not enough disk space to covert a 260gb iPhotos database

northwoodsf

Limp Gawd
Helped a friend upgraded her Macbook Pro from 10.9 to 10.13.
All worked fine but did not have enough hard drive space to convert a 260gb iPhotos database.
The drive is 500gb, with the 260gb iPhotos database, there is only 90gb free space left.

When opening Photos, it would try to convert to Photos database but there is no enough space.
Even if we move most of the files out, there is still not enough space because it needs double the space of the old database.

One way I think would work is to run macOS 10.13 from a USB drive that is 1TB, have the old database on the USB drive, and it would convert and put a new Photos database on the USB drive, then I would copy it back to the laptop. But that is a lot of work. and I do not have the hardware at the moment.

I really do not like the iPhotos/Photos, and iMovie apps because it gives people a tool that many can't really manage well.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Helped a friend upgraded her Macbook Pro from 10.9 to 10.13.
All worked fine but did not have enough hard drive space to convert a 260gb iPhotos database.
The drive is 500gb, with the 260gb iPhotos database, there is only 90gb free space left.

When opening Photos, it would try to convert to Photos database but there is no enough space.
Even if we move most of the files out, there is still not enough space because it needs double the space of the old database.

One way I think would work is to run macOS 10.13 from a USB drive that is 1TB, have the old database on the USB drive, and it would convert and put a new Photos database on the USB drive, then I would copy it back to the laptop. But that is a lot of work. and I do not have the hardware at the moment.

I really do not like the iPhotos/Photos, and iMovie apps because it gives people a tool that many can't really manage well.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Upgrade the computer to a 1TB SSD, install the OS and then use the migration assistant once you are done. Then convert the iPhoto database and she will enjoy a fast, up to date computer.

Move the Photo library onto an external HDD, once that is done hold down the option key and click Photos to set the new location of your Photo library. As always, backup, backup, backup before doing anything.

Thanks for the suggestions~
She will get a large USB drive then I will try the convert the photo library for her.

260gb is the largest photo library I have worked with so far.

Just make sure the drive is USB3 ;)

Which MBP model is it? For most MBP models you can buy ssd upgrades from OWC. I just upgraded my late 2013 model to 1Tb after facing similar problems with disk space. The upgrade kit they sell contains an USB3 enclosure which enables you to use the old ssd as a backup / storage drive.

Thanks for the suggestions~
She will get a large USB drive then I will try the convert the photo library for her.

260gb is the largest photo library I have worked with so far.

Make sure you get a lighting bolt to usb 3 enabled adapter or drive at least. Otherwise, it will take a long time to copy and convert the file over usb 2.

FINALLY... split the database.... have it in 50Gig chunks. if part of that db gets corrupted and it cannot repair that is a lot of data lost. WE limit TDMS datafiles for similar reasons... accessibility and backup

Oh, and a correction I was thinking of Thunderbolt adapters.

Back