Not impressed at all with water cooling...

need more info! complete rig specs, how the loop(s) are set up, and also, if its quiet, then it aint bad...but more info is needed! :)

Those temps seem good to me. How are your ambient temps? I see a lot of people reporting temps that just seem impossible. One guy on here reported his idle temps at 27C. :rolleyes:

My prescott idled at 45 and loaded at 55 with a good watercooling system. This was with 80 F or higher temps. I hear many people say they keep their rooms 65-70F, that makes a big difference in temps.

viperdv2k4 said:
I spent about $500 on this and my temps are--
CPU- 32 C Idle 42 C Full Load
GPU- 48 C Idle 52 C Full Load
This is not at all worth $500....

(CPU @ 2.6)
(GPU @ 459/1.20)
Will adding another radiator or heatercore lower temps? If so by how mch?

if the system specs are in your sig, then they're very good. I idle at 39C and load at 49C with my A64 3000+ @ 2.7ghz 1.65 volts.

Personally my system only cost me $250 though. I wouldn't spend the money on a Storm Block or a NV68 block.

How hot/warm is the room you're in? Watercooling will never go lower than the ambient temperatures unless you have some sort of freezer.

I think that looks fine, others here can chime in.

A couple things to check:
Do you have a shroud between the Fans and the Heatercore?
Have you tried turning off ONE set of the Fans? Hence losing the Push/Pull...
Where in your Case does the Air come in? Are you pulling outside air over the Heatercore, or pushing hot Case air out through it?
I prefer the "Pump-CPU-GPU-HC-Res" layout myself, but that is just cleaner hosing route in my case...not most effecient cooling.

I don't think many people use Push/Pull anymore, the performance/noise trade offs were not good IIRC.

So to ask again the question that others have been asking.

What is your ambient (room) temperature?

Do you have a picture of your setup?

Which bit of your temperatures are you most unhappy about? The CPU? The GPU?

What were your reported temperatures prior to your water adventure on the same equipment and at the same ambient temperature?

Do you have both blocks mounted correctly? Especially with a Storm, you shouldn't be seeing a 10*C difference between idle and load, but your gpu temperature is about right, because the NV-68 isn't designed to be the best core block, and can be difficult to get a good mounting. Do you have the center barb on the Storm as the inlet and the other as the outlet? If none of the previous questions/suggestions apply to you, then look through this thread for some more help.

The NV-68 really isn't a very good block. It's very restrictive which will raise temps for the CPU as well. That plus the Storm must kill your flow. I would have gone with a Maze4 (or the like) and copper ram sinks with a little airflow.

DieLate said:
The NV-68 really isn't a very good block. It's very restrictive which will raise temps for the CPU as well. That plus the Storm must kill your flow. I would have gone with a Maze4 (or the like) and copper ram sinks with a little airflow.

If they are both restrictive then it does not matter. They are both functioning as they were designed.

the problem is..you spent 500 bucks. You coulda gotten the STORM block, reservoir, pump, radiator, and GPU for 200 bucks....at 200 bucks it is worth it. the STORM is normally about 10 degrees C below the xp90 which is 15 degrees Fahrenheit...give or take. Try going outside in when it is 60 and 75 and you can feel the difference ;)

Uh, no, you can't:

Storm: $75
NV-68: $125
D5: $75
Dual heater core (assuming from DD) + 4 fans: $75
Tubing, additives, fittings, shipping etc.: the remaining $150

I'd say if your gpu temperature is really bugging you, then reseat the block while checking how good of contact the core is making with the block.

I could build over three of my setup for $500, you must have gone all-out with the bling bling parts.

