Norton Security Premium 10 devices $28 - Amazon 6/20 only

bwbob

Gawd
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
looks pretty good if you've got lots of devices that need virus protection...

"Norton Security Premium secures up to 10 PCs, Macs, iOS & Android devices, and includes parental controls to help your kids explore their online world safely, with 25GB of secure cloud PC storage"

download code or physical key card

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Security-Premium-Devices-Download/dp/B015724RQI?tag=b0c55-20
WIsh I'd seen this yesterday. Even if you only have 3 devices, this is a good price.....that said, I miss the days of free Norton from Fry's.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you think Norton is a resource hog or ineffective you should do some research. With the Insight engine and Sonar, you should be pretty well protected against unknown malicious files and have very fast full system scans. It is one of the few products that dont rely entirely on signatures for malware protection. Norton uses the same base technology as the enterprise product and is quite robust.

On a positive note, the 25 GB of backup storage should stack with each key. For example, after 2 years of usage (1 kwy per year) you should have 50 GB of backup storage. With the now defunct Norton Zone product keys and 3 PC Norton keys, I am up at about 275 GB of storage. I haven't seen documentation supporting this, but I believe that there is some basic single instance deduplication across files and devices so the same file is in my backup store only once.

Price shows $44.95 now.
EH

Guessing you haven't used Norton in at least 8 years.

Dude... I will also vouch for rather having a virus - it would probably be easier to remove, and at least I didn't have to pay for it. I always cringed whenever I saw Norton on a computer when I did IT. The first thing we did with any new computer (we sold a lot of Lenovo laptops and desktops) was remove the Norton "antivirus" from it. It's utter rubbish, and I've never seen a computer not run faster when it was removed. In fact, there were many occasions where I couldn't figure out what was wrong with a computer, what was sucking the resources, or causing virus like symptoms and it turned out to be Norton or some other crapware, and removing it and putting on something else fixed it. As for time, I did IT from 2012 through 2015.

(ps, still probably better than McAfee, though, lol...)

Dude... I will also vouch for rather having a virus - it would probably be easier to remove, and at least I didn't have to pay for it. I always cringed whenever I saw Norton on a computer when I did IT. The first thing we did with any new computer (we sold a lot of Lenovo laptops and desktops) was remove the Norton "antivirus" from it. It's utter rubbish, and I've never seen a computer not run faster when it was removed. In fact, there were many occasions where I couldn't figure out what was wrong with a computer, what was sucking the resources, or causing virus like symptoms and it turned out to be Norton or some other crapware, and removing it and putting on something else fixed it. As for time, I did IT from 2012 through 2015.

(ps, still probably better than McAfee, though, lol...)

Most of the time it uses 0% cpu cycles. Yes it uses some, but it's nothing. Your minimized web browser uses more cycles. But even if you could get it to use 2% constantly, you wouldn't notice it, because your machine sits at or near idle almost all the time and even when it's not you're rarely going to peg a modern CPU. Though I guess if you sold crap PCs then maybe this matters.

Sorry, but I remember when Norton sucked and it predated your IT experience by at least 4 years.

I don't use norton, but such hate for it is unfair. When I used it on windows 8 and 7 it was the lightest. This mytch about norton being resource hog is long long long gone. This is probably the lightest anti virus I used. Windows 10 I haven't been hit with any virus and built in support seems to be pretty damn good, but those who want anti virus I would recommend new norton anyday.

Most of the time it uses 0% cpu cycles. Yes it uses some, but it's nothing. Your minimized web browser uses more cycles. But even if you could get it to use 2% constantly, you wouldn't notice it, because your machine sits at or near idle almost all the time and even when it's not you're rarely going to peg a modern CPU. Though I guess if you sold crap PCs then maybe this matters.

Sorry, but I remember when Norton sucked and it predated your IT experience by at least 4 years.

Hey, if that's what you think and that's your personal experience, than great, I'm not gong to argue with you, it must be universal. I'm so glad you came on here to drop truth and give me my opinion, I totally agree with you now, and will completely ignore my experience working with about 300 different businesses with (no joke) 97-98% costumer satisfaction (ie clients straight up called me telling me to tell me to come back after I left the company).

