Not Able To Update To Windows 10

Dev747

n00b
I have a laptop with genuine windows 8.1 pre-installed. I want to update it to windows 10 but is unable to do so. The problem is as follow.

When I go to PC settings --> Update and recovery --> Windows Update, it keeps on searching for updates for much longer time but did not shows any updates available. You can check the screenshot attached (pic). It did not comes out of this state even after much time.

For other way I also downloaded windows 10 installer from Microsoft windows website. But when I run it, it shows the popup every time as in the attached screenshot (pic1). I tried re-starting windows multiple times but same thing happens.

Also few days before I accidentally deleted the default recovery partition in the laptop. Is this the reason for not able to update or there is some another glitch ?

I want to update to windows 10 without losing any data. Please help.

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 16
  • pic1.png
    pic1.png
    505.1 KB · Views: 20
I have a laptop with genuine windows 8.1 pre-installed. I want to update it to windows 10 but is unable to do so. The problem is as follow.

When I go to PC settings --> Update and recovery --> Windows Update, it keeps on searching for updates for much longer time but did not shows any updates available. You can check the screenshot attached (pic). It did not comes out of this state even after much time.

For other way I also downloaded windows 10 installer from Microsoft windows website. But when I run it, it shows the popup every time as in the attached screenshot (pic1). I tried re-starting windows multiple times but same thing happens.

Also few days before I accidentally deleted the default recovery partition in the laptop. Is this the reason for not able to update or there is some another glitch ?

I want to update to windows 10 without losing any data. Please help.
Have you tried installing iso to usb flash drive and installing 10 by booting off the flash drive?

Installing iso to usb flash drive and installing 10 by booting off the flash drive will be clean install, right? By this will I lose my data? By the way what are the sources to get the geniune Windows 10 iso free of cost as I already have windows 8.1.

When I upgraded my desktop I used the Windows 10 iso creator. Windows 10 Click the Download Tool now button. You could also try the upgrade now button. It downloads a file to upgrade but it didn't work for me.

After you run the tool It will downloaded the iso, copy to a USB thumb drive or I think DVD is also an option. When I did my upgrade I opened the setup file on the thumb drive and followed the prompts. There is a setting that you select that lets you keep your files. Pretty sure I only saw that as my only option.
After install Windows 10 was activated and ready to go. No extra work was required on my end.

Installing iso to usb flash drive and installing 10 by booting off the flash drive will be clean install, right? By this will I lose my data? By the way what are the sources to get the geniune Windows 10 iso free of cost as I already have windows 8.1.
I've done many of these installs but can't remember exactly. I've never seen a Windows installer that didn't offer an upgrade option. Just build the USB key, boot to it, and you should be given the option to upgrade, which should keep your data and programs in place.

On clean install Windows 10, do I need to use my previous Windows 8.1 product key or do I will get new one?

The key should be in the BIOS string and will be auto detected by the Win10 install process, no need to type anything in

The key should be in the BIOS string and will be auto detected by the Win10 install process, no need to type anything in
Windows 10 activation is handled by Digital Entitlement (at least for Upgrades/Retail installs) which means it checks the licensing status on Microsoft's Store in order to activate. For OEM activation it may still use the BIOS method but I'm unsure.

On clean install Windows 10, do I need to use my previous Windows 8.1 product key or do I will get new one?
If the computer has already had Windows 10 activated on the system, you can skip entering the product key when you reinstall.

Back