Steeeeve said:
the problem is..you spent 500 bucks. You coulda gotten the STORM block, reservoir, pump, radiator, and GPU for 200 bucks....at 200 bucks it is worth it. the STORM is normally about 10 degrees C below the xp90 which is 15 degrees Fahrenheit...give or take. Try going outside in when it is 60 and 75 and you can feel the difference ;)

storm block - $75
good pump - $70
radiator - $35
thats already $180...
you can squeeze in a GPU block, reservoir, tubing, clamps, fluids...all for $20? DONT THINK SO CHAMP.

around $270 gets you a pretty decent setup. $500 is just overkill imo.

ikellensbro said:
Uh, no, you can't:

Storm: $75
NV-68: $125
D5: $75
Dual heater core (assuming from DD) + 4 fans: $75
Tubing, additives, fittings, shipping etc.: the remaining $150

I'd say if your gpu temperature is really bugging you, then reseat the block while checking how good of contact the core is making with the block.
DAMN, for 500.00 you could almost get Phase Change Cooling, then all you would be worried about it "condensation" :p

newls1 said:
DAMN, for 500.00 you could almost get Phase Change Cooling, then all you would be worried about it "condensation" :p

But who wants a refrigerator sound coming out of their computer all day?

Top Nurse said:
But who wants a refrigerator sound coming out of their computer all day?
depends if noise bugs you or not.

so long as it was in the low thirty dB's, for that performance level, it would be WELL worth the noise, for me.

alternately, in that price range, he MIGHT have been able to swing a good pelt solution.

just a reminder, though, the swiftech APEX kit has an MSRP of $259.95 US. add a maze 4 acetyl top GPU block for $44.95 US and some BGA ramsinks for about $20 US and you're set for top-end watercooling, for somewhat less than the $500 mentioned earlier.

the swiftech pelt watercooling kit runs $550 US, add the same waterblock and ramsinks as above, and you could be sub-ambient for not a whole lot more than the OP spent.

currently idling at -8C with a work-in-progress CPU overclock, load is about 0C. the above kit has a somewhat better performing block, and a better pump. not enough radiating area for truely quiet opperation, though.

I think the temps are pretty good.

I'd personally tone down the fans and run them at 6-7volts and reseat your blocks.

no there has to be a problem in there, i have my setup pump-rad-cpu-gpu- and cpu gets from 35-41, and 6800 from 43-49. with an 80mm rad, mcw6002, and mcw50, in a shuttle. i dont see how you temps can be that high with a dual 120 rad.

It's way too high, IMO. I've got an Athlon DTR 3400 at 2.7GHz/1.6v and an X800XT at 643-624 v-mod, and temps are more in the range of 30 C idle/36 C load for the CPU, and about 31 C idle/42 C load. Triple BIX and Antarctica blocks, 3/8" tubing.

domoMKIV said:
storm block - $75
good pump - $70
radiator - $35
thats already $180...
you can squeeze in a GPU block, reservoir, tubing, clamps, fluids...all for $20? DONT THINK SO CHAMP.

around $270 gets you a pretty decent setup. $500 is just overkill imo.

Swiftech Barebones 135
Storm block 75
VGA 30

$240...close enough.

Or...
STORM 75
Radiator 28
Reservoir-dont get one!! fill-bleed idea or 18
Pump-40 notta real good one
VGA-28 notta real good one
Tubing and what not-10

For his exact system though:

4 fans doesn't help (as in justifies extra cost, noise, weight, etc). So that was a waste
Then you have your garbage DD cooler that costs too much. Another waste You coulda saved 80 bucks by just getting a polarflo and getting result that are just as good
STORM is a good block..so that wasnt a waste
35 for a radiator..not bad

So yeah, 500 was a waste and it was not very smart.

My wastecooling system cost me around 220 and I got the swiftech pump, Rev2 radiator, STORM, floppy reservoir, mcp350 pump, and a VGA block by polarflo....It yields the same results as your 500 buck system.

DFI Daishi said:
depends if noise bugs you or not.

so long as it was in the low thirty dB's, for that performance level, it would be WELL worth the noise, for me.

alternately, in that price range, he MIGHT have been able to swing a good pelt solution.

just a reminder, though, the swiftech APEX kit has an MSRP of $259.95 US. add a maze 4 acetyl top GPU block for $44.95 US and some BGA ramsinks for about $20 US and you're set for top-end watercooling, for somewhat less than the $500 mentioned earlier.

the swiftech pelt watercooling kit runs $550 US, add the same waterblock and ramsinks as above, and you could be sub-ambient for not a whole lot more than the OP spent.

currently idling at -8C with a work-in-progress CPU overclock, load is about 0C. the above kit has a somewhat better performing block, and a better pump. not enough radiating area for truely quiet opperation, though.