Hey, if that's what you think and that's your personal experience, than great, I'm not gong to argue with you, it must be universal. I'm so glad you came on here to drop truth and give me my opinion, I totally agree with you now, and will completely ignore my experience working with about 300 different businesses with (no joke) 97-98% costumer satisfaction (ie clients straight up called me telling me to tell me to come back after I left the company).
I wasn't giving you an opinion. I was stating a fact. Your alleged experience sounds like Norton 2005-2007 (maybe 2008). The install process is simple. The uninstall process is only more difficult, in that it requires a single reboot, while the install does not require one. If you found it difficult, then either you were doing something wrong, or Lenovo did something to make it difficult. That is not how the retail software works.

But for the record, if I'm not typing, my CPU is 99% idle WITH NORTON running at 0%.
Sometimes it pegs the CPU at .1%, which of course makes the computer unusable has no meaningful affect on performance.

Attachments

• Task Manager.PNG
    Task Manager.PNG
    345.7 KB · Views: 35
I wasn't giving you an opinion. I was stating a fact. Your alleged experience sounds like Norton 2005-2007 (maybe 2008). The install process is simple. The uninstall process is only more difficult, in that it requires a single reboot, while the install does not require one. If you found it difficult, then either you were doing something wrong, or Lenovo did something to make it difficult. That is not how the retail software works.

But for the record, if I'm not typing, my CPU is 99% idle WITH NORTON running at 0%.
Sometimes it pegs the CPU at .1%, which of course makes the computer unusable has no meaningful affect on performance.

I'm glad you have that experience with it. I'm sure that's exactly the experience everyone has has, post 2007/8, since that's your experience, i mean what else could i possibly conclude from a data point of one? I mean, that's big data if i ever saw it, the statistical power of it is immense. I obviously don't have it on my computer, and it's probably because I'm stupid. And make things up. I've got an active imagination, you know. My mom tells everyone about it, all proud like, like I'm her special little boy.

I'm glad you have that experience with it. I'm sure that's exactly the experience everyone has has, post 2007/8, since that's your experience, i mean what else could i possibly conclude from a data point of one? I mean, that's big data if i ever saw it, the statistical power of it is immense. I obviously don't have it on my computer, and it's probably because I'm stupid. And make things up. I've got an active imagination, you know. My mom tells everyone about it, all proud like, like I'm her special little boy.

Why are you being so ignorant. Norton post 2008 has been the best Anti Virus I used. Fricking light on system. You just have a hard time admitting that it could be better. This is not just me and him. People hate norton only because it sucked back in the days and they carry that experience on for years and even after its gotten hell of a lot better to almost excellent. Did you use it recently? No one is calling you stupid but you keep being ignorant to the reality that a product could possibly get better. You are still proclaiming that he is wrong. I can back him any day and I am sure plenty here who have used post its worst times will say the same. Those days Norton was crap and resource hog are almost a decade old. I don't use it on windows 10 but I used it for few years before it and it was only one I used and I used to get anti virus for free through work but I changed jobs since then. I wouldn't touch anything but norton. This thng was light and out of the way. Yes it did suck a decade ago but you seem can't put that aside. He is talking about the product I don't think he is implying you are stupid. Although your ignorance to admit that its not the same product is your personal issue I guess.

Why are you being so ignorant. Norton post 2008 has been the best Anti Virus I used. Fricking light on system. You just have a hard time admitting that it could be better. This is not just me and him. People hate norton only because it sucked back in the days and they carry that experience on for years and even after its gotten hell of a lot better to almost excellent. Did you use it recently? No one is calling you stupid but you keep being ignorant to the reality that a product could possibly get better. You are still proclaiming that he is wrong. I can back him any day and I am sure plenty here who have used post its worst times will say the same. Those days Norton was crap and resource hog are almost a decade old. I don't use it on windows 10 but I used it for few years before it and it was only one I used and I used to get anti virus for free through work but I changed jobs since then. I wouldn't touch anything but norton. This thng was light and out of the way. Yes it did suck a decade ago but you seem can't put that aside. He is talking about the product I don't think he is implying you are stupid. Although your ignorance to admit that its not the same product is your personal issue I guess.

