta. So it goes with flight sims.), so I'm thinking the released version of the game should be considerably better in that regard.

Radeon 6950 might be a better choice for you if you want peformance in between the 560 and the 570. The 2GB reference version can even unlock to a 6970.

Radeon 6950 might be a better choice for you if you want peformance in between the 560 and the 570. The 2GB reference version can even unlock to a 6970.
unlocking it to the 6970 and ocing it would really push his psu hard which is what he is trying to avoid. plus I believe the ability to unlock is not as likely as it was because the cards are being changed a bit.

unlocking it to the 6970 and ocing it would really push his psu hard which is what he is trying to avoid. plus I believe the ability to unlock is not as likely as it was because the cards are being changed a bit.

Let me clarify that you need the reference model 6950 2GB to unlock. The newer 6950s that are non-reference, ie using cheaper parts and design, will lack the ability to unlock. And any video card that is overclocked might push his older 500W PSU over the edge. That's why new video card upgrades should usually be accompanied by a PSU upgrade.

In any case, given his stated budget of $150-200 the 6950 is probably out of range.
The 6870 or the GTX 460 1GB is probably more in his wheelhouse if he wants to spend less.

Last edited:
In any case, given his stated budget of $150-200 the 6950 is probably out of range.
The 6870 or the GTX 460 1GB is probably more in his wheelhouse if he wants to spend less.

Eh? What? I didn't say anything about a budget?

I was actually thinking about $250-$300, which is why a 565 would be nice.

Last edited:
Back