Notch: People Say We Are "Literally Worse Than EA"

HardOCP News

[H] News
How in the world anyone could say Mojang is "literally worse than EA" is beyond me. :(

Someone saw that the EULA says you can’t charge for these things, and asked one of the people working at Mojang about it. That person said that yes, it is indeed against the rules, and then everything exploded. A lot of people got the impression that we’re changing the EULA somehow to only now disallow these things, but they were never allowed. A lot of people voiced their concerns. A few people got nasty. Someone said we’re literally worse than EA.

This is just how people in our society are.

We all have such high expectations that are near impossible to meet and suddenly you're worse than Satan. People have no perspective on things when they judge, yet they love to be arm chair quarterbacks.

I can't think of a worse insult than to be called "worse than EA." Being worse than Comcast or AT&T can't compare with it!

I can't think of a worse insult than to be called "worse than EA." Being worse than Comcast or AT&T can't compare with it!

You combine the worst of EA and the DMV rolled into one? Comcast is pretty bad though.

The best part is that everyone has been breaking the EULA since people started hosting servers. Mojang never enforced it.

They are making changes to the EULA to make it less restrictive so that people hosting servers are not entirely breaking the rules and some of those will fall within the restrictions so that they are not longer breaking the EULA.

But the best part, is no where did Mojang announce that they are going to start strictly enforcing the old or new EULA.

So, in otherwords, continue on, but if you piss us off or we get enough angry parents complaining about a server, we will go after you.

Mojang "We won't release Minecraft on Steam because it's a store"

Exact quote from PC gamer:

"Persson said another reason is due to the sales percentage Valve takes on games sold through the service. So, in other words, Mojang wants to keep every penny and can do so because the firm self-publishes."

-----------1+ year later------------

They then release it on Xbox360, PS3, PS4, Vita, XBOne...all of which only offer walled garden stores, but Minecraft is available on it. My only problem with Notch is his hypocrocy with refusing to sell the game on steam because Valve takes a cut, but has absolutley no problem releasing it on Sony and MS platforms despite them both taking a cut as big or bigger than Valve would.

The Hipocracy disgusts me, but they really should NOT be compared to EA. EA is a heartless corporation that will destroy any studio they look at and run good franchises into the ground.

They then release it on Xbox360, PS3, PS4, Vita, XBOne...all of which only offer walled garden stores, but Minecraft is available on it. My only problem with Notch is his hypocrocy with refusing to sell the game on steam because Valve takes a cut, but has absolutley no problem releasing it on Sony and MS platforms despite them both taking a cut as big or bigger than Valve would.

The Hipocracy disgusts me, but they really should NOT be compared to EA. EA is a heartless corporation that will destroy any studio they look at and run good franchises into the ground.

It is not hypocritical at all. XBOX/PS markets are lost markets if game is not released there - there is no way to release a game for those platforms without the console manufacturer. PC user can buy it directly from the publisher, no need to go through 3rd party store.

Mojang "We won't release Minecraft on Steam because it's a store"

Exact quote from PC gamer:

"Persson said another reason is due to the sales percentage Valve takes on games sold through the service. So, in other words, Mojang wants to keep every penny and can do so because the firm self-publishes."

-----------1+ year later------------

EA turned purchasing successful studios/IP and running them into the ground from a shady business model to a vulgar art form, so I agree that they should not be used as the barometer for this comparison.

The "update" to the EULA seems to make sense at least, though once you go down the road of selective enforcement, it really makes things difficult to litigate.

On pc , he got options on how he sells his games... on playstation network and xboxlive he have to go through sony or microsoft.

On a business side , i would do the same as him and keep 100% of my money for me.

It is not hypocritical at all. XBOX/PS markets are lost markets if game is not released there - there is no way to release a game for those platforms without the console manufacturer. PC user can buy it directly from the publisher, no need to go through 3rd party store.

THIS!

Notch doesn't need steam. Why would notch share with steam if it didn't really help him? I mean, what business sense does that make?

Adolescents play Minecraft. Adolescents lack perspective. Adolescents overreact. I'm sure if you asked 100 of them, "who is worse, Notch or Hitler?" most would say "Notch", followed by "Hitler, he's the one with the funny mustache, right?". Perspective.

On pc , he got options on how he sells his games... on playstation network and xboxlive he have to go through sony or microsoft.

On a business side , i would do the same as him and keep 100% of my money for me.

