not willing to delid 7700k and void warranty

_l_

[H]ard|Gawd
I'll be doing a PC build in about a month and have been reading everything I can about Ryzen and Intel CPU's mobos, etc . Was disappointed to read that so many had to delid their i7 series CPU's due to high thermals.

Some i7 reviews say thermals are ok, others say way too high and to delid but to delid is to void the warranty, right? That seems too risky to me considering it's a $300+ CPU (unless it's out of warranty)

I read the builds folks here at [H] post in their signature and quite a few were i7 7700k (or similar high thermal CPU's).

Would appreciate any input regarding real world experiences with Intel thermals and need (or lack of) to delid

I will be overclocking and that's why I'm concerned. I can use a Noctua NH-D15 but I read that temps remain high when OCing even with that cooler. Max Temp for 7700k is said to be 100C ...

Is it really a problem if it runs at 90C during gaming?

In the official delidding thread on ocn a member delided his cpu and got warranty on it because the delidding didn't cause the failure.

They did require him to have the IHS match the cpu

Reactions: _l_
like this
I will be overclocking and that's why I'm concerned. I can use a Noctua NH-D15 but I read that temps remain high when OCing even with that cooler. Max Temp for 7700k is said to be 100C, is it really a problem if it runs at 90C during gaming?

Should be fine at 90C, it’s completey up to you hot hot you are comfortable with.

Reactions: _l_
like this
I will be overclocking and that's why I'm concerned. I can use a Noctua NH-D15 but I read that temps remain high when OCing even with that cooler. Max Temp for 7700k is said to be 100C, is it really a problem if it runs at 90C during gaming?

It will not run anywhere close to 90C while gaming even overclocked at 5ghz.. those 90C+ are for people who have the chip stresse with a synthetic benchmark or unrealistic workloads as prime95/aida64/occt etc..

Also why interested in the 7700k with the 8700K already in the market? The 7700k it's pointless unless you pick it at Uber cheap prices..

ok, that's what I needed to know! Those online reviews don't tell ya they are using a stress tester. also, I was pretty set on the EVGA Z270 Classified, great looking mobo for sure but 8700k does make more sense. Thanks for the input everyone ...

Im not an attorney but I believe the Magnussen Moss Warranty Act sais otherwise or was that just concerning cars?

Im not an attorney but I believe the Magnussen Moss Warranty Act sais otherwise or was that just concerning cars?

The risk is in delidding itself, not having the CPU fail after it’s been properly relidded. If you break the CPU doing the delid, it’s a paperweight.

ok, that's what I needed to know! Those online reviews don't tell ya they are using a stress tester.
Actually, virtually all professional reviews are quite clear about the hardware and software setup, for their tests. If you are at all skeptical----you can simply stick to [H]'s own reviews.

Actually, virtually all professional reviews are quite clear about the hardware and software setup, for their tests. If you are at all skeptical----you can simply stick to [H]'s own reviews.
you are correct, they do post Handbrake and various other software (none of which I'm familiar with). I was thinking of a CPU stressor like the one that comes with Kombuster or Furmark. Regardless, dumb post on my part.
Also, I don't know why but I forget about [H]ard|OPC for some reason and the link is right there in upper left corner of the forum - thanks for the reminder, just went there to going to read up on Ryzen 7 1700X

If you are building new, and you are not building for a month yet, you just need to switch to looking at the 8600k and 8700k right now and the Z370 motherboards. There will be no reason for you to go 7700k at that point unless you are getting a hell of a deal.

I'm looking at it from a typical enthusiast end-user point of view. If you are going to both void the warranty and keep it for a while, better to get the current beast that has 2 more cores and OCs better, if you are going to delid. Do it carefully, once, to the better chip and run it for 3-4 years. At that point it's market value is no longer an issue.

I would also not hesitate to recommend a 1700 or 1700x if they are under $300 to anyone building brand new who wants to spend less than the 8700k right now. Make no mistake about it though, an overclocked 8600k or 8700k is solidly superior.

In my mind, the AMD advantage would be buying a $260 1700 and a $90 mobo and laughing all the way to the bank as you get 4.0 or 4.1 with 8 cores for $350 for mobo and cpu both. Otherwise, 8600k or 8700k all the way as your wallet allows.

If you want a delid & a warranty, have you considered making your purchase from somewhere like silicon lottery?

I'll be doing a PC build in about a month and have been reading everything I can about Ryzen and Intel CPU's mobos, etc . Was disappointed to read that so many had to delid their i7 series CPU's due to high thermals.

Some i7 reviews say thermals are ok, others say way too high and to delid but to delid is to void the warranty, right? That seems too risky to me considering it's a $300+ CPU (unless it's out of warranty)

I read the builds folks here at [H] post in their signature and quite a few were i7 7700k (or similar high thermal CPU's).

Would appreciate any input regarding real world experiences with Intel thermals and need (or lack of) to delid

We don’t like wimps here. And delidding with moder tools like rockit88 is so freaking safe, one mist be a total idiot to mess it up with all the tutorials around. CPUs don’t just die if they work in a first place either.

For what it's worth, Puget claims their field failure rate for i3/i5/i7 is 0.34%.
Statistically, you're far more likely to kill the CPU during the delid process.

Like you, I was ambivalent to de-lid, the thought of killing a $600 processor made me balk. Luckily (at least in my area), there are numerous individuals offering delid service for only $40.

I don't think I would have had the guts to do it myself, but I was extraordinarily pleased with both the service and the results of delidding. I went from 90+c at 4.8ghz under load, to 5ghz and 75c, using a 7820x.

For me, it was totally worth it, but I would only recommend it if a) you are an experienced user and have both the patience and desire to do it yourself or b) find a delid service that guarantees their work - although I don't know what means of recourse Ii would have if the seller reneged on his offer (CPU replacement in the event of it breaking during the delid).

My 7700k (non-delid) OC @ 4.8 and temps goes up to high 80s when I use IntelBurnTest to test it. When gaming or using handbrake it barely hit mid 70s.

My 7700k (non-delid) OC @ 4.8 and temps goes up to high 80s when I use IntelBurnTest to test it. When gaming or using handbrake it barely hit mid 70s.
what cooler are you using?

I have mine at 4.8 also, I only play overwatch and its about 60c havent got intelburntest to work but prime 95 is 80+

Rockit Cool is the bomb.
I have de-lidded three CPUs so far, including a brandee-new 8600K .
Procedure is easy-peezy and includes a nice re-lidding kit as well.

The RTV silicone works like a dream and is easy to apply. You just need the correct syringes and needles to lay
down a thin bead.

Just do it. My 7600Ks have reduced load temps by 15C.
The 8600K is still drying but if I can get 10C knocked off load it will mean a big difference in
how high a fan cycle I'll need to use. Obviously the lower the load the more quiet the fans.

All that being said, as others have noted, a load in gaming will never be as hot as running 100% with Prime 95.

Nonetheless, make sure you invest some money in a good cooler.

I use custom watercooling, but my sons has a Corsair H80 V2, and the fans can get a bit whiny at 80% fan cycle.

Last edited:
Back