Notch Buys $70M Beverly Hills Mansion

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hell, if I sold my business to Microsoft for $2.5B, I'd buy a mansion too. Maybe not a $70M dollar mansion though. :eek:

This press release announces the record $70 million sale of a 23,000 square foot Beverly Hills mansion to a "Swedish billionaire and game developer," who turns out to be Minecraft creator Marcus "Notch" Persson. Persson famously came out a couple of billion dollars in the black after selling Mojang to Microsoft in September, and this helps answer the question of what someone does with that kind of money.

Can't say I'd do much different. Probably a much smaller home in a much different location, but I'd take care of myself pretty damn good. Plus, I'd need a place to park the Ferrari! :)

Sell out? Sitting by the pool in a silk robe smoking a Cuban sipping on a nice scotch with a wife with nice fake breasts and a great body? I'd sell out. Oh yes.

I definitely would have chosen a different location. Would get a lot more for the money, almost anywhere else.

Sell out? Sitting by the pool in a silk robe smoking a Cuban sipping on a nice scotch with a wife with nice fake breasts and a great body? I'd sell out. Oh yes.

QFT

really anyone who makes money of success is being labelled as a sellout these days :rolleyes:

I still can't believe MS dished out 2.5B. You could make the biggest budget MMO with that kind of money.

I still can't believe MS dished out 2.5B. You could make the biggest budget MMO with that kind of money.
Minecraft is insanely huge among young kids. I'm pretty sure this is their investment in making sure those kids grow up playing MS games and consoles.

And imagine the utilities!

:p
Paying for upkeep is one thing, having a tax that basically says "you need to pay more for schools just because you bought a big house" is something I'm not a big fan of.

Paying for upkeep is one thing, having a tax that basically says "you need to pay more for schools just because you bought a big house" is something I'm not a big fan of.
It's basically a progressive tax, I don't see the problem.

Hell he could park his money in a stingy savings account and make 10x that in interest. A million is like buying a cheeseburger to him.
True... unless he keeps buying shit (which hell why not, you can't take it with you!) then that interest will get small and smaller...

also a million is like buying a cheeseburger? Assuming an expensive $10 cheeseburger, do you only make $25k a year? Or we going McDonalds? In which case you only make $2500 a year? Don't get me wrong a million dollars might not be much, but if you blow through too many million dollar purchases each year your billions will go away quicker than you think.

I can't help thinking he should have bought the mansion from Brian de Palma's Scarface (last I knew it was still on the market, and at about half what this place cost), but hey. The man could afford to blow three percent of his windfall on the most expensive house sold in one of the most expensive places on Earth; I'm blatantly frigging jealous.

Money... you all can keep it.
It is a means to an end, that is all.

I've seen enough hardship and lives destroyed because of it.
In the end, it all goes away anyways.

ill take any money you dont want.

I don't want paper, gold, silver, or credit.
The only money I'm interesting in, is silicon!

pi.jpg

Money... you all can keep it.
It is a means to an end, that is all.

I've seen enough hardship and lives destroyed because of it.
In the end, it all goes away anyways.
Spoken like someone who has money already.

As a single male with no kids living in Nassau County in Long Island, NY I agree.

He's not any worse than most people, but seriously, it's just sad when this is the best people can come up with to spend large sums of money on. Even the rest of the ideas in this thread is just as bad.

How about trying to accomplish something with all that money now that you've accomplished making a bunch of money?

And who the hell would want to get married after getting rich, no matter what she looks like?!? Great idea, make 2.5billion and then start a down-hill trend immediately afterwards?

He's not any worse than most people, but seriously, it's just sad when this is the best people can come up with to spend large sums of money on. Even the rest of the ideas in this thread is just as bad.

How about trying to accomplish something with all that money now that you've accomplished making a bunch of money?

And who the hell would want to get married after getting rich, no matter what she looks like?!? Great idea, make 2.5billion and then start a down-hill trend immediately afterwards?

Who cares what someone else does with their money? Why does everyone have to do something "meaningful" with THEIR money? If he wants to buy a hundred Ferraris, why should you or anyone else care?

My sisters good friend is worth over a billion and its quite the interesting lifestyle. Wouldn't be able to tell until you start seeing or hearing about properties they own. If you are halfway intelligent you can make that money just keep building and live amazingly. If MSFT just bought my company for $2.5bil I would make a couple of outrageous purchases too. More like the 20,000sqft garage and cars and buy a cute dinky little house like above said. Or you could be like groupon and not sellout.

My first thought was to put most or all of it into a savings account, and then withdrawing the interest and giving stacks of cash to people in homeless shelters. Improving lives is so much better than buying expensive shit that serves little purpose.

Oh, and if I had that kind of money, I would have a brand-new house built from the ground-up, completely customized to my specifications. Never walked in, and totally unique.

My first thought was to put most or all of it into a savings account, and then withdrawing the interest and giving stacks of cash to people in homeless shelters. Improving lives is so much better than buying expensive shit that serves little purpose.

Oh, and if I had that kind of money, I would have a brand-new house built from the ground-up, completely customized to my specifications. Never walked in, and totally unique.

i agree. but 99 percent ppl are selfish .

If the land said big house sits on could be sub divided into 6 not rich person dwellings which would subsequently collect 6 lots of land tax then I fail to see the problem. If you take up 6 houses worth of space you need to chip in for 6 houses worth of tax.

... It is funny when you read all the peeps who got their panties in a bunch over how he spent a sum of money that represents less than 3% of his networth.

Perspective, how does it work?.

If I had that kind of money, I'd be loaning it out to college students at a high interest rate.

He outbid Beyonce and JayZ for the house, almost worth it just to see the looks on their faces when you outbid them lol.

Also he tweeted this:
B5LRxbeCMAArlwr.jpg:large

If the land said big house sits on could be sub divided into 6 not rich person dwellings which would subsequently collect 6 lots of land tax then I fail to see the problem. If you take up 6 houses worth of space you need to chip in for 6 houses worth of tax.
1) But it's still one person, so they're not contributing 6 persons worth of individuals who benefit from the tax
2) House was 70 million, even 6 houses worth is way more, hell 100 houses worth of tax is really pushing it.

Good for him. Don't think I'd spend $70 million on a house even if I had that kind of money though.

Back