Not getting full Gigabit...

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Ok, I've upgraded to FIOS Gigabit.

Problem is, I'm only getting about half the thru-put I would expect.

With overhead and such, I'd say anywhere from 800-925 mbit/sec would be full spec.

But this is the best I can do:

6317176994.png

I'm running a Netgear R7000 router, which by all tests I've seen is a top notch router and should be able to move data at around 940 mbit/sec so I don't think it's the router.

I can get near-full gigabit speeds between computers, so the switching is all intact.

Is there a router setting somewhere I need to change to "get it all" ?

I'm not really in the mood to be changing hardware. What I have should be working fine.

Try plugging your computer directly into the modem and test it.

This will prove its not the router.

If your connection is still low it may be the modem itself or the lines, or network saturation ( remember most ISP only promise up to the advertised speed).

When are you doing speed tests? Maybe try it at 5am when network usage is low.

You may also want to try a different speed test location.

You may need to call the ISP at some point and have them look into it.

I had no trouble getting 925Mbit out of my AT&T U-Verse connection back at my old house.

Try plugging your computer directly into the modem and test it.

This will prove its not the router.

If your connection is still low it may be the modem itself or the lines, or network saturation ( remember most ISP only promise up to the advertised speed).

When are you doing speed tests? Maybe try it at 5am when network usage is low.

You may also want to try a different speed test location.

You may need to call the ISP at some point and have them look into it.

There is no Modem. It's FIOS. It's a direct Ethernet feed from the ONT in the Garage.

And you may be right. Maybe asking for a full gigabit during the work day is asking too much of it... but I don't think others have this issue.

My official "Start" date isn't until tomorrow, so I'll wait until Wednesday before calling them.

I feel like you are getting close, I pay for 50 mb/sec service and am getting it, between my 43 and change down and my 6 and change up im getting my speed.

don't expect that speedtest servers will provide real measurements when over 300Mbit, remember to change server an couple of times before relying in the result, some of the servers get bottlenecked.

So I am tempted to upgrade my FiOS to the gigabit. Out of curiosity what is the price you are paying and were you an existing customer? My new job I start soon is giving me $100 a month to cover cell phone and internet expenses... might splurge.

So I am tempted to upgrade my FiOS to the gigabit. Out of curiosity what is the price you are paying and were you an existing customer? My new job I start soon is giving me $100 a month to cover cell phone and internet expenses... might splurge.

Depending on your area, a lot of 1Gb fiber services are about $100-120/mo. YMMV.

Solved !!!

It was that fucking Traffic Meter. Turn it off !!!!

New Result:

6320815602.png
I don't understand. What do you mean by traffic meter?

I just recently bought gigabit FiOS at work, and the max I keep getting is 500-550Mbps. I called Verizon, and they just say I need their official router to do any diagnostics. I connected a laptop directly to the demarc point bypassing any router.

I don't understand. What do you mean by traffic meter?

I just recently bought gigabit FiOS at work, and the max I keep getting is 500-550Mbps. I called Verizon, and they just say I need their official router to do any diagnostics. I connected a laptop directly to the demarc point bypassing any router.

Well, each MFR will look different but if you have a Netgear router (you didn't specify) it will be under advanced settings and look something like this:

upload_2017-6-6_8-31-25.png

Turn that puppy off !

And then your speeds should look more like this:

6355608459.png

Now, you didn't specify your router. It is entirely possible your router can't handle the thru-put. Or your switch.

We need more info about your configuration to help.

Update: I see you connected directly to the ONT. I assume this is by Ethernet Cable.

If you are not getting gigabit this way then it's one of two things. Either the machine can't handle it, or FIOS isn't giving it to you.

I also assume you are using THEIR wiring, not some old shit from original construction. It could be cabling if that's the case.

Are you by chance using a USB Ethernet controller?

Last edited:

I'm in a package so I don't know the exact cost, but I can tell you that I have their top tier TV package, their top tier Phone package and now their top tier Internet. Toss in a couple of Cable Cards (I use Tivo's, not their boxes) and my bill after "fee's and taxes" is $210/month. It reflects a $55/mo discount for 2 years.

I never use regular speedtest sites due to the caching and other fudging the ISPs do. I always recommend the Capacity Test from ISP Geeks.

I've tried several times to get that ISP Geeks speed test to run and have failed epically. IE, Chrome, Firefox, it don't matter. It uses that GD Java and it just won't run.