This guy shows my point exactly...

Steeeeve said:
This guy shows my point exactly...
except with sub zero temps his overclock is no better than an air cooled solution.

There is more to performance than how cold the motherboard temps report, unless you are talking -100c. :)

I bet he could overclock some more....who was that one guy that OCed his intel to 7ghz?

R1ckCa1n said:
except with sub zero temps his overclock is no better than an air cooled solution.

There is more to performance than how cold the motherboard temps report, unless you are talking -100c. :)
i'll admit that the returns are small, especially these days, but cooler temps will net you at least some improvement to the overclock.

i will fully stand with statements like this when someone comes into a thread and starts preaching a system that costs a whole lot more than the ones currently being discussed, however when it comes to getting lower temps in the same price range.....i don't think that you have a whole lot of room to claim a moral high-ground.

Please tell me that was like $500 YEN or something - you can get a top end WC system for less then $300US. - usually closer to $200 if u shop aruond.

Swiftech Storm kit -> $250.00 Danger Den Maze4 GPU block -> $45.00

Total: $295.00

500 bucks??? You paid WAY too much, period.

DFI Daishi said:
i will fully stand with statements like this when someone comes into a thread and starts preaching a system that costs a whole lot more than the ones currently being discussed, however when it comes to getting lower temps in the same price range.....i don't think that you have a whole lot of room to claim a moral high-ground.

I'm sorry, but what are you speaking in reference to? Are we talking about expensive chillers or phase change units?

your temps seem ok at idle...but i would say it's the NV68 block thats killing everything at load...considering those cards produce ALOT of heat when under a load.

viperdv2k4 said:
I spent about $500 on this and my temps are--
CPU- 32 C Idle 42 C Full Load
GPU- 48 C Idle 52 C Full Load
This is not at all worth $500....

(CPU @ 2.6)
(GPU @ 459/1.20)
Will adding another radiator or heatercore lower temps? If so by how mch?

I would go along with R1ckCa1n and say your temps appear to be okay to me. Are you having any artifact problems or errors in prime? BTW, comparing temps from one MB to another is debatable due to the wide variance of tolerance associated with MB and GPU sensors. You can always get more radiator space, but it is debatable whether your going to see a lot of difference.

I doubt the guy wants to hear about how much he paid, and that wasn't his concern, so why bother saying it?

To the OP, your cpu temps are fine, and about average. I too see people here boasting temps of 27c or some garbage but I find that hard to believe. Maybe with a 2.0 @ 2.1 in the dead of winter...

If you want to compare, I have a prescott 3.06 oc'ed to 3.5 and it idles at 32c and bumps up to 40c prime95'ed and my room ambient is anywhere from 77F to 82F (and that makes a big difference).

You are complaning for the performance you paid for

and we are telling you you paid too much - just because you pay more - doesnt mean you get better products.

But you do have nice ahrdware - but it seems the temps ar reporting rigth - ambient temps and CPU's running considerably hotter these days it is hard to get the sub 30C temps you used to be able to.

R1ckCa1n said:

What? No better clocks then aircooling? I would think you might just be overexaggerating. But I think it's a bit too far. I generally gain 200MHz or so with a mach I. Not talking about if it's worth it, but 200MHz isn't "no better" by any stretch.

I agree on other stuffs. $500 bought me a used prometia and probably paid for most of my VC watercooling. Once we start talking about $500... it's hard not to mention phase. You don't need a cascade before you see improvements. That's the only phase units that get that low (-100C). Seems vapo LS's and everything else are in your pointless group. Sorry but that's a bit absurd to put it with air. Very rare to not have any gains.

I can only conclude there is no chance you've used one before or had a bad chip. No gains? Crazy talk.

Back