Norway Wants to Build the World’s First Full-Scale Ship Tunnel

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Ever wanted to steer a ship through a mountain? That may be possible if this architectural feat ever comes to pass. Strangely, my first thought was how awesome of a bike path this tunnel would be. They estimate that 7.5 million tons of blasted rock would need to be removed in order make this.

The Stad Penninsula in Norway has one of the most dangerous coastlines in the region. As the meeting place between the Norwegian Sea and North Sea, the turbulent waters have claimed the lives of dozens sailors over the last several decades. Which may explain why Norway’s top coastal agency wants to dig a $272 million, mile-long “ship tunnel” to create a safer passage for commercial vessels. Designed to accommodate ships as massive as Norway’s Hurtigruten cruise vessels, the tunnel would be nearly 150 feet tall, 118 feet wide, and more than a mile long. The Norwegian Parliament earmarked one billion Norwegian kroner, or around $118 million, for the project in the National Transport Plan for 2014-2023. Construction is set to begin as early as 2018.

It is the correct video for the article. You'll have to bear through a few seconds of talking before seeing the proposed tunnel renders.

Looks like the wrong video

I think it is a great idea. Would be very cool if they can pull this off. I'd love to be on a cruise liner going through a tunnel. Hope they give a warning before hitting the fog horn.

It is the correct video for the article. You'll have to bear through a few seconds of talking before seeing the proposed tunnel renders.

I think it is a great idea. Would be very cool if they can pull this off. I'd love to be on a cruise liner going through a tunnel. Hope they give a warning before hitting the fog horn.

Give this man a peanut!

Not a bad idea, prolly should put wheels with rubber in case the ships rubs on the edges.

Wow they can do that with under $300 mill? In the us that would be 10x that.
Thats a really cool idea but 150ft wide is not wide for large ships and they would need a good bit of traffic control.

Little underwhelmed on the 1 mile long part. For reference the Panama Canal is 110 feet wide at the interesting parts.

A train tunnel was opened just several months ago, the Gotthard Base Tunnel in Switzerland, its 35 miles long and runs through the Swiss Alps. Pretty awesome engineering.

gotthard-base-tunnel-completion-designboom-09-818x573.jpg

The tunnel gained international attention mostly for its bizarre opening ceremony that involved naked people and Baphomet. The ceremony was two parts. In the tunnel was the naked people and outside was the Baphomet. You can look it up yourself.

$272mil? Seems a little low.

something like this could lower the sea level right? didn't watch the vid

Not in any noticeable way. The rock may even be dumped to make wave breaks. Plus, Japan, China, and Dubai have already added so much dirt to extend their coastlines and no-one noticed.

$272mil? Seems a little low.

Not in any noticeable way. The rock may even be dumped to make wave breaks. Plus, Japan, China, and Dubai have already added so much dirt to extend their coastlines and no-one noticed.

We Norwegians have tunnelmaking as a pasttime so it's cheap.

it would take a really big boat to fill up that tunnel (que family guy montage)
wK_DYA.gif

Wow they can do that with under $300 mill? In the us that would be 10x that.

Not just that, but in Europe, projects like that hold the engineer's company and construction outfits responsible for maintaining the upkeep of it for a certain amount of time as well. You typically see a much higher degree of both craftsmanship and raw materials being utilized.

Back