With the g1100 and ethernet from the ONT you should be able to break 900 consistently, this is a well-tested configuration. They claim lower on the upload but everyone I've seen posting in the various forums with a good network setup has been able to repeatably test 920+ both ways. Around ~940 is the technical max due to ethernet and TCP overhead, yet there are still uninformed idiots complaining about it like verizon is false advertising. /facepalm

Most common problems:
Still on coax from ONT (#1 setup fail, sometimes tech fault sometimes user fault)
Shitty router (most consumer and even prosumer routers are not capable, especially with lots of connections or anything beyond very basic rules)
Shitty switch/cables
Shitty NIC (see: realtek)
Shitty computer: hard drive, browser or software bloat prevent computer from being capable of sustained gigabit (sad but more common than you'd think)
Wifi: I left shitty off here because that is a given.

Well, each MFR will look different but if you have a Netgear router (you didn't specify) it will be under advanced settings and look something like this:

Now, you didn't specify your router. It is entirely possible your router can't handle the thru-put. Or your switch.

We need more info about your configuration to help.

Update: I see you connected directly to the ONT. I assume this is by Ethernet Cable.

If you are not getting gigabit this way then it's one of two things. Either the machine can't handle it, or FIOS isn't giving it to you.

I also assume you are using THEIR wiring, not some old shit from original construction. It could be cabling if that's the case.

Are you by chance using a USB Ethernet controller?

Using a Cisco RV320 that I acquired elsewhere but if I'm bypassing the router I don't think that should matter. It has latest firmware installed. I saw a blue CAT6 cable from the ONT at the back of my workplace which is very long to the front of my workplace. It's at least 50' long. The terminating jack is CAT5e-100MHz which should support gigabit. Laptop that I'm testing has an i5 with gigabit network adapter. I'm using the RJ45 jack on the computer, nothing USB.

With the g1100 and ethernet from the ONT you should be able to break 900 consistently, this is a well-tested configuration. They claim lower on the upload but everyone I've seen posting in the various forums with a good network setup has been able to repeatably test 920+ both ways. Around ~940 is the technical max due to ethernet and TCP overhead, yet there are still uninformed idiots complaining about it like verizon is false advertising. /facepalm

Most common problems:
Still on coax from ONT (#1 setup fail, sometimes tech fault sometimes user fault)
Shitty router (most consumer and even prosumer routers are not capable, especially with lots of connections or anything beyond very basic rules)
Shitty switch/cables
Shitty NIC (see: realtek)
Shitty computer: hard drive, browser or software bloat prevent computer from being capable of sustained gigabit (sad but more common than you'd think)
Wifi: I left shitty off here because that is a given.

PC has an SSD and Realtek NIC. Looks like the coax is disconnected from the ONT. I ordered a used G1100, and it arrived bad so I got another one that should be arriving.

zii1v2W.jpg

GGB47xU.jpg

Once you receive the new G1100, break the lease, connect it, let it take the firmware updates, and call in if your not seeing the speeds. We can test throughput from the GWR to any Verizon branded router as long as it's managed in HNM . There have been cases in the past where the profile wasn't set properly, but it's extremely rare nowadays. Also, don't expect any assistance/support whatsoever if your not using "Verizon branded " equipment. This includes the Frontier G1100's on Ebay and Amazon. They run different firmware, hit different servers, and for the most part have been black listed.

Once you receive the new G1100, break the lease, connect it, let it take the firmware updates, and call in if your not seeing the speeds. We can test throughput from the GWR to any Verizon branded router as long as it's managed in HNM . There have been cases in the past where the profile wasn't set properly, but it's extremely rare nowadays. Also, don't expect any assistance/support whatsoever if your not using "Verizon branded " equipment. This includes the Frontier G1100's on Ebay and Amazon. They run different firmware, hit different servers, and for the most part have been black listed.

I did see those Frontier ones. I never ordered them though. The other G1100 that I'm sending back I eventually opened up. Two jumpers were touching each other and one antenna coax connector looked mangled near the top-front of the unit. I assume the two antenna cables should've been connected to the coax connectors. It was either tampered with or refurbished. The white LED did nothing but flash white on it. ipconfig never showed a default gateway address. Holding reset button for 3s plus did nothing.

Router arrived in the mail. I saw 800-850Mbps downloads a few times at the beginning. Now it just consistently shows 500-550Mbps again, and uploads are usually higher. Outside of the router shows Verizon but at default gateway, it shows Frontier. Should I return it? I'm going to leave it disconnected overnight to break the lease to see what results I get.

Just saying.. I'd kill for 400-500 down/up.. We're shafted in Aus. I'm on 15/1 ADSL2+, and the 'fibre' networks being rolled out have a 100/40 cap, and only a handful of areas even have this hooked up yet lol.

Back