Sure. You like it. Great. That's not the experience I've had. How about this... I'll leave the thread, so you two can circle jerk around your Norton protected computers. I'm happy for you. That doesn't change my experience with it, on hundreds of computers, because every fucking Lenovo sold for years had that bloatware on it. And this was well after 2009, because i was still in grad school until 2012. But really... I'm happy for you, and anyone else that likes it. Don't be so mad that one person had a different experience than you. It makes you seem... So... Fanboyish. Like... I'm gonna start calling you Nortie Bros, or something. :D

The older version of SAV Enterprise (I think it was 7.5/7.6?) was bloody horrible. First, it simply didn't stop infections. My #1 ticket during these years was malware infections. It was stupidly child like to disable SAV so your malware could run rampant on a system.

Then there were the multiple "updates" that took machines clean out of production.

And removing it? Holy crap what a nightmare. Add/Remove? SAV Enterprise simply laughed in your face. You had to use a dedicated "Scrubber" and hope like hell the machine would still boot afterward.

Several years ago we switched to McAfee Corporate. I'll just leave that there without further comment :)

But that was then, and this is now. I hear it's become a much, much better product. If I wasn't already deep into a BitDefender multilicense for my home machines, I would have jumped on this in a heartbeat. Hell, if it comes up again I just might do it anyway.

The older version of SAV Enterprise (I think it was 7.5/7.6?) was bloody horrible. First, it simply didn't stop infections. My #1 ticket during these years was malware infections. It was stupidly child like to disable SAV so your malware could run rampant on a system.

Then there were the multiple "updates" that took machines clean out of production.

And removing it? Holy crap what a nightmare. Add/Remove? SAV Enterprise simply laughed in your face. You had to use a dedicated "Scrubber" and hope like hell the machine would still boot afterward.

Several years ago we switched to McAfee Corporate. I'll just leave that there without further comment :)

But that was then, and this is now. I hear it's become a much, much better product. If I wasn't already deep into a BitDefender multilicense for my home machines, I would have jumped on this in a heartbeat. Hell, if it comes up again I just might do it anyway.

I need to ditch AVG (paid) because they keep spamming me with "Speed up your PC" bullshit as a paid upgrade. Any comments on the consumer version of McAfee? I just want something that doesn't spam me to buy more after I am already in the minority of people that paid for the software :dead:

I need to ditch AVG (paid) because they keep spamming me with "Speed up your PC" bullshit as a paid upgrade. Any comments on the consumer version of McAfee? I just want something that doesn't spam me to buy more after I am already in the minority of people that paid for the software :dead:

McAfee is pretty clunky. Norton just has a much trimmed down interface. Try it out i think you have a 60day trial but requires credit card. But I am sure when you call in to cancel they offer you a better deal lol if you like it keep it if not don't. But I have McAfee on my work computer I don't like it a bit. We are transitioning to different vendor I heard but no one knows who it is.

If you like something that is not itrusive and runs on its on and no annoying pop ups. Then go with norton. Shit just runs in the background and never bothers you.

I can't possibly throw McAfee further away from my computers. Not a frickin' chance. Go with Norton, BitDefender, or another highly rated package.

I can't possibly throw McAfee further away from my computers. Not a frickin' chance. Go with Norton, BitDefender, or another highly rated package.

I would try Norton however their pricing is all over the place. I can't just buy one license for one PC for an inexpensive price.

Bingo. The cure is worse than the disease with Norton, nevermind that A/V in general is for noobs and DEU's (Dumb End Users).

And the whole virus thing is passe' now since the guys with any talent for creating viruses have moved on to Ransomware schemes anyway.

The first thing I do when i setup a customers computer is remove McAfee and then I recommend Norton, Avira or Kaspersky.
No antivirus is customer proof.

I would just as soon have a virus on my computer............

No kidding.
Last time I got a bug was in college.
Also, it took a decade but I managed to train my parents about this stuff and now I don't have to deal with virus/popup/hijacked browser calls anymore. Now it's mostly trying to find stuff or change stuff in Windows 10 for them.

ALSO, it's quite telling that these guys are desperate because when I had to buy my patents a laptop the best deal was at Best Buy and now they're including a 'boxed' (the box is actually empty and just has a URL and an activation code) anti-virus package but you also get emails from 'Geek Squad' hounding you to install and register the software. What a joke.

Installed it on all my systems, incredibly tiny cpu and memory footprint. If this slows your system, your system sucks. Period. I remember Nortons circa 99 or so and this is nothing of the sort.

Back