"Not a valid BIOS File" according to ASUS EZFlash3

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wanting to update the BIOS for my recently purchased ASUS ROG X670E Strix E-A. So I did the download and same BIOSRenamer that I've done for older ASUS Boards, but instead of success I got this weird response about not being a valid BIOS file. I tried out the same BIOS file, with 3 different names, and they were all rejected:

1679617219000.png

For grins, I tried out the download name of the file.
SX670EA is what the ASUS manual says to rename the file. [Section 2.2, BIOS Update Utility, p 2-23]
SX670EE is the file name assigned by BIOSRenamer.exe.

I had all 3 CAP files in the root dir of a USB drive, and tried each one of them in turn.:banhappy:

So if the current BIOS has a bug that prevents it from being updated, how am I supposed to update the BIOS? Is this some really noobish user error?
:(:confused::notworthy::hungover:

create a bios folder in c: and stick the one you renamed with the tool in it. point the bios to it. thats how i do my updates.

create a bios folder in c: and stick the one you renamed with the tool in it. point the bios to it. thats how i do my updates.
Hey pendragon1

I just followed the steps in your message above, but I still got a "not valid" error message.

Earlier I also tried the BIOS Flashback button on the rear panel of the motherboard, but that didn't work either.

i just checked and my last update i didnt rename. try downloading the file again and just stick it in the folder.

i just checked and my last update i didnt rename. try downloading the file again and just stick it in the folder.
Hey pendragon1

I did exactly as you said to do, with both the unrenamed BIOS file and my 2 renames. None of them were accepted as valid.

So I checked EZFlash info line to make sure that I was downloading the BIOS file for the right system. Check there. Right now, BIOS version 805. So I'm at a complete loss as to what to do? I can't help but feeling like you guys all think I'm new to this game, but I'm not. I've been building systems for 30+ years. What should I do now?

I've used 2 different USB drives on 2 different USB ports.

If that's the only file available, I would hold off until they release another. It's probably just a borked file on their end (check around online and see if others are suffering the same issue while you wait). If the next version also fails... well it may be time to worry. Cuz, Asus tech support ain't no fun.

If that's the only file available, I would hold off until they release another. It's probably just a borked file on their end (check around online and see if others are suffering the same issue while you wait). If the next version also fails... well it may be time to worry. Cuz, Asus tech support ain't no fun.
Yeah. I have seen some reddit posts about how BIOS 0925 is all screwed up, so even I was able to install 0925 I would be rolling back to 0805. Gotta say, this is not typical for ASUS BIOS releases.

After this latest go-around (even with all the help from pendragon1 ) I would be wasting my time to dink around any more with this release. At least, 0805 is stable.

+1 about ASUS tech support. The only part about ASUS I don't like is their RMA process.

Back