Sounds like you don't know business at all. What's more: 100% of 50,000 or 70% of 500,000?

You'd keep 100% of zero for all the sales missed on Steam. It's money left on the table for pride and short sightedness, because there's a large group that never purchased minecraft on PC simply because it lacked Steam visibility, and they either weren't aware Mojang had their own store or didn't care because they like all their games in one place.

God bless notch, since he doesn't care about maximizing revenue potential and figures he has enough money. Rare position to be in. Because bottom line there's no reason it couldn't be offered in both places, Steam and his own store

Adolescents play Minecraft. Adolescents lack perspective. Adolescents overreact. I'm sure if you asked 100 of them, "who is worse, Notch or Hitler?" most would say "Notch", followed by "Hitler, he's the one with the funny mustache, right?". Perspective.
Exactly. Each successive generation is more concerned with first-world problems and how they affect them, personally, than the overall big picture.

Exactly. Each successive generation is more concerned with first-world problems and how they affect them, personally, than the overall big picture.

What? Every generation has only been concerned with how stuff affected them. If you think that any were really that concerned with the "overall big picture" then you've been listening to too much "things were better in my day" BS.

Lack of a sense of proportion and/or basic information... on the Internet? What's happened to that?

Adolescents think everything they see is *theirs* for quite adolescent reasons....;) The software is Notch's--not theirs--and like everything else grown up, they'll need to learn how to deal with the principle of "private property," too. It's actually quite consistent of Notch to practically give his software away and then specify that no else can use it for commercial purposes. Adolescents often display a huge sense of entitlement to things they don't own...;) They'll grow out of it. Such remarks are not worth being repeated by Notch--he should simply ignore them.

Sounds like you don't know business at all. What's more: 100% of 50,000 or 70% of 500,000?

errrm, who doesn't know much about business here? Steam is a marketing service for a guy like Notch (Maaaaaybe distribution / server loads) - but nothing more. I think Minecraft does just fine as is on the PC, and doesn't need steam at all. I'd be surprised if he got more than a 1% sales bump from Steam. Seriously, the only people who don't know about minecraft today is old grandmas - and they don't use steam. :D

You'd keep 100% of zero for all the sales missed on Steam. It's money left on the table for pride and short sightedness, because there's a large group that never purchased minecraft on PC simply because it lacked Steam visibility, and they either weren't aware Mojang had their own store or didn't care because they like all their games in one place.

God bless notch, since he doesn't care about maximizing revenue potential and figures he has enough money. Rare position to be in. Because bottom line there's no reason it couldn't be offered in both places, Steam and his own store

This is the correct answer. Besides, the Android version of it is available on the Google Play Store, and like PC, Android software can be installed without the need for a store. So, why doesn't he just sell the APK for Android Minecraft from his site? Steam and Google Play help visibility and is a convenient for end users, a win-win. I still think Notch is being a big hypocrite with not offering his game on Steam, seeing as it's available on the Google PlayStore, seeing as you don't have to sell Android APK's on the store to install them on virtually any android device. Hell, Notch could have opened his own Android store like Amazon did and offer an APK.

He didnt miss a sale because of steam. Minecraft is a goddamn cult. Sorry but i know business. Notch made the right choice . Even if he loss sales at the beginning.

Didn't read the article but Minecraft is terribly optimized.
For the following it has with mods, they could have made an auto installer mechanism after all this time. Seriously, I go to youtube to learn how to install mods sometimes and there are literally hundreds of thousands of views.
Notch likes to complain, this isn't the first time.

Are you serious? You actually think if he put the game on steam it would sell 10x more? You're pretty out of touch with this one...

If some people on [H] had their way, Steam would be a monopoly.

Uplay is terrible and Origin is Satan's baby.
At least that's the way i feel about it. Doesn't mean I wish Steam waa a monopoly though. I still use GOG as well, just depends on the sales.

I want to know what is bad about Origin? I have used it since it made its debut and (it's fine) I have always heard everyone say it was terrible but besides it not being Steam, no one has ever made a case of why they prefer Steam (let a lone what is terrible about Origin).

I want to know what is bad about Origin? I have used it since it made its debut and (it's fine) I have always heard everyone say it was terrible but besides it not being Steam, no one has ever made a case of why they prefer Steam (let a lone what is terrible about Origin).

