Not sure what to buy, need a bit of help.

Nutzy

Limp Gawd
I am interested in upgrading my computer, I have some decent XMS Ram, so basicly I am looking for a Proc, Mobo, and Video Card. Right now the only game I really play is source, because I play it competitively. I also do Graphic design, and a bit of video editing. What I am trying to figure out what is the best way to go as far as a proc/video card combo, and mobo as well.

I am trying to decide which opty/x2 proc to get along with video card, I will also overclock it as well if need be. I just want the best bang for buck that I can get.

I was looking at the 4400+ and possibly a 6800gs, but I'm not sure if I chould get a diffrent proc, or a better video card, like a 7800gt or 7800gtx.

I'd say get an Opteron 144 for less than $200, but it is single core. If you must have dual core, go for the Opteron 165. These are the socket 939 flavor, and they have a reputation for overclocking very nicely with very little effort, they do go up to the 4400+ level.
For a motherboard, it really depends on what you want to do with it. Do you want SLI? What on-board features do you want/need...RAID?...Firewire?...Sound?... You've got so many choices, you really need to define what you want. It doesn't even help to recommend a certain brand here, because all of them have a few boards that are terrible, and almost all have a few boards that are wonderful. The only thing I can say for sure, is since you are upgrading the whole rig AND video card, go with PCI-Express slot.
For video, you need a PCI-Express card (as said). You mentioned the GeForce 7800GXT...well, that's right at the top, and if you want to do video editing, many do have VIVO capability. But you might also want to take a look at the ATI All-In-Wonder cards for video editing and high performance, like the All-In-Wonder Radeon X1800XL 256MB.
On a final note, I would say to be sure to not skimp on the power source. You'll pay a little extra, but it will save you trouble in the long run with high-performance system. There are lots of threads in here on what to look for.

Well, I'm looking for a board that does have raid, probably not going to SLI at all. Was also leaning towards a dual core as well. I was thinking of yeah, the 7800gtx, or possibly the 1900xt. I am a gamer first, and everything else is behind that as far as a priority. Soundcard not really needed, I have Icemat Headphones, with USB soundcard. I was looking at the abit an8 series mobo, the non sli one, they come in just under $100, and have most of the features I am looking for.

The 165's, can they be overclocked on stock cooling to 4400 speeds? what how much of a preformance diffrence does the L1 Cache of 64kb + 64kb, and the L2 Cashe of 2 x 1mb of the 165 vs the L1 Cashe of 128kb + 128kb, and the L2 cashe 2 x 1mb effect performance?

Back