Not Recognized By Monitor

star78

n00b
Hi, I have built a PC with the following specs:

RAM - CRUCIAL 8GB PC4-19200U DDR4-2400MHZ x2
CPU - Intel Core i5-9400F Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.9 GHz (4.1 GHz Turbo)
GPU - ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Mini 8GB
Motherboard - MSI B360M PRO-VDH LGA 1151
SSD - Crucial MX500 250GB SSD
SSD - WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB SSD
PSU - EVGA 550 N1 100-N1-0550-L1 550W
Case - DIYPC P48-W White SECC ATX / Micro ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 2 x 120mm Blue

When I hooked it up to the monitor (Dell P170S) by DVI-D, I was unable to get a display. I tried both the motherboard DVI-D port and the GPU port. Both did not work. I checked the inside of the PC while it was powered on and everything seemed to be operating including the GPU fans. I have also tried reseating the RAM. Please help me figure out what is preventing me from seeing the POST message and getting a signal on the monitor. Thank you

id say its defaulting to the motherboards on board plugs. Try hooking up to one of these and set the output in bios before plunging into the video cards outputs. since you have already tried this look into clearing the cmos.

You probably won't have anything from the motherboard plugs.

It's an F chip without a GPU. That said, the board is now probably smart enough to detect when there is no onboard GPU.

I'm guessing something else is bad. Are all the parts new?

Can you check the motherboard manufacture date? It's possible it was built earlier on and has an old BIOS that doesn't recognize the newer 9xxx chips.

AFAIK the B360 got released same time as the Z370/H310s and originally support the 8xxx CPUs with 9xxx CPU support coming later.

The Z390/B365s should support 9xxx CPUs by default.

The parts are all new except for the GPU and monitor which I had purchased on Ebay. The GPU came from an independent seller and the monitor from Newegg. Thanks for all the replies! : )

I'm not too sure how to check the manufacture date. I took a quick look though and assuming it is accurate, according to Amazon's product description, it should support 9th gen CPU: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-PRO-VDH-Desktop-Motherboard-LGA-1151/dp/B07BZ3PG7V

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Double check all the power cables are connected, on the GPU and the two on the motherboard.

Even with some not fully connected, you can still get LED lights or fans to start but not enough power for GPU and/or CPU.

The board should support 9th gen assuming it is on a relatively up to date BIOS.

I'm not sure if the board's earlier BIOS revisions support 9th gen. A check on the MSI page yielded a blank CPU support list so I'm not sure.

I have checked the power cables and they seem to be fully connected. Unfortunately, I do not have a TV. The monitor is the only display I have available outside of my laptop.

Try plugging your laptop into the monitor (using adapters, if needed) to see that the monitor works or not.

I do not have the cables or adapters necessary on hand at the moment. However, when I turn on the monitor, it can display a color message saying "Dell Self Test Feature Check Red Green Blue White". I tried to get in to the menu but it would not work after pressing the button on the monitor.

I am kind of wondering if it is some kind of manufacturing incompatibility since the model of the monitor should be extremely old and the GPU is comparatively a lot more high tech and recent.

If anyone can confirm whether the MSI B360M is able to work with the GTX 1070 GPU when using a "F" chip without BIOS setting changes out of the box, that would be a great help also.

Assuming the monitor is working, is there anyway to view the BIOS without integrated graphics? Like if I removed the GPU and hooked the DVI-D cable up to the motherboard, would it be possible?

Last edited:
I do not have the cables or adapters necessary on hand at the moment. However, when I turn on the monitor, it can display a color message saying "Dell Self Test Feature Check Red Green Blue White". I tried to get in to the menu but it would not work after pressing the button on the monitor.

I am kind of wondering if it is some kind of manufacturing incompatibility since the model of the monitor should be extremely old and the GPU is comparatively a lot more high tech and recent.

If anyone can confirm whether the MSI B360M is able to work with the GTX 1070 GPU when using a "F" chip without BIOS setting changes out of the box, that would be a great help also.

Assuming the monitor is working, is there anyway to view the BIOS without integrated graphics? Like if I removed the GPU and hooked the DVI-D cable up to the motherboard, would it be possible?
certainly worth a try at this point

delete key or in some cases the f2 key will get you in the bios.if the the bios date is before version 7B24vA3 you need to update your're settings.This can be seen on the msi support page.

Last edited:
Like if I removed the GPU and hooked the DVI-D cable up to the motherboard, would it be possible?

Won't work. On older setups, you could enter the BIOS normally except you'd go in blind.

Not sure what the behavior is on newer ones.

EDIT

Googled MSI again and support page now loads.

You'd a minimum a BIOS version of 7B24vA3 for it to work. This is dated 2018-07-26.

If you're on an older BIOS (earliest BIOS is dated 2018-02 on their site), you'll need an 8th gen CPU to update.

Any way to determine the manufacture date based on the serial? Does MSI still follow this format for their serials?

Last edited:
Is it possible the monitor is just incompatible with the GPU? The cable they sent me with the monitor is 1x VGA and 1x DVI-D single link. I tried both the regular DVI-D cable with all the pins and the single link DVI-D cable that came with the monitor.

I have checked the serial number, it should be 2018/10 as the date of manufacture.

Last edited:
i think you will probably need a different monitor.Someone else will need to chime in at this point.can't think of any thing else at the moment

One last stab.... Does the monitor have a analog/digital option in the menu? I don't have the manual for it so just asking the odd question.

It says it can support analog / digital but I can not open the menu even after pressing the physical menu button on the monitor. By default, when connected with DVI-D, it says analog but it may be because it did not detect signals from the DVI-D cable.

dvi to vga adapter can be found at wal-mart.there are two types.one has a vertical blade the other does not have this blade.this is the cheapest solution i can think of.

If you cant access the menu from the monitor then that bad boy is toast.

Does it have a power brick? Is the light on(if it has one)?

You can buy aftermarket ones pretty cheap.

The monitor seems to display color and default text. The power light is able to turn on. It does not seem to have a power brick. The monitor connects directly by a power cable.

I'm not sure. I hooked up the GPU with the monitor by DVI-D.

I can not access the monitor menu.

when tou bought your'er zotac 1070 did it come with a dvi to vga adapter?

PDF manual for the monitor

Check that out for troubleshooting.

The monitor should auto-detect the correct input when the system is turned on. However, you can manually change the input with the leftmost button on the bottom-right of the monitor. The button next to that is the On Screen Display button and it should work even if there is no input to the monitor. Also keep in mind that the VGA (D-sub) input is the analog input while the DVI input is the digital input.

Work with the manual to see what response you should be getting from the monitor even if there is no signal detected.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
Digital input says there is no signal coming from my computer.

Edit: I found out that there seems to be no power coming from the USB ports after. Pressing the Caps Lock key on the keyboard does not light up the corresponding LED. USB ports do not appear to have power.

I have checked the cables again but did not see any irregularities.

Last edited:
I got it working! It was because a piece of RAM was not seated properly. Thanks so much for all your replies and help!

Back