Not [H]ot but 7950 for 229.97

filip

2[H]4U
For those of you looking for a 7950 that is not 1million dollars here is your chance.
Tiger Direct via amazon sapphire 7950 for 229.97
Link

Enjoy mining! :D

Edit: looks like the deal was finally pulled, sorry guys.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Remember when these were $150?

Now anything less than full list price is hot.

Only price increases I can remember in computer part history are maybe DDR2/DDR3 memory and after the hard drive "flood" which somehow never got back to normal prices until capacity went up.

But nothing like this. Amazon/Newegg/etc. all list some 7950s for $450 as in-stock items, which must mean someone is buying them at 300% markup.

Why is this? I paid like $2something almost a year ago?

because litecoin

i've been wanting one for crossfire, but won't go above 150-170ish that I paid for a powercolor just a few months ago.

i was able to pick up one for this price. plus $20 rebate through sapphire as well as $25 rebate through tigerdirect on any clearance item above $100 brought price down to $185 after all is said and done. i can live with a $15-$30 markup over old prices in todays market.

It's so bad I saw a HIS IceQ Boost Clock 7950 on ebay that the seller described as Power up Only.
No Video go for 163.00 + shipping

I hate miners for these ridiculous prices, but at the same time I'm happy to see AMD scaring Nvidia. It might amp up the competition and maybe push out Maxwell sooner at a lower than expected price.

what makes amd cards better for mining then nvidia cards? and is it only the 7000 series going up in price? 6000, 5000 series dont get the same benefit?

what makes amd cards better for mining then nvidia cards? and is it only the 7000 series going up in price? 6000, 5000 series dont get the same benefit?

google is your friend. its not a simple two line answer if you're actually interested in getting educated on this.

google is your friend. its not a simple two line answer if you're actually interested in getting educated on this.

Why do you have to be a smart a$$ in nearly every thread you post in? There are two threads alone on the [H]otDeals front page you make these kinda remarks in..If you are going to take the time to post, then answer the ACTUAL QUESTION instead of being a dick to everyone..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

alphaqforever247, in short the way it comes down to a simple way Nvidia handles a given set of instructions. AMD does it in 1 cycle, Nvidia does it in 3...Now that is an extremely simplistic view, but pretty much the reason.

I thought maybe they were going up in price because they ahve been discontineud ?
-
Was also looking for a second one for crossfire. Hum. I wonder if the new cards crossfire with 7950.

The R9 290 crossfires with 7970, Brent confirmed it here.

So I guess the answer is "maybe."

Why do you have to be a smart a$$ in nearly every thread you post in? There are two threads alone on the [H]otDeals front page you make these kinda remarks in..If you are going to take the time to post, then answer the ACTUAL QUESTION instead of being a dick to everyone..

spare the melodrama. the fact of the matter is its not a quick and simple answer why AMD's are the go-to cards for mining. if you start reading on it you'll understand why.

what makes amd cards better for mining then nvidia cards?

The particular gpu ops on amd and nv cards are obviously not identical. They are different. It just so happens that the radeon gpu instruction set is mining algorithm friendly. Luck of the draw.

The particular gpu ops on amd and nv cards are obviously not identical. They are different. It just so happens that the radeon gpu instruction set is mining algorithm friendly. Luck of the draw.

Nah, I think it's AMD cards push out more flops. Been that way for ages. AMD cards are better engineered.

Nvidia cards tend to use driver cheats and paying off devs (TWMTBP) to keep up despite weakling actual GPU's.

For example this, it's not even bitcoin mining just GPGPU, AMD destroys Nvidia

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Luxmark11.png

sell it on ebay and you'll basically have a gtx 770 for $200

Thank you for the heads up guys. I just cleared ~$290 after Ebay/Paypal fees and shipping label for my used 7950. LOL. Paid $250 for it in July with 4 free games.

Now I just have to replace it.... :p

Thank you for the heads up guys. I just cleared ~$290 after Ebay/Paypal fees and shipping label for my used 7950. LOL. Paid $250 for it in July with 4 free games.

Now I just have to replace it.... :p

Lol I bought my 7950 for the same price(without games) last January and sold it mid December and got $300 after fees. I ended up getting buying a GTX 780 with Batman, Splinter Cell, and AC Black Flag for $440.

I'll assume you're looking for a simple explanation. Take this example: my OCed 7970 mines at ~700 KH/s whereas a (stock) GTX 780 TI mines at ~430 KH/s (taking this from the comparison chart I've linked). AMD cards are simply much better processing the workloads involved in mining. Check out the comparison chart here for some more comparisons.

spare the melodrama. the fact of the matter is its not a quick and simple answer why AMD's are the go-to cards for mining. if you start reading on it you'll understand why.

Why is easy: they mine at much higher rates. The "how" is technical and complicated. ;) A fairly simple overview can be found on bitcoin's wiki here.

Nah, I think it's AMD cards push out more flops. Been that way for ages. AMD cards are better engineered.

These things can be pinned down much more concretely that "pushing out flops" ... iirc, it's technically that a particular single op on the radeon takes 3 on nv. That's what I remember reading. Something like rotate, but nv has to shift / shift / or

I'll assume you're looking for a simple explanation. Take this example: my OCed 7970 mines at ~700 KH/s whereas a (stock) GTX 780 TI mines at ~430 KH/s (taking this from the comparison chart I've linked). AMD cards are simply much better processing the workloads involved in mining. Check out the comparison chart here for some more comparisons.

Why is easy: they mine at much higher rates. The "how" is technical and complicated. ;) A fairly simple overview can be found on bitcoin's wiki here.

That chart is very outdated. 780 Ti should get like 650 kH with the latest cudaminer. My 780 gets around 550...

You know... considering the inflated AMD prices right now, if one is looking to game and just mine on the side the newer Nv cards aren't too bad really. And if the mining craze fades out resale value won't tank on a 780 at least

anyone know if 68xx are selling for a premium? If so I'll sell mine.

probably not to be honest. 5850+ are good for mining, 6950+, 7950+, and 280x+ for each respective series. I mean you could get some money for it, but don't expect the same kind of overpricing as seen on the 7950s and r9 series

That chart is very outdated. 780 Ti should get like 650 kH with the latest cudaminer. My 780 gets around 550...

You know... considering the inflated AMD prices right now, if one is looking to game and just mine on the side the newer Nv cards aren't too bad really. And if the mining craze fades out resale value won't tank on a 780 at least

I am pulling 700/kh @1411 on the core with MSI lightning.

Not very power efficient but it works!

probably not to be honest. 5850+ are good for mining, 6950+, 7950+, and 280x+ for each respective series. I mean you could get some money for it, but don't expect the same kind of overpricing as seen on the 7950s and r9 series

with bitcoin mining the 5000 were better then the 6000 because they had more stream processors, now the 6000 are better then the 5000 -- but both are still much better then nvidia for this application.

My 580 GTX gets 264kh, my 5830 gets 280kh, but obviously the 580gtx is wayyyy more powerful at gaming.

but it isn't hard to explain.

AMD cards use many simple shader cores, which is good for mining since SHA256 is a very simple calculation. Nvidia uses fewer more complex shader cores, which isn't good for mining.

Basically AMD cards were designed to be more parallel than Nvidia's, which just so happens to make them better at mining.

Back