Not an audiophile at all but Have a question about USB DAC/AMP would benefit me

Dan

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so Im building a am4 ITX combo. I recently just picked up a set of Philips SHP9500S
upgrading from a pair of logitech "7.1" headphones to these were huge for me. I dont really have intentions to drop big money for baller headphones but would buying something like this make my headphone experience better? I mostly play games like MMOS and playersunknown BG.

FiiO E10K USB DAC

Wondering your input. Thanks

Mobo in question
Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming-Wifi

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
With that mobo, the built in integrated DAC is really good, so you wouldn't notice a real world difference. I in fact did the same thing and ended up returning my DAC. I went with a pricier dac too.

Reactions: Dan
like this
Your cans are entry-level 32Ohm, and your motherboard has the latest ALC1220 and a headphone amp- honestly, unless you're hearing noise, you likely won't be able to notice a difference.

Reactions: Dan
like this
Your cans are entry-level 32Ohm, and your motherboard has the latest ALC1220 and a headphone amp- honestly, unless you're hearing noise, you likely won't be able to notice a difference.

Edit: Never mind I misread what you were attributing "entry-level" towards. Since I wrote it all out, I guess I'll still keep it.

This is just me arguing semantics, but there is nothing inheritly "entry-level" level about headphones being having a higher or lower impedance. There are some pretty high end 32ohm cans out there. It just means the are either more or less easy to power. As a side note, I have heard users express that there are 32ohm headphones that are as hard to drive as some higher ohm cans. I'm not exactly aure why this is, but I believe it has something to do with their efficiency or something along those lines.

To the original poster, you are good as others have posted(y)

Last edited:
Yeah, I could have put a comma in there {entry-level, 32Ohm} to make that a bit clearer. Here's what I was implying:
  • Entry-level- meaning audiophile entry-level, better than just about anything you'll pick up in a big-box, but not better to such a level that differences in decent DACs and Amps would be readily apparent
  • 32Ohm: this means that the cans are easy to drive. That's neither good nor bad, really, as Neapolitan6th points out, but it does mean that having an amp isn't strictly necessary, and you have one one your Gigabyte board anyway- only further comment is that some low-impedance cans like the extra power even if they don't strictly need it to get loud enough, which again, you've got covered

It's always best to test if in doubt. If you can hear a difference and can justify the price, go for it.

Unfortunately testing stuff at home has become harder and harder lately.

I think USB DACs are better for music, on-board or PCI cards are better choices if your focus is gaming.

Back