NOS Voodoo 5 5500 AGP sells for 406.00 on ebay

i have one of those sitting in my "bin o random crap" here at work. maybe i could make the company some dough?.....also have a Diamond Edge 3D (nvidia NV1) im sure that would go for a huge amount

now that is classic:

"Q: It says SLI ,You can't Sli AN AGP card can you?
A: Sure you can. SLI (by 3dfx's definition) was Scan Line Interface. The triangle setup and textures are sent to both chips and then each chip displayed every-other scan line. "

I keep a voodoo 3 to do glide games in an off rig, until glide emulation is perfect, these cards are still somewhat useful, and honestly, they ARE a nostalgia piece. Back when 3d gaming was so, new, fresh, impressive. Whoa, bi-linear filtering!?!?! WHOA! No more blocky textures, the ability to run polygon games at 640x480. Hell, alpha blending on textures, transperant smoke, all those things were so new. For those of us who fondly remember that changeover, 3dfx cards are worth keeping and having.

I got about 20.00 MORE than I paid for a Hercules Ultra TNT2 a while back on the 'bay. Bunch of guys fighting over it during the last minutes.

Hey, whatever makes ya' happy! :cool:

now that is classic:

A: Sure you can. SLI (by 3dfx's definition) was Scan Line Interface. The triangle setup and textures are sent to both chips and then each chip displayed every-other scan line. "
Good info, 1 caveat
SLI = Scan Line Interleave

now that is classic:

too bad you would need 2 agp slots. (i know some server type boards had them) sli ran in pci slots, and needed a 2d/3d card in the agp slot.

Q: It says SLI ,You can't Sli AN AGP card can you?
A: Sure you can. SLI (by 3dfx's definition) was Scan Line Interface. The triangle setup and textures are sent to both chips and then each chip displayed every-other scan line.

LOL!

I remember my V2 SLI setup (well, my second one) produced a weird and wonderfully.. toy-camera like batch of scanlines. They even appeared in screenshots. I miss it for that one reason.

Quake, Quake 2, Counter-Strike and Diablo 2, everything was beautiful in its way.

/old fart feelings

too bad you would need 2 agp slots. (i know some server type boards had them) sli ran in pci slots, and needed a 2d/3d card in the agp slot.

and there was no 3dfx configuration for multi-card SLI using any AGP cards or VSA-100's, thats also a limiting factor (ignoring AAlchemy, which was/is proprietary)

multi-card was found with Voodoo 1-2, used multiple PCI cards, and required a 2D capable card for output

and I'd like to see one of these "dual AGP" mainboards

as far as the thread goes, $400 isn't really that insane for NOS/Vintage 3dfx gear, I've seen the 6000's fetch over a grand in working condition, when they very rarely come up for sale (and by working, I mean enough so that it doesn't just short out and burn when you power it on)

and I'd like to see one of these "dual AGP" mainboards

)

i only mentioned this because if i said that you couldnt run agp sli because there were "not any" motherboards with 2 agp slots there were definitely be guys linking me to the rare multi agp specialty boards. (there was an asrock board with 2x agp slots, but only 1 was used for graphics, and possibly an older multi cpu server board with more than 1 agp slot)

i only mentioned this because if i said that you couldnt run agp sli because there were "not any" motherboards with 2 agp slots there were definitely be guys linking me to the rare multi agp specialty boards. (there was an asrock board with 2x agp slots, but only 1 was used for graphics, and possibly an older multi cpu server board with more than 1 agp slot)

there is no such thing as "AGP SLI" and any references I've found to multi "AGP" boards are for either prototypes plagued with issues or boards using the physical connector for some proprietary nonsense like a memory riser card

i know there is no such thing as agp sli. this is what i originally stated "too bad you would need 2 agp slots". i dont understand what your point of contention is.

Hmm, I still have my V5500 and I know I have the box stored somewhere... :D

Guys the Voodoo 5 5500 is SLI, it uses 2 graphics cores on one card, each core works as if it is a single PCI card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_5
The Voodoo 5 was the last and most powerful graphics card line that 3dfx Interactive released. All members of the family were based upon the VSA-100 graphics processor.[1] Only the single-chip Voodoo 4 4500 and dual-chip Voodoo 5 5500 made it to market.

On cards with more than one VSA-100, the chips are linked using 3dfx's Scan-Line Interleave (SLI) technology.

It does make a mean old game machine. For example try playing Messiah game by shiny on any modern pc and prepare for a world of ugly graphics in 16 bit only and with crashes all around.

I actually find collectors will pay top dollar to get something.
I'm also into mtn biking. I was chatting with a guy that got a top of the line bike for a 15 yr old vintage bike that was in good condition. The guy was a collector and wanted to trade.

So, I dont find it strange at all for the card to go for that.

Exactly, they are not the same.

3Dfx SLI is Scan Line Interleave which uses each GPU to draw a line across the screen in turn.
You can have this SLI with multiple PCI cards or GPUs on one card.

NVidias is Scalable Link Interface in reference to the links or PCI-E slots.
SLI is the use of 2 or more PCI-E slots.

People forget that 3dfx had SLI back before nVidia had mass market 3D cards. The original PCI Voodoo 1s could do SLI. You hooked two of them up and as others said, each rendered every other scan line. It was the original consumer multi-card solution, and in the day was the best you could get. With 2 SLI'd Voodoo 2s you could run GLQuake and Quake 2 at 1024x768 3D accelerated, which no other card could do at the time (all the single cards could only do 800x600 because of RAM limits). There were also companies that did "SLI on a card" high end solutions like Quantum 3D. Just two Voodoos on one card, and usually a 2D card as well (the Voodoo and Voodoo 2 didn't have 2D, just 3D).

nVidia bought 3dfx when they went out of business and decided to use the SLI name since it was recognized in enthusiast circles, even though technologically they have almost nothing to do with each other.

Good old Voodoo cards, back when Video cards had character. I still have my Voodoo 3.

I remember buying the voodoo 1 for quake when it first came out. A buddy and I went to the store to pick one up to try it out. Played some quake and went back to the store the next day to buy another one. I still have it in my pile of crap somewhere.

the good ole days :p

Man, I have the PCI version sitting in its box in pristine condition. Maybe it's time to sell it and upgrade my PC ;)

Back