Norton Utilities or Norton Internet Security.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Komataguri, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Komataguri

Komataguri 2[H]4U

Which would you purchase, and why?

Personally, I'm leaning towards towards internet security now that I have no firewall currently now that my router was replaced by a crappy Netgear gateway/cablemodem bastard child.

However, I really need system tools like a Defragmenter. Does Utilities have a disk cleaning software?

I know alot of people are bashing Norton, but its just easier to put on my mothers computer.

-EDIT-

I mean SystemWorks, not Utilities.

2. ashmedai

ashmedai [H]ardForum Junkie

At least do McAfee instead, that's a little better.

3. Komataguri

Komataguri 2[H]4U

Haha.

No. McAfee is shit, That garbage won't be on my computer ever again.

4. ashmedai

They're both shit. McAffee just detects viruses better than Norton does.

If it has to has to be Systemworks or NIS then do NIS.

5. Komataguri

Komataguri 2[H]4U

*shrug*

Only problem I've ever had with Norton is with the assholes on the phone.

6. ashmedai

7. mosin

mosin [H]ardForum Junkie

I would definitely not choose McAffee, sin against God that it is. That said, I wouldn't choose Norton, either. It is a bigtime resource hog, and it litters the operating system with registry keys and associations. So, what would I get? For an antivirus scanner, I would pick NOD32 because it is the all time leader at intercepting the virus in the wild. Add to that the free Wormguard from DiamondCS, maybe buy a license for their TDS3 to catch Trojans, and a good firewall, like Kerio or Zone Alarm. To replace Norton Utilities, O&O Defrag, combined with RegScrubXP or CCleaner should do the trick. The good part is that you can try out all this stuff for free to see if you like it, and some are freeware. :)

8. Komataguri

Komataguri 2[H]4U

I hate Zone Alarm.

Really, the major incentive for going Norton is I can upgrade to INternet Security 2005 for...30 or 40 bucks and everything I want comes in a single comprehensive package.

if you know other software that comes in a comprehensive single package for a similar price, then please share. :)

9. mosin

mosin [H]ardForum Junkie

The good stuff isn't bundled like that. Go with whatever.

AOL? I saw the commercial, and it's bundled. :rolleyes:

10. Lowbatt

Lowbatt Gawd

Wait till you go to install NIS 2k5 and it craps out and you spend 2 hours using the reg cleaners and manualy searching the registry keys and removing them to get it to reinstall. Then it fail again and you get to repeat the steps again.

Or when one of the 17 startup files ore processes it runs fails to load and it stops working and kills your internet connection. Well that my thought on it anyways. I reapair pc's for a living and I see more problems NIS and NAV than any others.

11. Komataguri

Komataguri 2[H]4U

Before you get smartass about it, You should note that i said this is for my mothers PC.

So a whole package, that can be installed with just one disk in a very simple fashion, would be much easier then having her download programs from 50 sites and install them all seperately.

:rolleyes:

12. Bugalaman

Bugalaman Really a Ugandachick

NIS 2005 has been working great for me for 6 months now

13. mosin

mosin [H]ardForum Junkie

I do this for a living, and have been doing it for many years...probably more years than you have been alive.

You came on asking for opinions, and you got them from me, and from others, like Lowbatt, who do this sort of work for a living. Both McAffee and Norton are troublesome in many, many installs, but if you want to put Norton on your mom's computer, fine. You asked, and we answered, but that doesn't mean that you have to heed advice based on years of experience. That's all I was saying, so go for it.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass. AOL has a virus scanner and a firewall, and it is as good as Norton....sin against God that it is. :D

That's what it's all about, right? Why did you ask, if your mind was already made up?

14. Netrat33

Netrat33 [H]ardness Supreme

Don't listen to mosin. NIS2005 is a good program. Just because he's been doing "this" for years doesn't mean diddly. You'll many many people recommend NIS2005 and reviewers saying it's good and and IT people saying use it. You find those few outspoken people on a forum who had a problem with it 3 years ago (it's just a random number) and suddenly it's the worst program ever.

And especially for mom and pops who just want to surf the web a little, It's VERY good.
    Ultimately, rule of thumb, is better than nothing

15. jmroberts70

jmroberts70 2[H]4U

I've deployed about 150 workstations in the past year using NIS 2005. I've had a mix of experience with it -mainly regarding its demand of system resources. In most cases, it's been an acceptable program but systems with slower processors and limited amounts of RAM running WinXP (below 1Ghz and less than 512MB RAM) will definitely show a slow down in performance after installing NIS. I've seen anywhere from a 10-25% hit on these systems. Newer computers won't care as much but they will still slow down a bit.

With that said, the advantage to running NIS over a "cocktail" of free or nearly-free apps is obvious. Antivirus, spyware blocker (somewhat), firewall, parental controls, automatic updates... All in one package ain't too shabby. In addition, I've found that most novice users can easily understand the messages coming from NIS over platforms. Sadly, I'd like not to use it either as I don't like encouraging "bloatware" to continue when it's not necessary to make a program such as this be this resource-demanding but up 'till now I really don't have a choice.

Now that's funny!

16. ashmedai

It means he's dead tired of having to deal with it screwing up?

And you can find reviewers saying just about anything, the hard part is finding ones that accurately, methodically, and thouroghly arrive at some kind of useful information.

17. Netrat33

Netrat33 [H]ardness Supreme

Same can be said about a forum review/opinion. Do I know you? do you know me? No. But I at least theirs have more "credentials" for magazine/popular site.Does norton take up extra resources? Yes. Does it also do a good job? Yes

For a gamer or a slower end machine, they might not want norton. But It's not like that person made a mistake. Ultimately they are much more protected for a good price too. jmroberts said it perfectly

18. mosin

mosin [H]ardForum Junkie

Exactly.

Right.

Point well taken. It really is a question of choice. It works, and it eats resources. Also, it is a pain in the ass to remove. Are there better solutions? You bet, but they aren't bundled.

19. Rasha

Rasha Limp Gawd

uhm.. i dont mean to sound like an idoti (for those of you who are slow that was mispelled on purpose) but uhh is their a diffrence between the anti virus software as far as one detects a heck of alot more stuff then the other? reason being i get to download nav for free through business lisence

20. The Bryophyte

The Bryophyte Gawd

Here comes another potentially unpopular opinion....I don't recommend Norton to anyone because, like a few others here, I fix computers for a living and it breaks more often than any other AV software that I have ever used. This is especially true of the newest version in my experience.

I like Trend Micro Internet Security personally. It does basic AV functions, has a firewall, email scanning, updates without intervention and has site filters. It has done a great job with all of the above in my experience, though it's not so popular for some reason.

Lastly, what do you want a third-party defragmenter for? The windows version does enough for me....Same goes for disk cleaning. I'm just curious here.

21. mosin

mosin [H]ardForum Junkie

Norton's Corporate isn't quite the aggravation of the retail versions. If you can get standalone NAV without the bloat for free, do it. The virus software works well, and the complaint of us detractors is for other reasons. IE: bloat, clutter, etc. NAV alone isn't nearly the nuisance as SystemWorks or the firewall bundled retail version.

22. Ice Czar

Ice Czar Inscrutable

TightVNC, OpenSSH\Cgywin, Kerio Personal Firewall2, Process Guard, Firefox and NOD32

Remote Admin your Moms box ;)
    since you where looking for opinions