Notebook hard drive died I think, what should I do now?

zerokarma

n00b
I have a Toshiba Satellite 4060XCDT notebook(P2 333, yes it is older now but it still works decently) and yesterday while using it all of a suddenly everything starts freezing and then the bluescreen of death appears and the notebook restarts automatically.

Now it hangs for a while when booting and then eventually saying to insert a system disk.

When I go into the BIOS it does not detect a hard drive. In this bios there is no option for auto detect or anything like that. Just doesn't show any hard drive.

If I boot with a floppy I cannot change to drive C:

I am not sure how to proceed with this. If the bios isn't picking it up then I am assuming the hard drive or controller is dead. I am also not sure how to get to the hard drive, there is no easy access to it, everything else can be accessed easily but the hard drive is in corner with no direct access to it, I am assuming they never really meant for people to get access to it.

The hard drive is a 6gig drive.

Should I try to get the hard drive out and test it at my work? or is there anything else I could try?

The laptop is still in good condition, nothing else wrong except the hard drive now.

Your laptop will only take a 6gig and nothing bigger so dont go out and buy a bigger drive. You should be able to open the drive easy.

Back