Note 3 vs LG G3

squad

Gawd
Which phone should I get if i could get it for the same price? Need a new phone for work and need help choosing one.

Unless you will use the stylus I would go with the G3. Higher resolution display, faster processor and I like the camera better. Both have 32gb memory, a micro sd slot and removable battery so they are the same there. G3 will fit in a pocket a little easier.

I'd go with the Note 3, I say that because I have one and really love it. But both phones appear to be great.

Slick deals have brand new LG G3 for 369 and I could buy a used MINT condition note 3 for 380. But still clueless lol.

Note 3 because I don't like the buttons on the back of the g3, I think its a terrible design.

Note 3 because I don't like the buttons on the back of the g3, I think its a terrible design.

Ingenious design. Easier to hold phone. Not always hitting the side buttons.
Samsung should take a look at that feature. I no longer change the size of my chats and messages or frig the volume up or down
or try to shut off or reboot. But I could just be impaired in some way. :confused:

Samsung should take a look at that feature. I no longer change the size of my chats and messages or frig the volume up or down
or try to shut off or reboot. But I could just be impaired in some way. :confused:

I found it way harder to hold the phone, I had a g2 for a week and returned it. It was awkward for me to try to hit the buttons. I usually only hold the bottom half a phone so I don't really have problems hitting buttons when I shouldn't, but when you only hold the bottom half its much easier to slide your finger to the top left or right to hit those buttons than to awkwardly adjust it to get to the center back. Maybe it works better if you hold your phone different?

I'm not really sure why having the buttons on the side or on the back really help you then, it seems you should go all soft buttons if you really dislike them that much.

I'm not really sure why having the buttons on the side or on the back really help you then, it seems you should go all soft buttons if you really dislike them that much.

When you say soft do you refer to onscreen or capacitive? I really dislike onscreen buttons, pretty much all the phones have room for them below the screen so it's just wasted screen and wasted bezel doing nothing when you have on screen buttons.

Went from a Note 2 to a Note 4 and absolutely love them both so I'll vote for the Note 3. My Note 2 was still running fine after 2 years and I just upgraded to scratch the new toy itch. They're fantastic phones with great performance. I use mine more like a PC than a phone and couldn't be much happier.

Have an LG3 and I like it as it feels big, but due to curved design and thin bezel it fits nicely into your had despite being 5.5inch. Also a big plus no touch wiz! :)

We went to Verizon from AT&T. ( Her Job.) She went from note 2 to Note 4 and is happy.
I went to the LG G3 and found I missed my Note 2 for about 2 or 3 days then then LG seemed more better.
I never used the Stylus. She does for games. The G3 is Skydragon Romd. I do hold it by the bottom.
Habit from the note 2 dayz. With CM Battery and Power Saving mode I get about the same life,
3 to 4 dayz but I am not a power user either. The buttons were a welcome surprise and I quickly took to them.

Seems like its a you problem, i could see the back buttons being useful while on a call but other than that its weird

I own both. I have used the Note3 exclusively. The g3 display is no where the quality of the N3 IMO. I don't use the stylus though on the N3. I need to sell this G3 some time. Not a bad phone, but not on the same level as the n3. I also can't stand the button being near the camera on the G3.

Yeah, I would take the Note 3. The QHD display on the G3 is more of a con than a pro, IMO. The 801 in the G3 is pretty much the same SoC as the 800 in the Note 3, but it has to push twice the pixels and you can see it stuggles to do so in a lot of graphical/UI heavy instances. But the display itself is pretty mediocre outside of resolution, it's not nearly as bright or accurate as the Note 3 or most other displays in flagship phones in the last year or so.

Thanks guys so much for the help. I've been reading about the G3 having so so battery life due to it's screen. Screen suppose to be 2k but I heard people still liked the 1080p super amoled screen that comes with the note 3. And I kind of want to use my phone as a tablet too and I like to get one that at least 5.3-6 inch.

Thanks again for the help.

If you wait a few more weeks, you might get a deal on used Note 4's, when people will be trading it in for the GS6.

I like the G3's screen. It gets plenty bright, and has accurate color tones. The resolution is a gimmick I will give you that.

I'll chime in. I've used the note 1 to 4, G2 and G3. When my wife shattered her G2, then accidentally ran it over, I gave her my G3 and "upgraded" to a note 4. I do enjoy the 4. It's a nice phone. Good screen and battery. TouchWiz is crap and it's bloated as hell. The G3 has just as good battery life and screen. I really can't tell any speed difference between the 2, but the ergonomics of the G3 are lightyear ahead of the note 4. Just way more confortable to use, and I have large hands. The double tap to unlock, super small bezels, back buttons and light skin I miss the most. The note is probably going away in favor of the G4, as long as LG manage to not screw it up.

Tough choice, as I had it narrowed down to the N3 or G3 last October to replace my GS3 because of wanting a reasonably larger screen for work stuff. Ended up going with the G3. Took about a week to get used to the non-TouchWiz interface (and rear buttons), but it's been a relief not having to deal with the bloat and lag from it anymore. The camera produces the absolute best results I've ever seen from a multitude of smartphones...the laser beam focus really does work well. Since I'm a very heavy user (field tech that d/l's service manuals and schematics), I opted for the ZeroLemon 9000 mAH battery. I can typically get 1.5 - 2 days worth of moderate to very heavy use between full charges. Overall, I think I would have been happy with the N3 as well, but the G3 was less of a hit at the checkout register..so it was a win-win.

