Not technically a case mod but .. 3D modeled parts for MasterCase 5

WheresWaldo

Limp Gawd
I just got my Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro and I have a lot of time before I have all the parts to build up my PC. So, I asked on the CoolerMaster forum if part of "Make it your own" included releasing 3D models for easier modding. I got no response.

These are not scans of the original parts converted to solid models, they are recreations from scratch based on measurements of the actual parts. They are designed with a view to home printing replacements. You could also use a 3D print service such as Sculpteo or Ponoko, etc.

I decided to take apart my case and start to model the parts myself by reverse engineering the dimensions. Mind you I have not printed any of these parts myself, but I did design them so they can be printed on a consumer 3D printer. I have uploaded a couple of models to Thingiverse. I have included STEP files for those that want to further mod the parts themselves. Here are a couple of quick renders.

As you can see below the first parts modeled so far are the slide lock mechanism for the optical drive bays. They should be drop in replacements.

MC5 Drive Bay Lock Insert v4 - Thing.png
MC5 Drive Bay Lock Outer v1 - Thing.png

The models are located here:
MasterCase 5 Drive Bay Slide Lock Insert by WheresWaldo
MasterCase 5 Drive Lock Outer Shell by WheresWaldo

As time permits, I will try to model the other exterior parts for self printing.

Mods: If this does not belong in Worklogs feel free to move it to whatever forum is appropriate.

Last edited:
Some more spare time resulted in an opportunity to model another plastic part on the MasterCase 6 Pro. This time it is the toolless drive caddy. You still need the four pins from the original drive caddies to use as drive anchors for this one.

MC5 Tool-less Drive Tray v2.png

As with the previous two models, a version has been uploaded to Thingiverse along with a solid model STEP file for self-modification. The model is located here:
MasterCase 5 Tool-Less Drive Caddy by WheresWaldo

Just to show that I actually own a Mastercase 5 Pro, here is a picture of it in a semi taken apart state.

_1MG6052.jpg

I am having the sliding lock inserts printed in nylon and I should have them in a week or so. Still waiting to see what the selection is on Intel's Retail Edge before deciding on CPU and motherboard.

Small addition today, just the case badge has been modeled. This one will be very easy to print and can be printed on any consumer 3D printer with no supports.

MC5 Case Badge v2.png

As with the other models, this one is also up on Thingiverse along with a STEP solid model file, here:
MasterCase 5 Case Badge by WheresWaldo

I took apart the I/O panel this morning to find something I did not expect. The front panel itself is double-sided taped to the portion of the case plastic. The I/O connectors and Audio connectors are all in a small box that is screwed in place held by 4 coarse threaded screws, then the box itself is held together with two coarse thread screws. But having the panel itself glued or taped to rest of the plastic surround has made modeling it as a separate 3D printable part more problematic. It also means that the new I/O panel will not just be the guts and front plastic but rather the entire angled section of multiple plastic pieces on the top. Why Cooler Master chose to build the front this way is a mystery. It will make the I/O upgrade needlessly more expensive.

I am going to work on the section tomorrow to see if a bit of hot air will soften the adhesive enough to remove the front plastic. I will take a few pictures to illustrate this when I disassemble it for the second time tomorrow.

Last edited:
Not much chance to get things done over the weekend so I only modeled one thing. This is a 3D printable version of the internal accessories box. Mounts with the drive caddy. Files to print directly and solid model files are included for those that want to modify the box for their own needs.
MC5 Accessory Box v3.png

Files are located here
MasterCase 5 Accessory Box by WheresWaldo

A couple of new models available on Thingiverse for the MasterCase 5 (Standard/Pro/Maker)

First up is a printable low profile SSD mount. Needs to be printed with supports.

MC5 Low Profile SSD Mount v1.png

An idea for implementation is printing this in a translucent filament and placing a short strip of LEDs under the center section, It will create a glow around the bottom of any SSD mounted on the top.

Second is the same mount with a 15° angle. You can showcase your SSD (or modded SSD with this.

MC5 Angled SSD Mount 15° v1.png

As with all the other models I have uploaded to Thingiverse, these include solid model CAD files to import into your favorite 3D CAD program and modify as required.

Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Low Profile SSD Mount by WheresWaldo
Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Angled SSD Mount - 15° by WheresWaldo

Aside from the 3D models, I have been able to start collecting parts to actually build the PC. So far here are the selections.

Intel Core i7-6700K
Asus Sabertooth Z170 S
Thermaltake Riing 140 RGB case fans​

Since funds are limited, it will probably take a few months to complete the build. In the meantime I will continue to work on 3D printable models of the internal parts.

So glad I caught this thread on the front page sidebar! You are doing great work here and I love the whole concept of what is taking place (3d modeling mod parts and 3d printing them!) What 3d Printer do you use? Also, what 3d modeling software are you using? I have experience with solidworks and I am in the market for a 3d printer.

I have two, my first printer is a Robo 3d R1 and the second is a Eustathios Spider v2 (open source). I use Fusion 360 to model. Fusion 360 is free to use for students, hobbyists and small (<$100,000 per year) startups.

As a result of the 3D models, Cooler Master decided to send me a Maker Case. So I am now in the process of reworking the 3D models and adding more for the Maker case. They have also asked if I would consider joining their Maker community.

Back