I've had issues with Cloud saves on it. I use multiple systems and Origin would only download the cloud save after I launched the game, and with games like NFS:Rivals there's an unskippable 30 minute intro-video and tutorial for the game upon initial launch. Sometimes I have to launch the games several times for the cloud save to download. Hell, my Crysis 3 save never downloads so no matter what system I use, I have to start all over with it on any machine I install it on.

I don't have any of these issues with cloud-saves on other services. On PS4, PS3, Vita the cloud saves are instantaneous. And of course Steam's cloud saves are flawless. And, as much hate as UPlay gets, I've been playing AssCreed II across my Media PC and Main and, at least for AssCreed II, the cloud-save is seemless between the two.

The hate for Origin stems mostly from a hate for EA. EA killed the Sim City franchise, Killed Westwood Studios, Destroy's brilliant new IPs like Deadspace by running them into the ground, BioWare is becoming a shadow of it's former self. The make deals with Console makers to dumb down PC versions (30FPS lock on NFS:Rivals, much like Ubisoft Downgrading the Graphics for Watchdogs). EA also rushes games as evidenced by the myriad of issues with BF4.

I don't hate Origin as much as some other people, but I do have problems with it, but I feel most of the hate for the service comes from the hate for EA. The biggest problem with Origin and Uplay is that EA and Ubi don't ever seem to have there servers ready when a big game drops. For example, at launch, SimCity via Origin was unplayable due to EA and just recently Watchdogs was unplayable due to Uplay failing.

Long short, people wouldn't complain about Uplay or Origin as much, if EA and Ubi cared about those services as much as Valve cares about Steam. For EA and Ubi, the PC seems like an afterthought at worse and an escape plan at best(if the console market collapses again).

Have you seen their horsie simulator? EULA aside, even EA wouldn't make that thing... :)

But I don't quite get the love people have for Notch. He's done some admirable things in terms of supporting the EFF and indie gaming, but on the other hand he can come off super douchey, and although I couldn't claim to have ever come up with the Minecraft game, I am astonished that people love it so much. And pay moderate amounts of money to play a game where you have to dig for shit and craft shit you want to use in the game.

I prefer steam because when I launch a game in it (cough::BF3::cough), it doesn't kick me back out to a webpage to view the game-launch and servers, for a game I have installed on my computer. Steam does most things very well within its program, which creates a much more unified and overall better user experience. Origin...I don't have a problem with it in principle, but for EA's own program, their own games don't feel unified within it. So it's a worse user experience.

Tell a kid no, and you're the worst person on earth. Stupid entitled little bitches.

It's Notch's toy, he makes the rules. Don't like them? Don't play.

I prefer steam because when I launch a game in it (cough::BF3::cough), it doesn't kick me back out to a webpage to view the game-launch and servers, for a game I have installed on my computer. Steam does most things very well within its program, which creates a much more unified and overall better user experience. Origin...I don't have a problem with it in principle, but for EA's own program, their own games don't feel unified within it. So it's a worse user experience.

That's not an origin issue that's how bf3 was made. Had it been released on steam you would still have to deal with it.

As for me, the person who wanted to know why everyone hates Origin so much, my only complaint about it is that you are unable to purchase games as a gift (like Steam allows). Short of buying games from Amazon or other retailers, you can not choose to receive codes that you can give away. I have to purchase everything my daughter plays through her account.

And the guy above who says that BF3 and BF4 launching through the browser is the way BF was designed and has nothing to do with Origin is correct. I don't like it because it takes an extra few minutes to jump from one game to another but there is nothing we can do about it. EA did this just to cut down on the time it takes to make the interface.

Comcast is way worse than EA. I can choose not to buy EA products and yet still have games to play. I can't choose to not buy Comcast products and yet still have cable or cable internet.

The lack of Steam support doesn't really bother me. The behavior of the Minecraft installer/launcher is dumb (only installing to the user folder), but its easy to get around that and make it portable with a two-line .bat file.

What is ridiculous is the lack of the long-awaited mod API. They've had it on the todo list since the alpha days. He's got the cash to hire someone who can do it... what's the problem?

Are you serious? You actually think if he put the game on steam it would sell 10x more? You're pretty out of touch with this one...

You're right my estimate is off, it would be more like 100x the sales if he put it on Steam. This really isn't a hardthink concept.

You're right my estimate is off, it would be more like 100x the sales if he put it on Steam. This really isn't a hardthink concept.

Yes. Minecraft would totally sell 1.5 billion copies on PC if it was on Steam. If only Notch would listen to you.

Like I said you're so fucking far out of touch you should just quit...

Back