Go mess around with both (if you can) and compare features that you actually/realistically will use/want.

I'll chime in. I've used the note 1 to 4, G2 and G3. When my wife shattered her G2, then accidentally ran it over, I gave her my G3 and "upgraded" to a note 4. I do enjoy the 4. It's a nice phone. Good screen and battery. TouchWiz is crap and it's bloated as hell. The G3 has just as good battery life and screen. I really can't tell any speed difference between the 2, but the ergonomics of the G3 are lightyear ahead of the note 4. Just way more confortable to use, and I have large hands. The double tap to unlock, super small bezels, back buttons and light skin I miss the most. The note is probably going away in favor of the G4, as long as LG manage to not screw it up.

OMG poor phone lol but yeah G3 does feel like it has a better feel/hold with the phone. What do you think of the LG software? It's not as bloated like the touchwiz? Thanks.

OMG poor phone lol but yeah G3 does feel like it has a better feel/hold with the phone. What do you think of the LG software? It's not as bloated like the touchwiz? Thanks.

Lgs skin is very light. Think in between motos recent phones and htc sense. Thats where i would put it. I enjoy it where i have not had the need to root or install a custom rom

Lgs skin is very light. Think in between motos recent phones and htc sense. Thats where i would put it. I enjoy it where i have not had the need to root or install a custom rom

That is a perfect description for the G3 skin: right between newer Moto (pure android) and HTC Sense.

Last edited:
If you want the latest and greatest Android, go with the Galaxy Note 4. Otherwise, the LG G3 is a great phone.

Between the Note 3 and the LG G3, I would definitely go with the G3 unless you absolutely need the S-Pen for work.

Btw the standard LG G3 is 16GB with 2gb of ram. The LG D855 models are the ones with 3gb of ram and 32GB internal storage, other then that it's the same. Unless you're buying the newer revised D855 versions from Korea which have the new processor and gpu.

I own the G3 (D855), N3, S5 and N4. The Samsung's to me feel like a flimsy piece of shit, the G3 has a bit more premium feel to it but not to the extent of the HTC M8 or the new Nexus by Motorola. This is one area Samsung needs to improve somewhat on there mid range phones. I would pick the G3 over the S5, N3 anyday of the week and would only pick a N4 over it if I was using the stylus. Will be getting a new S6 or Galaxy Edge soon (which feels more premium to the other Sammy's) so should be fun.

I love my G3. The back buttons were different at first, but after a few days they felt natural. I love the phone and they way it feels in my hand. :)

Yeah same for me, no accidental hitting on the side buttons. Btw I just found out the LG G3 has a built-in infra-red sensor and an app called quick remote, no longer need universal remotes.

The d851 for tmobile is 3GB, 32GB storage as well

Indeed, this is the phone I have.

Samsung has this as well. They have prebuilt in support for many different products.

Yeah, my S4 did this but I did not use the functionality much. The app always seemed kind of clunky to me. I haven't tried this feature on my G3 though so I can't really compare the two yet.

Until yesterday, I would advise Samsung products for mobiles, never have had a problem from a Samsung Blackjack, to an SII, to a Note 3, to a Note 4...and then the story changes with a Gear S, their newest smartwatch.

I'll spare the details to avoid a thread hijack, but due to a poor design choice, I now have to use external forces to keep the battery pack on to charge the phone, and Samsung refuses to honor any kind of warranty on it since it is "physical damage"...that many other users have experienced through normal use of the device.

So...never a Samsung product for me again, I don't like getting screwed by a "warranty".

I'm in the same boat right now. I've been trying to hold off for the G4 to come out so the G3 prices crash but it's taking a while

You'd be looking into Q3 possibly Q4 if you're waiting for the G4 to come out. The G3 is still selling shit hot here so LG is taking there time to come out with a new flagship.

Definitely the LG G3. It's newer, faster and has better build quality.

If its the Note 4 vs LG G3 I would definitely say the Note 4.

I've repaired many cell phones. I see Samsung phones all the time. They have piss poor build quality. I've seen brand new Samsung with all kinds of problems, and their parts are stupidly expensive. I've seen a few G2s with a slight crack making the digitizer partially inoperable. Of the two, get the G3.

I've repaired many cell phones. I see Samsung phones all the time. They have piss poor build quality. I've seen brand new Samsung with all kinds of problems, and their parts are stupidly expensive. I've seen a few G2s with a slight crack making the digitizer partially inoperable. Of the two, get the G3.
but there's also a lot of Samsung phones out there to be repaired... So how's the repair rate per capita?

That said, the GS6 is working out the kinks right now. So it's probably wise to not be early adopters.

but there's also a lot of Samsung phones out there to be repaired... So how's the repair rate per capita?

That said, the GS6 is working out the kinks right now. So it's probably wise to not be early adopters.

I thought the options here were Note 3 and G3, not S6??

Back