Not Sure Motherboard or memory problem

DeanEH

Weaksauce
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section. I have a Asus z270A prime motherboard with 32 Gb of memory installed. I've had this motherboard for a few months and just noticed that two of my sticks of memory are not running in dual mode but single mode. The memory sticks are all the same . Is this a memory fault or has something gone wrong with the motherboard?

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section. I have a Asus z270A prime motherboard with 32 Gb of memory installed. I've had this motherboard for a few months and just noticed that two of my sticks of memory are not running in dual mode but single mode. The memory sticks are all the same . Is this a memory fault or has something gone wrong with the motherboard?

Is all 32GB recognized in the UEFI BIOS or in Windows? I would shut the system down and reseat the memory as this may be a simple issue like that. Otherwise, you can setup memory interleaving in the UEFI BIOS which would correct this. If it doesn't work, then you've got bigger problems.

I took out the memory sticks that where running in single mode and moved the memory sticks that where running in dual mode to the slots that the single mode sticks where in and they are running in dual mode. I then installed the single mode sticks in the other two slots and they are still running in single mode. Maybe its a memory problem. I can't find anything in my bios or my manual about memory interleaving.

It's possible there is an issue with one of your modules.

I did do a check. When I did that with CPU-z one memory stick in slot one said it was running in dual mode and the other memory stick in slot three said it was running in single mode. They do the same in slots two and four. I think it may be the two memory modules that keep running in single mode. They were bought as dual channel but something seems to have gone bad in them. They are Corsair Vengeance LPX. They work as rated except they don't operate as dual channel. Thanks for your reply.

I did do a check. When I did that with CPU-z one memory stick in slot one said it was running in dual mode and the other memory stick in slot three said it was running in single mode. They do the same in slots two and four. I think it may be the two memory modules that keep running in single mode. They were bought as dual channel but something seems to have gone bad in them. They are Corsair Vengeance LPX. They work as rated except they don't operate as dual channel. Thanks for your reply.

It's most likely one of the modules in the pair that's bad, not both.

How could I figure out which one may be bad? I tested both and both had the same results. If memory weren't so expensive I'd buy another set and try them out with the set that's runs in dual channel mode. I also have to reset my xmp every time I switch modules.

How could I figure out which one may be bad? I tested both and both had the same results. If memory weren't so expensive I'd buy another set and try them out with the set that's runs in dual channel mode. I also have to reset my xmp every time I switch modules.

Try each module by itself with one of the known good modules in the pair that works in dual channel mode. You can run Memtest or whatever against them at that point.

I am running memtest right now but so far nothing has showed up. I was on the web this morning and came across this information about Dual rank and single rank memory modules. When I run CPU-z and look under the SPD tab the one module will say dual and the other says single. I may have been crying wolf when there is no wolf.

If you bought modules in pairs, both modules should be either single ranked, or dual ranked. They wouldn't be mixed.

I did buy them in pairs and you are right one pair is single ranked and the other pair is dual ranked. Thanks for your help. I learned something today. Memtest found no errors.

Back